Classical Fingerstyle Beginner Needs Help, Pleas help me find my level of instruction from GMC.
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
Need help for classical for the beginner. I have viewed all the lessons that are Level 2 to 3 and am practicing these lessons. There seem to be only a handful. What I would like is more help/suggestions for my level. Although I'm just starting classical, I have played for several years. Now I'm just wanting to go deeper. I practice arpeggios daily. Mainly the two pieces I'm working on are Greensleeves and Carulli Waltz. Also the Carcassi arpeggios. I look at some of the Level 3's and they are way beyond my ability now.

I have a Epiphone PR5E and not a classical guitar at the moment. But I am hoping to get one as soon as possible.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 7 2009, 05:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (goldnspots @ Jan 7 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Need help for classical for the beginner. I have viewed all the lessons that are Level 2 to 3 and am practicing these lessons. There seem to be only a handful. What I would like is more help/suggestions for my level. Although I'm just starting classical, I have played for several years. Now I'm just wanting to go deeper. I practice arpeggios daily. Mainly the two pieces I'm working on are Greensleeves and Carulli Waltz. Also the Carcassi arpeggios. I look at some of the Level 3's and they are way beyond my ability now.

I have a Epiphone PR5E and not a classical guitar at the moment. But I am hoping to get one as soon as possible.

That last sentence is a bit disturbing. biggrin.gif If you want to play classical stuff (for classical guitar), you should definitely get a classical guitar because it´s way not the same technique!
At your level, I would start with tirando and appoyando techniques. I am going to make a lesson on this, so you can check it out. And for lessons, this one is pretty cool: Fernando Sor. I also made a lesson on fingerpicking on classical guitar: Fingerpicking.

I hope this helps for some time. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 7 2009, 05:43 PM
Well there are several lessons for your need. For beginner in classical fingerstyle my advice would be these lessons:

Raindrops lesson, Guiliani A minor etude (which is marked level 5 but easier than that!) and Sarabande Theme from Dejan Farkas - these lessons are built up from basic open chords (mainly) and can help focus on your right hand instead.

Also: B minor study by Fernando Sor presented by Kosei Kubota is also a great lesson (it's a bit harder but worth practicing it).

Just use advanced search to easily find these lessons! Hope this helped (I mean, I've learned these pieces from scratch and they were fun for me biggrin.gif).

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Tolek and berko. Fast replies.

Tell me if this is normal. I watch the first video several times to get the song in my head. I then watch it again paying attention to the tabs. Then I pick up the guitar and slowly work on the first bars. My pace so slow just to get the right notes accomplished. Once several bars are familiar, I try to play two or three together. Then add another, then another.

The Carulli Waltz seems to be one of the easiest and I'm still working on mastering it. It's not hard. But I have not perfected it.

+Quote Post
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 08:10 PM
Okay. Don't laugh. Just had my nails done! Went to a nail salon and explained what I wanted. They did a great job. $12. Now I will spend the evening working on my arpeggios.

What do you think about this guitar?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=tab%3DWatching

This is the song I've been practicing the most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cwrk8tzFR4

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 7 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi there!

You're approach towards mastering these lessons seems to be well measured and concentrated, which is good. If you feel your constant progress, then that's perfect.

It's great that you have done you're nails because it can help you with your picking. However, I'm not sure whether it does you any better on an acoustic-electric, steel string guitar. The nylon strings have a much different feel, they don't ruin your nails and are set a bit further apart from each other. If you dive into classical finger style picking, then it is essential to try a cheap nylon classical guitar. Well worth it, because basically that was the guitar which allowed the fingerpicking style. On the electric (even on acoustic-electric like your epiphone), steel strings are closer to each other for more comfortable and faster picking - what I mean is, the two instruments are different.

So keep up practicing but try a nylon string guitar!

cheers smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Jan 7 2009, 01:16 PM) *
...try a nylon string guitar!

cheers smile.gif

I do know the difference in classical. I can't hardly wait until I can buy one. Although my guitar is a steel string, it is made for finger picking. But still not like the classical. I don't want a laminated top with mahogany sides. I want to wait until I can buy a cedar top with rosewood sides. Right now I'm about $800 short.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 7 2009, 10:11 PM
Instructor
I can recommend two of my lessons for fingerstyle study. First one is very simple fingerstyle where you play all notes at the same time.

Here is the link for that lesson HERE

Second lesson is a bit more advanced as you have to play chords + melody together with different rhythm.

The link for that lesson is HERE

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 7 2009, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (goldnspots @ Jan 7 2009, 09:56 PM) *
I do know the difference in classical. I can't hardly wait until I can buy one. Although my guitar is a steel string, it is made for finger picking. But still not like the classical. I don't want a laminated top with mahogany sides. I want to wait until I can buy a cedar top with rosewood sides. Right now I'm about $800 short.

Yup, I only saw your online searches about the nylon string one after I posted my 2 cents. It's a wise idea not to choose a laminated top one because that greatly affects the overall sound and feeling of a guitar, but it also pushes up the prices. Sorry, but I can't help you about such high-end classical guitars since I've absolutely no experience with them. dry.gif

But keep us updated with your progress smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 7 2009, 03:11 PM) *
I can recommend two of my lessons for fingerstyle study. First one is very simple fingerstyle where you play all notes at the same time.

Here is the link for that lesson HERE

Second lesson is a bit more advanced as you have to play chords + melody together with different rhythm.

The link for that lesson is HERE

Thank you Pedja!! I will definitely add these to my practice schedule. Be sure and let me know of any others.

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 11:17 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Jan 7 2009, 08:16 PM) *
It's great that you have done you're nails because it can help you with your picking. However, I'm not sure whether it does you any better on an acoustic-electric, steel string guitar. The nylon strings have a much different feel, they don't ruin your nails and are set a bit further apart from each other.

I've played on an acoustic one for several years. If you care of your nails, they won't get ruined by steel strings. You just have to keep them a proper length (just a bit over your fingertips) and care of its edges.

This post has been edited by utak3r: Jan 7 2009, 11:17 PM

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 8 2009, 09:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (goldnspots @ Jan 7 2009, 11:12 PM) *
Thank you Pedja!! I will definitely add these to my practice schedule. Be sure and let me know of any others.

No problem ! I will do more chord melody type lessons in future so there will be more coming from me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:04 PM