42 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
fzalfa
Aug 4 2016, 06:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes Ben !! i love it !

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 06:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Laurent smile.gif I still need to get the angles right with the two cameras, but it's so nice to be able to record videos directly and not having to synch up in a video editing software smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2016, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
KILLER!!! Notice again folks the variety of techniques employed and the subtle control of vibrato and the delicate yet precise control of each bend, direct to the note. Not sharp, not flat, spot on. Even throws in some sweeps and octave licks. It's just packed with cool licks that really work in the context of the song. Yet again showing how playing with a backing is a bit different than playing "against" a backing. Note choice, vibrato speed/duration, note length, etc. Each of these choices determine the emotional impact of the solo. In the final analysis that's what we are really trying to do. Get folks to feel something when they hear us play smile.gif Well done.

WELCOME TO X6!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 4 2016, 01:06 PM) *

Shot directly, audio and video at the same time, no synching up, using DSLR camera + webcam. How nifty is this not? Program is called SparkoCam smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 08:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2016, 09:08 PM) *
KILLER!!! Notice again folks the variety of techniques employed and the subtle control of vibrato and the delicate yet precise control of each bend, direct to the note. Not sharp, not flat, spot on. Even throws in some sweeps and octave licks. It's just packed with cool licks that really work in the context of the song. Yet again showing how playing with a backing is a bit different than playing "against" a backing. Note choice, vibrato speed/duration, note length, etc. Each of these choices determine the emotional impact of the solo. In the final analysis that's what we are really trying to do. Get folks to feel something when they hear us play smile.gif Well done.

WELCOME TO X6!!!

Attached Image

Hah, thanks for the second critique. You didn't have to do a second one smile.gif I was just showing off my new setup smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2016, 11:51 PM
You earned it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 4 2016, 03:30 PM) *
Hah, thanks for the second critique. You didn't have to do a second one smile.gif I was just showing off my new setup smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 5 2016, 12:42 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks Todd. smile.gif Yeah, the Hamer turned out to be a real nice player! It's a keeper. smile.gif Putting the Jason Becker bridge pickup gave it new life.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2016, 05:06 PM) *
Folks this is a CLINIC being put on by Mr Groot. Notice the sheer variety of licks, the submlime control of his vibrato, the effortless touch on the pick, nice smile.gif One of my fave bits is that two stage bend around 8-10 seconds. It's hard enough to hit one note in a bend, much less nail both perfectly. Miss it by a fraction of a centimeter and it sounds flat or sharp. But nope, nailed it. Then I noticed some first finger planted, other finger pulloff stuff that looked quite spiff and reminded me of bits I might play myself as I love that kinda thing smile.gif And anybody that said 27 fret guitars were not needed, never tried to solo in Odd keys where you run out of frets smile.gif Nice use of the upper decks. I"m very gratified to see that guitar working out so well. You really do it justice. In short...

WELCOME TO X11!!!!
[attachment=44966:GROOT11.jpg]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2016, 12:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
Your take was great, DeGroot. Some lovely lines in there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 5 2016, 09:00 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 5 2016, 11:55 AM) *
Your take was great, DeGroot. Some lovely lines in there smile.gif

Thanks Cael! Very nice takes, man.That Ibby looks and sounds great smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2016, 02:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 5 2016, 10:00 PM) *
Thanks Cael! Very nice takes, man.That Ibby looks and sounds great smile.gif

It's a shred machine! Even if I'm not a true shredder yet! I can't believe how low the bridge sits in it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2016, 09:21 PM
!!! SAT SHRED FEST X-14 !!!!

!!!!!X-14!!!!

X-14!!! This backing has a "NEO-CLASSICAL" vibe to it. This is the first neoclassical pieces we have done in the sat Shred fest. I think you guys are gonna kill it smile.gif

DETAILS:
DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  x14.mp3 ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 62

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/saturday-shred-fest-x14
KEY: B Minor
BPM: 80BPM
SCALES TO USE: B Natural Minor
Attached Image
DUE DATE: Before Midnight Next Saturday!!!
*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
----------

This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 6 2016, 10:16 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 9 2016, 03:00 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Here is my take for this week smile.gif Definitely called for something Neo-classical.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2016, 06:18 AM
NICE!! If this is the only one we get for this challenge, it would be enough. It may well be the only one we get, as the backing is quite challenging. I did expect that you might be the first to give it a go and I"m glad you did. This is a really cool take. I like the intro with the open string work and then the Jason Becker Sweep/Speed Pick/Crescendo Vibrato follow up. You really ripped the solo section to bits. The tone was quite spiff as well!! I gotta say congrats on that not only for composition but execution as well. In short, you just

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 8 2016, 10:00 PM) *
Here is my take for this week smile.gif Definitely called for something Neo-classical.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 10 2016, 06:33 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2016, 01:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 9 2016, 04:00 AM) *

