42 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2016, 08:38 PM
GMC:er
Anyone else got a take to submit? Now is your last chance!!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Sep 17 2016, 11:21 PM
Ok. I did a quick vid. Haven't got the quality up yet. Anyway, here is it. I played it fairly close to the first post but there are subtle changes, some better some worse. Anyway.

The repeating motif is essentially a half step note resolution from F to E or C to B. And the accent note is F which l land on twice, once in the beginning before the first rush and then near the end after the jagged bend before the pulloffs up the neck. Just in case you can't see it. Obviously A and G is in there now and then.

The slow part is a slide up 2 back 4 or whatever the scale demands as in

(6th) 15 15 15 (5th) 15 15sl17 17sl13 13 13sl15 15sl10 10 10sl12 12sl8 8

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Sep 18 2016, 02:20 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2016, 12:37 AM
MOVING TO SUNDAY!!!!!!

Due to scheduling constraints faced by many folks trying to participate in the SATURDAY SHRED CHALLENGE. I"m going to move the new CHALLENGE DATE to SUNDAY in perpetuity. So it will be known as the

SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE!!!!!

This will give everyone all of Saturday to work on their submission vid for the challenge, and will leave SUNDAY as the day we start on a NEW CHALLENGE. Some folks have told me that they have work schedules that keep them from making a vid on Sat so this should help in that regard. I just got another VID SUBMISSION @ 6:30 pm and we can now leave the door open for submissions to be made as late as you like on Saturday all the way up through the posing of the next Challenge on SUNDAY.

Hopefully this will give folks a bit more weekend time to work on their CHALLENGE TAKE on SATURDAY and then allow SUNDAY as the day to Start a NEW CHALLENGE!!!

So if anyone else has an idea for a take on the CURRENT CHALLENGE, FEEL FREE to submit your takes as late as you like and I"ll grade them all the way up until I post the SUNDAY CHALLENGE around 5PM on Sunday. That way, folks can have time to make a take on the Existing Challenge and still have time to take a look at the SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE later that day. You can submit your SUNDAY CHALLENGE take the same day if you like, or wait til the following week and submit all the way up until Sunday around 5pm.

( I was thinking 4, but I just got a take in so I'm thinking we can push to 5pm to allow folks to get their take in and then I'll post near supper time so folks can eat and come back and start a new CHALLENGE!)

Hopefully this allows more folks the time to take advantage of the CHALLENGE SERIES!! I look forward to seeing your takes!!!! WELCOME TO THE NEW

SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE!!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 18 2016, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2016, 05:11 AM
NICE!!! You did a great job on the vid and the playing Gene. Thanks much for putting yourself out there and contributing a vid to the legacy that is the SATURDAY SHRED CHALLENGE!! As a matter of fact, you are THE LAST of the SAT SHREDDERS as we are MOVING TO SUNDAY!!! So that we can give folks more time to get takes in without feeling pressured by the clock.

**The final turn in will be SUNDAY before 4pm. The new challenge will come out Sunday about 4pm.

On to the debrief!!!

Really cool solo!!! I dig how you went "all fingers" for this one and use a finger picking style for the entire solo. You also show a really good command of dynamics as you back off a bit during the break down section in middle and transition easily from higher to lower levels of gain and adjust your playing accordingly. You combine blues and rock type licks to great effect during this solo and each note/lick feels like it belongs where each is placed. In short, a really musical, dynamic, original solo. Congrats!!!

You just ......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Sep 17 2016, 06:21 PM) *
Ok. I did a quick vid. Haven't got the quality up yet. Anyway, here is it. I played it fairly close to the first post but there are subtle changes, some better some worse. Anyway.

The repeating motif is essentially a half step note resolution from F to E or C to B. And the accent note is F which l land on twice, once in the beginning before the first rush and then near the end after the jagged bend before the pulloffs up the neck. Just in case you can't see it. Obviously A and G is in there now and then.

The slow part is a slide up 2 back 4 or whatever the scale demands as in

(6th) 15 15 15 (5th) 15 15sl17 17sl13 13 13sl15 15sl10 10 10sl12 12sl8 8

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Sep 18 2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks Todd. I appreciate the feedback. Although I must admit, going fingers was more being lazy. I haven't been playing much as I've been busy so I revert to whats more comfortable yet and I didn't start trying to use a pick until well after finger style.

