Help Me With A Song.
JVM
Dec 2 2008, 06:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys. Let me get right down to it. The way I write songs is (I think) pretty unconventional. I take a strong riff that I really like, and then I explore it from there, with variations, other riffs, little solo passages or whatever.

When I start getting enough material or inspiration around one of these ideas, I begin recording. I don't record before because I figure if I can't remember an idea or riff long enough for other ideas for form around it, it's not that great. Obviously, sometimes there are exceptions, but this isn't one of them.

The recording process consists of just banging out each riff and or chord progression and or idea and or lick, you get the idea. It's completely unstructured, I don't use a metronome, I don't try to make it sound pretty or anything, just get everything down. I equate it with an outline for a paper or book.

So I'm at that stage again. I figure this is the very best time to get advice and constructive criticism on something I'm working on because at this stage it's still a pretty raw idea and is not too influenced by a possibly flawed structure or something, so here I will post my latest collection, aptly titled riffs collection 1, for you to listen over. Again, it's not supposed to be pretty, and some of it is actually played pretty badly, but please excuse this smile.gif

Attached File  riffscollection1.mp3 ( 3.48MB ) Number of downloads: 348

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 2 2008, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I think you got some good ideas going in their Joe smile.gif Kinda got a Lenny Kravitz vibe from the riffs. I would recommend you take one particular riff maybe add an intro and work on creating some structure. Let's say Intro > riff 1 into a verse section with a given chord progression then add a fill or so and go from there. I think you would also benefit from having some drums in there or use metronome to keep it in time and gain a feel for the melody line. Just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert on song writing so hopefully more members will chime in with a better understanding. smile.gif Good luck man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 2 2008, 08:13 PM
Instructor
I just listened to all the riffs mate, they sound great, some of them will work great for alternative/funk type of music. The best thing is to choose the ones you like hte best and layout some drums behind them to see how they sound.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 4 2008, 07:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Your approach is pretty good !!!! Now you can rest from listening to your takes few days until your head clears and than you can take another listen and choose ones you like the best..Than start building a song around them (intro than first verse)...I would suggest taking 2 or 3 riffs you like and keeping it simple.Also these sound kinda funky and in funk music you can hear a lot of hypnotic one riff songs ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 4 2008, 07:16 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 5 2008, 05:54 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been working on it a bit and refining some of the riffs.. will post an update soon.

[edit] Oh, and Bogdan, I agree that there are some really cool funk songs that ride on one riff. However, the style I play with my mates is very jam oriented so I like to have a few different ones to bring to the table.

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 5 2008, 06:03 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:48 AM