Great take, DeGroot! I've struggled a bit with the backing track, as there's a lot going on, and I don't feel like it really calls for a solo. Maybe I'll add some more ambient stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2016, 09:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Is this in B minor? I'm playing a B note over this just to test it and it sounds awful, even though my guitar is tuned perfectly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 10 2016, 11:03 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 10 2016, 05:18 AM) *
NICE!! If this is the only one we get for this challenge, it would be enough. It may well be the only one we get, as the backing is quite challenging. I did expect that you might be the first to give it a go and I"m glad you did. This is a really cool take. I like the intro with the open string work and then the Jason Becker Sweep/Speed Pick/Crescendo Vibrato follow up. You really ripped the solo section to bits. The tone was quite spiff as well!! I gotta say congrats on that not only for composition but execution as well. In short, you just

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Thanks! smile.gif I always appreciate you taking the time to listen and give a thorough critique. It was tough to play over since it is a busy backing as Cael mentioned.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 10 2016, 12:27 PM) *
Great take, DeGroot! I've struggled a bit with the backing track, as there's a lot going on, and I don't feel like it really calls for a solo. Maybe I'll add some more ambient stuff.

Thanks for taking a listen! I found the root B doesn't work over the opening section if you let it ring out to long. The fifth sounds good (F#). Also F# Phygian mode sounds good through out. Also noticed the last section shifts and B harmonic minor works perfect ( I use it a bit at the end of my open B string section).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 11 2016, 04:00 AM
Well said smile.gif Despite being written in B, it's so busy that holding a B will create dissonance. Phrygian Mode will work well and at the last bar, Harmonic Minor will work as the "Turn around" is in Harmonic Minor. It's a complex bit to solo over for sure. Even through written in B Minor, there re so many excursions in to other keys that static devotion to the root is tough to pull off. However, notice the open B string lick that Degroot uses as his intro. IT's a great example of using B but popping in other notes to make it work.

Did you watch my solo example? I too used the open B and used a B Sweep, and the second octave of B Minor for a fast descending run.

Todd

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 10 2016, 06:03 PM) *
Thanks! smile.gif I always appreciate you taking the time to listen and give a thorough critique. It was tough to play over since it is a busy backing as Cael mentioned.

Thanks for taking a listen! I found the root B doesn't work over the opening section if you let it ring out to long. The fifth sounds good (F#). Also F# Phygian mode sounds good through out. Also noticed the last section shifts and B harmonic minor works perfect ( I use it a bit at the end of my open B string section).

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 11 2016, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 11 2016, 04:26 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Yes, I watched your video example a couple times! smile.gif I was struggling a bit for ideas at first. Meant to mention it... borrowed your idea of using the open B string and played around within that. Got me out of a rut and was able to put the solo together.

BTW, that Ibby PG is awesome. I hardly ever see them in that color. Does that also have the original Wizard neck?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 11 2016, 03:00 AM) *
Well said smile.gif Despite being written in B, it's so busy that holding a B will create dissonance. Phrygian Mode will work well and at the last bar, Harmonic Minor will work as the "Turn around" is in Harmonic Minor. It's a complex bit to solo over for sure. Even through written in B Minor, there re so many excursions in to other keys that static devotion to the root is tough to pull off. However, notice the open B string lick that Degroot uses as his intro. IT's a great example of using B but popping in other notes to make it work.

Did you watch my solo example? I too used the open B and used a B Sweep, and the second octave of B Minor for a fast descending run.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2016, 12:02 AM
Well thanks smile.gif Yeah, the open B seemed a good choice for the intro smile.gif

Just got that PGM30, and yeah it has the original Wizard Neck which is awesome. It's the original Paul Gilbert colors (yup, Pink and blue) as well. I've got two guitars with original wizards and I love em both. That guitar went to the wizard II the year after the one I have.

Here is the brood with the new gal smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 10 2016, 11:26 PM) *
Yes, I watched your video example a couple times! smile.gif I was struggling a bit for ideas at first. Meant to mention it... borrowed your idea of using the open B string and played around within that. Got me out of a rut and was able to put the solo together.

BTW, that Ibby PG is awesome. I hardly ever see them in that color. Does that also have the original Wizard neck?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2016, 11:03 PM
!!! SAT SHRED FEST X-15 !!!!

!!!!!X-15!!!!

X-15!!! (EXPERIMENTAL) "TRY" to see if you can use your LEFT HAND on this one. Just try to do some "left only" licks, if possible. If that doesn't work, just play regularly. But give it a shot It's a great way to work on your left hand strength!

DETAILS:
DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  x15.mp3 ( 1.09MB ) Number of downloads: 55

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/saturday-shred-fest-x15
KEY: B Minor
BPM: 175BPM
SCALES TO USE: B Natural Minor
Attached Image
DUE DATE: Before Midnight Next Saturday!!!
*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
----------

This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 13 2016, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 16 2016, 08:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my take !!!

hope you like it, becasue i really like it, something a bit crazy done in few minutes after being shooted by an idea !!

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:39 AM