Key Of This Song?
FretDancer69
Jan 19 2008, 06:05 AM
GMC:er
I was propposed by a friend to play this song at our school:

Animals - Nickelback

so i listened to the song, not the type of music i listen too, but i liked it, it wasnt bad and it was catchy and cool. So i thought it would be a good idea, why not? It would definately be a crowd pleaser.

After i finished listening to the song i realised that there was no solo, and i kinda hate that tongue.gif, so i wanted to write my own for the song, based on the Key in which the song is made. But i have no idea of the key. The guitars are in Drop D tuning, i got the chords but i cant feel that "home" chord yet, or i havent tried it really.

I just wanted to know in which key the song is, so i can start writing my solo ASAP biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jan 19 2008, 06:05 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 19 2008, 11:14 AM
Instructor
A lot of power chords here smile.gif
Anyway the key is D minor.
If you use the D minor pentatonic scale you will be safe! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 19 2008, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jan 19 2008, 04:14 AM) *
A lot of power chords here smile.gif
Anyway the key is D minor.
If you use the D minor pentatonic scale you will be safe! biggrin.gif

thanks!! , can i also use D minors relative Major scale for the solo?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 19 2008, 10:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:58 PM) *
can i also use D minors relative Major scale for the solo?

Do you mean F major scale? Mmm... You have more notes in this way, it's the same of the D aeolian/natural minor scale. I think the D minor pentatonic sounds better for this song. Simply and rock! smile.gif Anyway, you should be add some note sometimes from the D natural minor.

--------------------

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 24 2008, 11:18 PM
Im trying to build a solo over the riffs of this song in the key of D minor but it just doesent sound good.... do you suggest any other scale..?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 24 2008, 11:31 PM
I think you should defintly try and use F major.

I'll just give you a list of the 7 mode scales you can use, I'm preety sure you can use even more but here's the ones I know for sure:

1)F Major
2)G Dorian
3)A Phrygian
4)A# Lydian
5)C Mixolydian
6)D Minor
7)E Locrian

These all have the same notes, just start on a diffrent note, hell this is simply the major scale modulations =p

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 24 2008, 11:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 24 2008, 11:31 PM) *
I think you should defintly try and use F major.

I'll just give you a list of the 7 mode scales you can use, I'm preety sure you can use even more but here's the ones I know for sure:

1)F Major
2)G Dorian
3)A Phrygian
4)A# Lydian
5)C Mixolydian
6)D Minor
7)E Locrian

These all have the same notes, just start on a diffrent note, hell this is simply the major scale modulations =p

I wouldn't agree on explanation of modes like this.
If the key is F major,using per example G dorian is pointless,
root is still F,which means F major scale. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 24 2008, 11:54 PM
Get to da Chopper!
well back on topic- NIckelback should really have a rock sounding solo, so go minor pentatonic all the way bro wink.gif

Work in those crazy licks tongue.gif

remember in drop D that notes on 6th string will not be from original box you've learned wink.gif

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Jan 24 2008, 11:57 PM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 25 2008, 12:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 24 2008, 11:54 PM) *
well back on topic- NIckelback should really have a rock sounding solo, so go minor pentatonic all the way bro wink.gif

Exactly.
Anyway, this thread is a good point to start a new lesson about D minor pentatonic soloing, around this type of riffing. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 25 2008, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 24 2008, 04:54 PM) *

Work in those crazy licks tongue.gif

remember in drop D that notes on 6th string will not be from original box you've learned wink.gif

Ok ill try creating one in Dm pentatonic or F Major scale! Ill try doing it as Rock-sounding as possible!

QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jan 24 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Exactly.
Anyway, this thread is a good point to start a new lesson about D minor pentatonic soloing, around this type of riffing. smile.gif

Yeah that would be awesome!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 25 2008, 10:38 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 25 2008, 12:52 AM) *
I wouldn't agree on explanation of modes like this.
If the key is F major,using per example G dorian is pointless,
root is still F,which means F major scale. smile.gif

Yeah I know that was my point tongue.gif
all of those "modulations" F major starting on a diffrent note, so it isn't an explanation of modes, it's an explanation of how each shape of the major scale is a mode of another scale smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 27 2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 25 2008, 10:38 PM) *
Yeah I know that was my point tongue.gif
all of those "modulations" F major starting on a diffrent note, so it isn't an explanation of modes, it's an explanation of how each shape of the major scale is a mode of another scale smile.gif

Got it,just be careful when sharing it that way,
might send someone to wrong path wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:47 AM