This Is More Of A Computer Question
Compound9
Jan 9 2010, 12:10 AM
GMC:er
i live out in the sticks and i get shite bandwidth. it takes ages to load the videos. now im a patient guy i dont mind waiting... once. but if i leave the page and come back it has to reload it again >:( is there anyway round this? im using windows XP with IE

cheers guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 9 2010, 12:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Compound9 @ Jan 9 2010, 12:10 AM) *
i live out in the sticks and i get shite bandwidth. it takes ages to load the videos. now im a patient guy i dont mind waiting... once. but if i leave the page and come back it has to reload it again >:( is there anyway round this? im using windows XP with IE

cheers guys

could you open multiple tabs

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 9 2010, 12:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
What about a satellite internet subscription ??? It's pretty fast downwards but upwards it stinks....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 9 2010, 01:02 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I guess you've tried this but just in case, choose low quality in the video window, that should help streaming with low speed connections.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kahall
Jan 9 2010, 02:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Once the video loads move the arrow sliders on the player in just a smidge so that the video will not have to reload until you are done with it.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 9 2010, 09:18 AM
Learning Roadie
dont leave the page..

you are streaming the videos, and if you go away from the page you have to stream it again.. use tabs or another browser window if you need to go elsewhere for a while..

also, usually the default timeout for a session on a server hosting a webpage is 20 minutes.. what that means is if you leave a page for 20 minutes, whatever you've done before, the server will have "forgotten", which in many cases means you have to start over (ie: logging in again, etc..).. I dont know if this is the case on GMC but you should be aware of it... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 9 2010, 05:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 9 2010, 09:18 AM) *
dont leave the page..

you are streaming the videos, and if you go away from the page you have to stream it again.. use tabs or another browser window if you need to go elsewhere for a while..

also, usually the default timeout for a session on a server hosting a webpage is 20 minutes.. what that means is if you leave a page for 20 minutes, whatever you've done before, the server will have "forgotten", which in many cases means you have to start over (ie: logging in again, etc..).. I dont know if this is the case on GMC but you should be aware of it... smile.gif

A bit related question, which came to my mind now:

A long time ago I wanted to show my parents' a video on their laptop at their home. They don't have wireless, so I loaded the video in youtube and brought the computer down to the living room. Even though the video was loaded it could not be played. It's not really anything that bothers or bothered me much, but I was just wondering why that cannot be done? Or maybe I did something wrong...

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 9 2010, 06:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
We have a laption with a GSM card, i.e. mobile internet connection. It works very well for streaming videos. I've been checking out GMC lessons on it and streaming TV from channels that offres that. Works flawlessly. I think this is at 8Mbit, a set monthly fee, cut to 2 Mbit when exceeding the maximum data transfer limit a month. Still streams well all the time.
Ofc it's an extra cost but you could use the laptop anywhere, possibly where you live too. Today I was watching Tour-de-ski while in the McDonalds drive through. laugh.gif
Works on the bus, in the tube etc. ..yeah, and the McDrive.

+Quote Post
Compound9
Jan 9 2010, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
so i guess theres not like a setting i can change, its a stream system and i have to find a work round. ok, no probs, loads of tabs it'll be then lol

cheers guys

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 9 2010, 06:04 PM) *
We have a laption with a GSM card, i.e. mobile internet connection. It works very well for streaming videos. I've been checking out GMC lessons on it and streaming TV from channels that offres that. Works flawlessly. I think this is at 8Mbit, a set monthly fee, cut to 2 Mbit when exceeding the maximum data transfer limit a month. Still streams well all the time.
Ofc it's an extra cost but you could use the laptop anywhere, possibly where you live too. Today I was watching Tour-de-ski while in the McDonalds drive through. laugh.gif

Mobile internet @8Mbit, and if you cross the data limit it's only 2Mbit?? OMG, I'm definitely living in the wrong country biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 9 2010, 11:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 9 2010, 11:19 PM) *
Mobile internet @8Mbit, and if you cross the data limit it's only 2Mbit?? OMG, I'm definitely living in the wrong country biggrin.gif

Though it's not quite the same, when I lived at home we used to have 20 mbit internet, use as much as you want, for 12 euros a month. I think they've just upped it to maybe 40mbit now though, but same price. Compared to other prices here in Denmark, it's dirt cheap (I pay 33/month euros for 10 mbit here!).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 9 2010, 11:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 9 2010, 11:19 PM) *

Oh well, it gets even better.... If You have 3 network it's 8 MBit all the time and unlimited download if You pay the maximum fee.... (the other operators have a limit) which is 29 Euro/month... and it works just everywhere here in Sweden, even that in some locations the speed are dropped due to bad coverage.... (like up in the north...) Yeah, You definitely have to move to Sweden Ivan!!! laugh.gif

//Staffay

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 9 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Though it's not quite the same, when I lived at home we used to have 20 mbit internet, use as much as you want, for 12 euros a month. I think they've just upped it to maybe 40mbit now though, but same price. Compared to other prices here in Denmark, it's dirt cheap (I pay 33/month euros for 10 mbit here!).

