Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
May 7 2016, 09:14 PM
GMC:er
WELCOME TO THE SATURDAY SHRED CHALLENGE!!!!

To replace my Saturday Video Chats, I'm going to start a SATURDAY SHRED FEST CHALLENGE. The format is going to be rather open at first. For the first challenge, I'd like to to something in memory of PRINCE who we recently lost, along with a number of great musicians this year. For our first challenge, I'd like you to play a "Prince Influenced" solo over "WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS" which is what Prince played during a Rock and Roll hall of fame performance. In case you missed it, here it is.

This is NOT A COLLAB but something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this classic backing. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to shred, it just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it smile.gif so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance.

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing smile.gif I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your first SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music. smile.gif

DETAILS:
Key: A Minor/Blues (A minor and A blues/Pentatonic will work great!)
Submit: Embed (not paste the link, ask me if you need any help) your youtube vid of you playing over the solo section.
Bask: in the glory of your briliance!!!

DUE DATE: Before Next Sat!!!

BACKING TRACK:

*Four count click in and BAM your on!
Attached File  BackingTrack.mp3 ( 1.61MB ) Number of downloads: 1147

SCALES TO USE:

A Minor
Attached Image
A Blues
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 7 2016, 10:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
42 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Chris S.
May 7 2016, 10:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm game smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2016, 10:08 PM
Welcome aboard!!!! Congrats on being the first player!!!! Look forward to hearing your solo smile.gif You can post preliminary takes if you like, to get feedback from me and the community, or just post the final. It's up to you smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 7 2016, 05:05 PM) *
I'm game smile.gif

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 7 2016, 11:02 PM
Learning Roadie
WTF !!!

yes i'm in

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
bleez
May 8 2016, 08:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
oh hells yes smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 8 2016, 09:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi here

This my early morning takes, no video because i just jump from the bed and do wear nothing....
as i jump from the "padocks" i'm ain't awake.

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-8

and

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-5

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: May 8 2016, 09:56 AM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2016, 09:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok, here's my first improv to this. I really need to learn more pentatonic shapes rolleyes.gif This is a single take after listening to the backing a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYq-wZGgwc...eature=youtu.be

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2016, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the SHOW!!!! smile.gif Looking forward to seeing you rip it up smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 7 2016, 06:02 PM) *
WTF !!!

yes i'm in

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2016, 10:17 PM
Let me say SUPER CONGRATS on being the first one across the finish line for our first ever SATURDAY SHRED CHALLENGE. Well done smile.gif One to the critique!!

I like what you are doing here in the solo mixing scales and chors and such. I would like to see you move through two ore more octaves of the Pentatonic/Blues scale though. But we can make that more of a "next time" thing smile.gif I noticed you used some MINOR licks as well which is great smile.gif Bouncing back and forth between those two scales is perfect for this.

In short, well done!! You sir are the first to get the SATURDAY SHRED CHALLENGE MISSION BADGE!!!!

Attached Image

Well played!! I look forward to seeing your next weeks Challenge!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2016, 04:13 PM) *
Ok, here's my first improv to this. I really need to learn more pentatonic shapes rolleyes.gif This is a single take after listening to the backing a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYq-wZGgwc...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks Todd,
Will these badges show underneath our names?
Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 8 2016, 10:51 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 8 2016, 10:49 PM
Very interesting, Phil's take sounded ethnic to me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2016, 10:52 PM
How do you mean Mertay? I am intrigued cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 9 2016, 01:44 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's my improvisation over the backing - I'm trying to break out of a single position and utilize more fretboard tongue.gif

(Apologizes for the hum tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2016, 09:44 AM
Not bad!! I like where you are going. Some of the bends are a bit iffy but I like it overall smile.gif You are ready to shoot your vid! Web cam or even phone cam will do!! But you gotta share a vid before we can declare you a VICTOR!

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 8 2016, 04:56 AM) *
Hi here

This my early morning takes, no video because i just jump from the bed and do wear nothing....
as i jump from the "padocks" i'm ain't awake.

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-8

and

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-5

Laurent

*Just in case!!

HOW TO PUT THE GRAPHIC UNDER YOUR NAME/SIGNATURE ON GMC
You can put them under your name in your signature file. Upload the graphic to the web somwhere, anywhere, flickr, photobucket, etc. Then get the link to the picture, or just use the link to the picture from my post in this thread smile.gif here it is. Then got to EDIT SIGNATURE on your inbox for personal message here on the site and click EDIT SIGNATURE on the left hand side.

After you click EDIT SIGNATURE, click on the icon for INSERT IMAGE (next to the pointer icon for insert link) and paste this

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...-1462742204.jpg

Here is the link to get to where you can edit your signature if you are logged in.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...E=01&VID=in

That should do it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2016, 05:48 PM) *
Thanks Todd,
Will these badges show underneath our names?
Cheers buddy

Can't wait to hear you rip it up bleez!!!

QUOTE (bleez @ May 8 2016, 03:22 AM) *
oh hells yes smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 9 2016, 09:57 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 9 2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks Todd,
Done it but I will resize it when I get home this evening. Needs to be the size of a postage stamp. What does the "81" on it mean? I think it would be good to have the date on it too, or maybe the title of the challenge. WMGGW. wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2016, 09:52 AM
NICELY DONE!! I like how you shift up and down the neck in this take and your bends and vibrato work well also! Very inspired stuff here. I do notice you focus on some single string work for a bit, which is something we covered in sat chat so kudos there smile.gif The vibe of play fits the vibe of the song quite well and reminds me of the original solo by Clapton himself. Congrats! BADGED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 8 2016, 08:44 PM) *
Here's my improvisation over the backing - I'm trying to break out of a single position and utilize more fretboard tongue.gif

(Apologizes for the hum tongue.gif )

Feel free to resize smile.gif It's actually X1 meaning times one or first time. When you complete more, it will be a larger number, e.g. X10, x20, it's just the font making it seem like an 8 smile.gif I chose the angular font as it matched well with the other grahpics. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 9 2016, 04:46 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
Done it but I will resize it when I get home this evening. Needs to be the size of a postage stamp. What does the "81" on it mean? I think it would be good to have the date on it too, or maybe the title of the challenge. WMGGW. wink.gif
Here is a postage stamp size smile.gif
Attached Image
Cheers

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 9 2016, 09:55 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 9 2016, 10:35 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2016, 09:52 PM) *
How do you mean Mertay? I am intrigued cool.gif

The melody and even tempo of the solo is very Turkish smile.gif I don't listen much of my native music but try to remember a proper example to compare to smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
May 9 2016, 11:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
really cool backing to play over. No wonder so many guitarists have covered it smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 10 2016, 02:16 PM
Learning Roadie
My take with a video..... a bit hard, tired and seriousely drugged......

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 10 2016, 05:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's a quick and dirty take:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

42 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:40 AM