Uncomfortable When Practicing
liveOASISforever
Apr 21 2013, 08:44 AM
GMC:er
Hi

I practice playing guitar on the edge of my bed. I can practice for about a hour at the most then I start to get a sore back and have to get up and walk about then come back and practice again and this process repeats itself. I think to get the most out of practicing you need to be comfortable , relaxed and focused.

I was looking to buy a good sturdy chair with adjustable arm rests that I can sit on for long periods of time. Does anyone know of any good chairs.

What to you guys and girls sit on when practicing and do any of you experience the same problems as I do.

Cheers Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I suffer from almost the same problem. I've just had 2 shots in my neck for bulging discs/pinched nerves and the next step is surgery. Cosmin suggested I get a guitar stand/brace, which would help, but also i've found a strap that makes it much easier as well as playing standing up half the time.

Find a strap that has a lot of padding on the shoulder and some stretchy material that allows the weight of the guitar to bounce on it as opposed to your shoulder. Originally I purchased that strap for my bass, which is considerably heavier than a guitar, but now use it on my guitar and it has made a world of difference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 21 2013, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 21 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Hi,

I suffer from almost the same problem. I've just had 2 shots in my neck for bulging discs/pinched nerves and the next step is surgery. Cosmin suggested I get a guitar stand/brace, which would help, but also i've found a strap that makes it much easier as well as playing standing up half the time.

Find a strap that has a lot of padding on the shoulder and some stretchy material that allows the weight of the guitar to bounce on it as opposed to your shoulder. Originally I purchased that strap for my bass, which is considerably heavier than a guitar, but now use it on my guitar and it has made a world of difference.

Sorry to hear that mate hopefully you dont need to get surgery.

Am going to have a look online to see if I can find a strap as you described that sounds like a good idea smile.gif

Thanks Sean

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 21 2013, 01:41 PM
Instructor
There are a few health issues addicted to the insatrument we play. Sometimes it's good to buy yourself w high seat (pub-like) with a foot prop. Also You can make one guitar strap adjusted for practising so the guitar is higher than it would be while playing on stage. This helps to keep Your back straight. Classical players had back issues very often and that's why they use footrests or a special rest betwwen the guitar and the leg (don't quite shure how it's named in english)

I use the seat that's attached in the photos

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 21 2013, 01:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 21 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Hi,

if you have a bulging disc, do you practice without a strap as to put the pressure on your legs

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 21 2013, 08:44 AM) *
Hi

I practice playing guitar on the edge of my bed. I can practice for about a hour at the most then I start to get a sore back and have to get up and walk about then come back and practice again and this process repeats itself. I think to get the most out of practicing you need to be comfortable , relaxed and focused.

I was looking to buy a good sturdy chair with adjustable arm rests that I can sit on for long periods of time. Does anyone know of any good chairs.

What to you guys and girls sit on when practicing and do any of you experience the same problems as I do.

Cheers Sean

I would suggest geting a set up that allows your left leg to get higher than your hip(assuming you play right handed guitar), no arm rests that can get in the way, and sit or get the back rest that elongates the back (keeps you sitting up straight)

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 21 2013, 02:09 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 21 2013, 01:41 PM) *
There are a few health issues addicted to the insatrument we play. Sometimes it's good to buy yourself w high seat (pub-like) with a foot prop. Also You can make one guitar strap adjusted for practising so the guitar is higher than it would be while playing on stage. This helps to keep Your back straight. Classical players had back issues very often and that's why they use footrests or a special rest betwwen the guitar and the leg (don't quite shure how it's named in english)

I use the seat that's attached in the photos

Hi Darius

I have seen them high seats online before. I would really like to try one out. I am sure it would help my back a lot. I will have a look online and see if I can find one for a good price. It is so frustrating trying practice guitar and all that I can think off is the cramp in my back.

Thanks mate

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 21 2013, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Hope You'll find the best solution for You

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2013, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif I am constantly aware - I have disciplined myself in this direction - about my position when playing. I always tend to keep my back straight and not bend over the guitar neck without being conscious of it.

I use a normal wooden chair, which most people find pretty uncomfortable, but since it has no rests, no nothing, I have transformed it into my constant reminder of the fact that I need to keep my back straight and have a normal and healthy posture while practicing.

Also, constant breaks - 5 minutes every hour or so, when you get off the stool/ chair and walk around, maybe do some stretching of the whole body. It's all a matter of awareness and self discipline smile.gif I don't think it's compulsory to have a dedicated chair.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 21 2013, 03:21 PM
I am similar to Cosmin...I use a fairly uncomfortable wooden chair with a really thin cushion on the seat..My weight compresses that to almost nothing. I also don't recommend a chair with armrests as that just gets in the way of the guitar.
I have had fairly heavy work and played hard sports during my life and my back has suffered...I therefore am very aware of how to be conscious of posture...Straight back is good...but relaxing is also good. One physio told me to pretend that (like a puppet) I had a string attached to the top of my head and it to let it pull the top of my head up....this can be practised when walking as well....It sounds silly but it was useful advice for me. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 21 2013, 08:46 AM) *
if you have a bulging disc, do you practice without a strap as to put the pressure on your legs

Actually, what aggravates it more than anything is sitting straight up. At work, I have my chair leaning all the way back to where I am almost at a 45 degree angle looking up to my screen, looks funny, but takes much of the pressure off the shoulders. I'm an art director so stare at a computer screen much of my life. Answering your question, yes, while sitting down the pressure from the guitar is on my leg but I still wear the strap and it really helps, but when I get extremely sore I will stop playing for a little bit. I can feel it, but I don't get extremely sore when I play standing up.

