Ibz / Dimarzio Pickups
mattacuk
Mar 21 2008, 07:04 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi all smile.gif

I am putting my hard earned aside for a new guitar, this one has to last me some time so I want make the right choice the first time!!

Does anyone have an Ibanez loaded with "DiMarzio/Ibz" pickups, the ones usually found on the presitge models? If so, are they "real" DiMarzios? are they any good? I want a guitar with really good pups so Im just looking around to see whats hot and whats not smile.gif

I would really like a Black JEM, but I cant see myself being able to save that much up! In the UK they cost around $3000 USD which is quite franky rediculous blink.gif

So I am thinking about an RG in the prestige range! I wont be buying for a few months, but im trying to get all my research done properly smile.gif If anyone can give me some more info on which Presitge models too look at i would be most greatful.

Many thanks !!:)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 21 2008, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
I have the RGA321 (not the RG321) and that has the Ibz DiMarzios in them.

I think Ibz DiMarzios are made for Ibanez by DiMarzio?

I really like them, I do prefer DiMarzio EVOs, but honestly they are great stock pick-ups.

Totally recommend you go try one in store (I managed to get my RGA321 for £900).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 21 2008, 07:38 PM
I have the IBZ v7 and v8 in my RG550 20th. They're not as hot as I like my pickups (I like actives or really hot passives, like the Evo), but they are very good stock pickups. Might look at some Jacksons, they come with SDs out of the box around the same price point. The build quality should be comparable as they both will be built in Japan at that level.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 21 2008, 08:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Same here with the Rg 550 and I hate the stock pickups! Rg Prestige guitars are great but they need new pickups to reveal their true potential.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Mar 21 2008, 08:24 PM
If you don't care about looks, get an RG1570, and slap some proper dimarzios in them, or look into a used RG550/570, and put some dimarzios into them

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 21 2008, 08:24 PM
Instructor
I've tried a few Ibanezes with the DiMarzio/ibz pickups in stores, and i like them way better than the V8/V7 pickups.

They arent as highclass as the DiMarzio Evo's, but way better than your average stock-pickups.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 21 2008, 08:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
So the general feeling is that the DiMarzio/Ibanez pickups are a step above standards, but just not quite as good as Evos? Im just thinking about recording quality really smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 21 2008, 08:45 PM
Lets go fishing!
Im thinking this might be a good guitar for me!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 21 2008, 11:27 PM
OK for a demo, here it is.

S is on my S470 mahog body, bolt on maple neck w/ DMz Evos.
RG is my RG550 20th, basswood body, bolt on maple neck
V is my DV8R w/ SD Livewire Mustaine Sigs. Pretty similar to my Evos. Mahog body w/ thru mahog neck.

This is a really original riff that I in no way stole from a very popular song.

All record on the exact same amp setting through my PodXTLive thru reaper.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  RG.mp3 ( 176.55K ) Number of downloads: 962
Attached File  S.mp3 ( 166.76K ) Number of downloads: 846
Attached File  V.mp3 ( 144.72K ) Number of downloads: 574

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 22 2008, 02:09 AM
I have an Ibanez s2170 prestige. I Have no problem at all with the stock IBZ'z I think that they are rather good. I love the center pickups tone. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them. Im sure there are better but They are a very fine pickup.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 22 2008, 02:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 21 2008, 08:24 PM) *
I've tried a few Ibanezes with the DiMarzio/ibz pickups in stores, and i like them way better than the V8/V7 pickups.

They arent as highclass as the DiMarzio Evo's, but way better than your average stock-pickups.

+1

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 22 2008, 05:36 AM
Hey dude, long time no talk (finally got my password redone after I forgot it a few months ago haha)

I'm ordering a RG2610Z tomorrow. I never use the other pickups so I figure to hell with them. I played it in the store (just to make sure) and it kicks ass!!

Its pickup is an actual Seymour Duncan "full shred"...a TB10 if I remember right. Almost no music stores have then. Well worth the $1100 in my point of view.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 23 2008, 10:50 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 21 2008, 10:27 PM) *
OK for a demo, here it is.

S is on my S470 mahog body, bolt on maple neck w/ DMz Evos.
RG is my RG550 20th, basswood body, bolt on maple neck
V is my DV8R w/ SD Livewire Mustaine Sigs. Pretty similar to my Evos. Mahog body w/ thru mahog neck.

This is a really original riff that I in no way stole from a very popular song.

All record on the exact same amp setting through my PodXTLive thru reaper.

This is REALLY kind of you Goliath thankyou. I can hear the difference in the evos!! but they all sound pretty good.

What says you all on Di Marzio PAF pros? after all the PGM301 is loaded with them and about prestige money smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Mar 23 2008, 11:24 PM
ive played my friends Ibanez SZ that he changed out the neck pickup for a PAF pro and it sounds really good. Nice strong warm sounding pickup.

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
glowshadow
Mar 30 2008, 11:13 AM
Learning Roadie
i own a 2570 rg

and last week I replaced the stock pickups with active emg and it sounds so much better

but U know..evryone got their own taste

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 30 2008, 04:20 PM
I have RGT 320q with stock pickups, and well I am not eager to change them. I really like the original ones. Maybe I am not realizing the full potential, because I am not very experienced in changing pickups.

Thanks for the test Goliath. As in the end everyone has its personal taste, actually the one sound I liked the less in your recordings were the EVOs

Also, I don't know, but I read somewhere claiming that some OEM Ibz/Dimarzio are actually PAF pros... It seems to have a lot of controversy about the topic.
So, I am afraid of giving up the extra money for new pickups without a considerable benefit...

This post has been edited by Gus: Mar 30 2008, 04:24 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 30 2008, 06:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
Some really cool posts here guys! Its very interestive to get everyones perspective on pickups !:)

Looks like it Di Marzio PAF Pros x 2 and a Jem Single coil for me - Ill let you know what I think of them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
Hey Mattacuk, did you found what you were lookin for ? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 31 2008, 08:23 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 30 2008, 08:23 PM) *
Hey Mattacuk, did you found what you were lookin for ? smile.gif

I did Ivan smile.gif I now understand that the "Ibz/Dimarzio" brand pickups are considered good pickups, but there is some ambiguity surrounding who actually makes them laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:44 AM