Yeah, You danes have dirt cheap telephony as well.... but I guess thats because You lost Skane to us some hundreds years ago and now You have such a small country so its enough with some three-four mobile stations all over the country.... laugh.gif
Btw. I pay 35€ for 24 MBit, but since its ADSL it stinks upwards.....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 10 2010, 12:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jan 9 2010, 11:45 PM) *
Yeah, You danes have dirt cheap telephony as well.... but I guess thats because You lost Skane to us some hundreds years ago and now You have such a small country so its enough with some three-four mobile stations all over the country.... laugh.gif
Btw. I pay 35€ for 24 MBit, but since its ADSL it stinks upwards.....

//Staffay

What I meant to write though too was that it's not mobile of course.

I don't have anything besides a mobile phone any way, so I don't know much about telephony prices. I know there's some "call all other non-mobile phones as much as you want for 30 dkr (€4) a month" from the company at which I get my internet, but as said... I don't use it, so I don't know really. With Telmore I pay €10/month for free text messaging and I don't know the call price, but I think there's some offer now like "call all Telmore customers for 30 dkr/month", but I'm not sure. I don't call people enough to take advantage of that anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 10 2010, 12:37 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Videos will always load from beginning if you leave the lessons page. But once you're watching for example main video and load it whole, when I watch some video parts of the lesson and get back to videos I watched earlier (in the same lessons page) - they load up instantly! smile.gif

8Mbit mobile internet! Now that is something + it works underground and in the bus ? smile.gif hehehe cool

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 10 2010, 01:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 10 2010, 12:03 AM) *
What I meant to write though too was that it's not mobile of course.

I don't have anything besides a mobile phone any way, so I don't know much about telephony prices. I know there's some "call all other non-mobile phones as much as you want for 30 dkr (€4) a month" from the company at which I get my internet, but as said... I don't use it, so I don't know really. With Telmore I pay €10/month for free text messaging and I don't know the call price, but I think there's some offer now like "call all Telmore customers for 30 dkr/month", but I'm not sure. I don't call people enough to take advantage of that anyway.

Well, I know since I've been working with a lot of Danish people in the mobile-phone business in both Sweden & Denmark & Norway, when we had SMS-prices at 2 SEK, You had about 0.50 SEK..... Of course I understand that it was prizes for a permanent connection... But it's really true, what makes mobile telephony in Sweden more expensive is the size of the country and the masts they have to put up in order to cover the whole country... Btw. I stopped using mobile phones totally since I'm sick of beeing called all the time.... if people really wants something important, they can call me on the fast-net phone or way better - they can make a visit!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 10 2010, 01:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jan 10 2010, 01:06 AM) *
Well, I know since I've been working with a lot of Danish people in the mobile-phone business in both Sweden & Denmark & Norway, when we had SMS-prices at 2 SEK, You had about 0.50 SEK..... Of course I understand that it was prizes for a permanent connection... But it's really true, what makes mobile telephony in Sweden more expensive is the size of the country and the masts they have to put up in order to cover the whole country... Btw. I stopped using mobile phones totally since I'm sick of beeing called all the time.... if people really wants something important, they can call me on the fast-net phone or way better - they can make a visit!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

People don't call me anyway, so I'm fine! laugh.gif But yeah, I'd imagine the mast thing as being true.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2010, 02:01 AM
Instructor
For comparison, I will tell you that I have prepaid mobile internet package at speeds ranging from 56Kbit (70% of the time, this is the speed I'm getting outside of town, and I bought it because I need it when I'm travelling!). When I'm lucky enough to have UMTS based connection outside of the cities (in cities I don't have it all the time as well, perhaps 75% of the time, depending on the city and part of the city it varies), then the speed is somewhere in the estimate of 512-1024Kbit.

It gets better.. There is NO option for the flat connection, there is only prepaid mobile internet available, where I bought the modem for 30e, and I have to buy data transfer every time I spend it. the price for 2GB data transfer is 12e!
But that is not all, I must spend 2GB in two months, otherwise it will be invalid.

Good side is having 50MB data package fro 3e, so I usually use that and turn off the pics on my netbook. This enables me to work on the forums at least, and if you are on the same connection as on 56K dial up modems, be sure that 50MB will be enough for 2 months laugh.gif

Oh, did I mention I don't have access to the network in some 10% of the cases... laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 11 2010, 03:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 9 2010, 06:04 PM) *

that's pretty fast! I needone of those, I think in Colombia they only go up to 1.2Mbit still sad.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:38 PM