The Modular Electric Guitar
Dannyhimself
Nov 22 2011, 01:27 AM
GMC:er
First of all hello to everyone! I hope everyone is doing ok smile.gif

I'd like to share with you a few pictures of a guitar i built last year. For the second year of my Technology course i was given the option to design and build a product of my choice to which i immediately screamed "GUITAR". I was however met with some opposition from my teacher who explained to me that my Guitar would have to be in some way different to conventional guitar on the market. This is what i came up with...(you'll notice i hadn't installed the jack socket when i took these pictures tongue.gif)

The Concept behind the design is as follows:

1. The shape of the guitar could easily be changed.
2. The neck/pickup module could easily be changed from say a 21 fret neck with single coils to a 24 fret neck with EMG's while still maintaining the body shape the user desires.
3. The Neck could be changed to a 12 string if required.
4. Tunings can be quickly altered if needed in a live application. For instance changing from standard tuning to Open G for slide guitar playing.

If you have any questions regarding the guitar or any part of the building stage (i've got about 200 photo''s of this!) then please feel free to ask. Feedback is always appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to have a look. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dannyhimself: Nov 22 2011, 02:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 22 2011, 02:01 AM
Instructor
hey man! Congrats! you employed some very innovative ideas on this guitar. Good job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 22 2011, 04:43 AM
Instructor
wow, looks good! you did a great job! I wouldn't be able to do that in years! tongue.gif congratS

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 22 2011, 06:41 PM
Interesting concept!! I'd love to see some more pics of the build!! This also has the possibility of being able to be a Testbed for wood/pickup configurations for finding certain Tonal responses!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 22 2011, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Nice made-up! Can we hear some audio samples ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2011, 12:03 AM
Very cool design! Have you thought about making custom designs to sell? Small, one man guitar shops are popping up all over. One guy who makes great stuff is Hufschmid Guitars

http://www.hufschmidguitars.com/intro.cfm

QUOTE (Dannyhimself @ Nov 21 2011, 07:27 PM) *
First of all hello to everyone! I hope everyone is doing ok smile.gif

I'd like to share with you a few pictures of a guitar i built last year. For the second year of my Technology course i was given the option to design and build a product of my choice to which i immediately screamed "GUITAR". I was however met with some opposition from my teacher who explained to me that my Guitar would have to be in some way different to conventional guitar on the market. This is what i came up with...(you'll notice i hadn't installed the jack socket when i took these pictures tongue.gif)

The Concept behind the design is as follows:

1. The shape of the guitar could easily be changed.
2. The neck/pickup module could easily be changed from say a 21 fret neck with single coils to a 24 fret neck with EMG's while still maintaining the body shape the user desires.
3. The Neck could be changed to a 12 string if required.
4. Tunings can be quickly altered if needed in a live application. For instance changing from standard tuning to Open G for slide guitar playing.

If you have any questions regarding the guitar or any part of the building stage (i've got about 200 photo''s of this!) then please feel free to ask. Feedback is always appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to have a look. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 23 2011, 12:31 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 22 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Very cool design! Have you thought about making custom designs to sell? Small, one man guitar shops are popping up all over. One guy who makes great stuff is Hufschmid Guitars

http://www.hufschmidguitars.com/intro.cfm

Whoa!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Now that's the kind of work I aspire to!!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 23 2011, 12:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I must say, this is a pretty brilliant design. You could consider changing the shape of the Neck/Pickup module to something a little more flowing and round, instead of the square shape that it is now.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Dannyhimself
Nov 24 2011, 11:27 PM
Those hufschmidt guitars look absolutely amazing. If thats the kind of quality needed to enter the market then i have no chance. haha.

I considered having a different shape mudbone, i agree that the plank look isn't the best, with the tools avaliable to me i didn't think that i'd be able to ensure that i could match the pocked in the body to a curved shaped neck/pickup module.

Also, to Sinisa, i currently don't have any audio samples and don't have the guitar with me (its back at my parents house). Also, if i was to record it i'd be using amp modelling software to provide the tone, which wouldn't be a fair reflection of its sound. (it'd make it sound much better, tongue.gif ) Perhaps i could do a webcam recording of something when i get back for christmas smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dannyhimself: Nov 24 2011, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 25 2011, 01:45 PM
Instructor
Looking forward to it mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:34 PM