I'm determined not to let it stop me or progressing, however, it's something I have to consider, no other way around it.

I'll make a little video of the strap I am talking about, it's not specifically for back problems, it's just for heavy guitars and basses, but it makes all the difference in the world.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 21 2013, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2013, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 21 2013, 02:21 PM) *
I am similar to Cosmin...I use a fairly uncomfortable wooden chair with a really thin cushion on the seat..My weight compresses that to almost nothing. I also don't recommend a chair with armrests as that just gets in the way of the guitar.
I have had fairly heavy work and played hard sports during my life and my back has suffered...I therefore am very aware of how to be conscious of posture...Straight back is good...but relaxing is also good. One physio told me to pretend that (like a puppet) I had a string attached to the top of my head and it to let it pull the top of my head up....this can be practised when walking as well....It sounds silly but it was useful advice for me. biggrin.gif

Awesome comparison and habit biggrin.gif The one with the puppet!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 21 2013, 06:13 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2013, 03:05 PM) *
Hey man smile.gif I am constantly aware - I have disciplined myself in this direction - about my position when playing. I always tend to keep my back straight and not bend over the guitar neck without being conscious of it.

I use a normal wooden chair, which most people find pretty uncomfortable, but since it has no rests, no nothing, I have transformed it into my constant reminder of the fact that I need to keep my back straight and have a normal and healthy posture while practicing.

Also, constant breaks - 5 minutes every hour or so, when you get off the stool/ chair and walk around, maybe do some stretching of the whole body. It's all a matter of awareness and self discipline smile.gif I don't think it's compulsory to have a dedicated chair.

Hi Cosmin

I think I need to discipline myself more when it comes to posture.It is very important to resolve aches and pains associated with anything to prevent long term damage. Something I worry about

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Apr 21 2013, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 21 2013, 08:39 PM
Hereyago...

Found it. There are others that come up when searching for Levis Padded Guitar Straps, but it is this item number: PM48NP3

Levy's PM48NP3 3.5" Padded Neoprene Guitar Strap

You can order it here...
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEVPM48NP3

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 21 2013, 08:40 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2013, 03:11 AM
Instructor
This is a very good topic but in my case I have never paid attention to this. I have used my bed when I was younger and a normal chair until these days. I'm curious to know if there are some chairs that are build specially for practicing guitar and to make use be straight to take care of our back.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2013, 07:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 21 2013, 05:13 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

I think I need to discipline myself more when it comes to posture.It is very important to resolve aches and pains associated with anything to prevent long term damage. Something I worry about

True that mate. I became even more careful, when I noticed my mom's back problems. She used to work a lot at the office and when she retired, she had to go to physio therapy, because her back was in a very bad shape.

Do not in any circumstances, sit too much without taking breaks and moving around. I would recommend, abs or pushups if you are in the right environment smile.gif Send me a PM and I'll send you links towards a great Abs program that has great effect on your spine's health as well.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2013, 12:19 AM
I feel your pain. As a guy with a couple of fractured vertebrae, good chairs are a must not a nicety. I tried several and for the price, this one at an office supply place the only real contender. I ended up getting a that was a lot bigger since I'm a big guy, but if you are somewhat regular sized, this one is worth a sit for about $200.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Mesh-Manage.../product_796648

Attached Image

Lumbar support is critical. (low back support)

The AERON chair is the best they make but was waaaaaaay outside my budget.

hope this helps smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 26 2013, 01:02 AM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 26 2013, 03:10 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 25 2013, 07:19 PM) *
I feel your pain. As a guy with a couple of fractured vertebrae, good chairs are a must not a nicety. I tried several and for the price, this one at an office supply place the only real contender. I ended up getting a that was a lot bigger since I'm a big guy, but if you are somewhat regular sized, this one is worth a sit for about $200.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Mesh-Manage.../product_796648

Attached Image

Lumbar support is critical. (low back support)

The AERON chair is the best they make but was waaaaaaay outside my budget.

hope this helps smile.gif

Todd

Glad to see someone with good insight on mesh chairs for a question.

My current chair: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Herrick-Bon...oduct_SS1058634

I have never known anyone to use a mesh chair or really have been to a store to try one as I end up just buying roughly the same chair every few years. Do they last about the same or less?

Because I love the idea about having a chair that breathes, just so when it is hot out you can feel some air on the back and not have a hot spot from sitting in the same seat for hours on end. Also enjoy the arm features on that chair you posted, that way I don't have to move up on the chair to play the guitar I could drop the arms down and be done with it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:20 PM