Tested Some Gear
Mertay
Jun 30 2016, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
Strymon bluesky; Spent good time with the unit, enough to test most presets and their tweakability. I can say its as good as its praised and valued, sounds as good as studio gear (even better than most). There are many videos on it so I'll keep it short;

If you don't find yourself using or wanting atmosferic/newage reverbs look for something else. Don't get me wrong stuff like spring, hall etc. reverbs are also great (and tweakble) but even if money is no obligation I just can't see myself using it just to add some slight mono reverb (like a spring reverb on an amp) on typical style solos. Modern stomp reverbs like tc electronic, boss etc. makes more sense for such usage.

It didn't feel stage sturdy, specially the 2 (most important) controller knobs 1 accidental kick and its over... It has midi to add a controller but I'd still be very careful carrying it with me.

Its not too hard to navigate but the manual does need to be read for useful details. The hard thing is mastering it sonically, for a gigging guitarist I'd say maybe more than a year.

Dunlop Primetone picks; This new material is awesome, slides on string but not from your fingers. Just checked the website and seems tosin abasi an petrucci also designed their picks according to the standard models.

I could only find the jazz3 size but even that sounded good with an acoustic guitar, fast with an electric. Try one when you can.

Boss md-2; Great shredder pedal that doesn't need a boost. I think one of the gain knobs is actually a built-in booster, even with a fender strat I got the fretboard sensitivity and tone I needed to shred.

Also try this, all gains and eq's turned lowest and level very high. Now with minimal tweak (depending on your amp) you get a very sweet amp-like bluesy tone. I'm going to borrow one from a friend, I suspect it might replace my trusty mt-2 smile.gif

Vox ice 9 overdrive;
Discontinued recently and needs some patience to find used as it was a hidden jem. I was actually going to trade my ts9 for it from a small guitar store but the idiot there didn't know how to make business with someone experienced...

Its joe's version of the ts9 as a booster (to boost other pedals, specially ds1). Can sound very ts9-like but has a bass knob, a voice switch and a 14db boost. Everything to be expected from a boost pedal with a good price point and sound.

Marshall Gov'nor plus (gv-2)overdrive; After testing the jackhammer I had high expectation it would be a good mid. gain marshall in a box pedal.

It definitly reminds marshall but the tone was just too raw, weak...simply cheap for me. Bummer...

Line 6 DL4; I really liked this one, well engineered super simple to use and sounds great. Its not processor-like as you can program it for stage to make crazy fx but a definite step-up from a stomp-box. A working musician would like how managable it is.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 12 2016, 10:12 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 12 2016, 06:38 PM
Its been 2 weeks since I shared and the first week we had a heatwave and barely played guitar back then.

As much as I loved the primetone pick wasn't expecting the tip to start melting so fast smile.gif so everything excellent but unfortunatly short lifespan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 12 2016, 09:00 PM
Learning Roadie
I have an original Mashall Guvnor and I've just found the replacement sockets I need to replace the broken ones.

The original Mark 1 is built like a tank

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 12 2016, 09:01 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 12 2016, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 12 2016, 08:00 PM) *
I have an original Mashall Guvnor and I've just found the replacement sockets I need to replace the broken ones.

The original Mark 1 is built like a tank

oops I edited the first message as it was the gv-2 I tested, the original is highly prasied!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 13 2016, 07:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Once I fix it I'll do a demo of it

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 13 2016, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 13 2016, 06:01 PM) *
Once I fix it I'll do a demo of it

Awesome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 15 2016, 12:51 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Do you mean your pick really melted? Maybe that's due more to your hot playing than the weather smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 15 2016, 09:52 AM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 14 2016, 11:51 PM) *
Do you mean your pick really melted? Maybe that's due more to your hot playing than the weather smile.gif.

hehehe weather yeah but me not so much burning biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:51 PM