Now that we're moving to a Sunday Shred, I'll have to change my green screen layover to 'Todd's Sunday Shred Challenge" wink.gif

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Sep 18 2016, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 18 2016, 02:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
wasn't able to get as much time on this as I'd liked but the new sunday shred gave me just enough time to sneak in a take biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFqY1HR7p0

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2016, 08:41 PM
Very Spiff take! I dig your use of dynamics here quite a bit. You adjust the gain/volume down a bit during the breakdown and then ramp it back up when the song kicks back in. Very cool. You are playing to the backing instead of just playing over it. This is what I'm wanting to see smile.gif Also, like Gene, very cool use of finger picking on this one. I like how you blend the finger picking with the pick picking smile.gif It provides a very nice contrast. Your solo works as a musical construction and as a response to the backing. In short, you nailed it!!

no to mention....

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 18 2016, 09:56 AM) *
wasn't able to get as much time on this as I'd liked but the new sunday shred gave me just enough time to sneak in a take biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFqY1HR7p0

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 18 2016, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2016, 09:54 PM
!!! SAT SHRED FEST X-20!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/saturdayshredx20

X-20! This one is in A# (Sharp) Minor (8th Fret Minor Scale)
DETAILS:
DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  RagingThunder.mp3 ( 3.63MB ) Number of downloads: 50

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/x20-backingtrack-raging-thunder-by-alexa-feat-todd
KEY: A# (Sharp) Minor
SCALES TO USE:
A# Minor, A# Pentatonic
A# Minor,
Attached Image
A# Pentatonic
Attached Image
BPM:
90 bpm
DUE DATE: Before 5PM Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok)
*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
ELEVEN RACK PATCH:Attached File  X20.tfx.zip ( 1.21K ) Number of downloads: 313

Attached Image
----------

This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 24 2016, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 19 2016, 04:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2016, 08:41 PM) *
Very Spiff take! I dig your use of dynamics here quite a bit. You adjust the gain/volume down a bit during the breakdown and then ramp it back up when the song kicks back in. Very cool. You are playing to the backing instead of just playing over it. This is what I'm wanting to see smile.gif Also, like Gene, very cool use of finger picking on this one. I like how you blend the finger picking with the pick picking smile.gif It provides a very nice contrast. Your solo works as a musical construction and as a response to the backing. In short, you nailed it!!

thanks Todd smile.gif

So.... A sharp minor for this weeks challenge, huh? Thats a rather exotic key for a man of my limited box shapes tongue.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 19 2016, 04:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 19 2016, 09:15 PM
The good news is that box shapes will work fine smile.gif Just start on the 8th fret instead of starting on the 7th. Essentially transpose everything up one fret from A/7th fret. Pentaonic (box) shapes should work fine wink.gif You don't have to use the minor scale. You can use anything that you think sounds good smile.gif The backing is just written in a minor key so minor bits will match smile.gif I'll add the A# Pentatonic scale for the whole neck as well. Can't wait to hear your take!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 19 2016, 11:42 AM) *
thanks Todd smile.gif

So.... A sharp minor for this weeks challenge, huh? Thats a rather exotic key for a man of my limited box shapes tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2016, 08:05 PM
*Shred Challenge Moved to Sunday, so you have an extra day to get your take in!!

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-20!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx20

X-20! This one is in A# (Sharp) Minor (8th Fret Minor Scale)
DETAILS:
DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  RagingThunder.mp3 ( 3.63MB ) Number of downloads: 50

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/x20-backingtrack-raging-thunder-by-alexa-feat-todd
KEY: A# (Sharp) Minor
SCALES TO USE:
A# Minor, A# Pentatonic
A# Minor,
Attached Image
A# Pentatonic
Attached Image
BPM:
90 bpm
DUE DATE: Before 5PM Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok)

ELEVEN RACK PATCH:Attached File  X20.tfx.zip ( 1.21K ) Number of downloads: 37

Attached Image
----------

This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 24 2016, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 24 2016, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi todd

Sorry to cannot post any take, im away from my home.

[attachment=45207:IMG_2016...4_193108.jpg]

At a political meeting

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 25 2016, 10:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Any reason you chose to call it A# instead of Bb Todd. The correct note naming of the A# scale is icky. A#, B# C##, D#,E#, F##,G##.

I missed this one, but I'll still use it in my practice (and be back to bootcamp too) Maybe I'll join in this weeks Shredfest if I can come up with anything

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 25 2016, 06:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9s9lrNnI48

I think I needed a bit longer on this one, I was winging it a bit and Im not very good at improv, also sorry about the camera angle, I think I moved a bit and didnt notice how little of the guitar was in shot...... on the plus side I managed to break out the old whammy pedal again and hit lots of pinched harmonics cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2016, 06:55 PM
WELL PLAYED!!!!!

I must congratulate you for being the ONLY one to brave the odd key signature and symphonic metal backing laiden with mostly vocals and come up with a killer take!

The whammy pedal is a perfect addition IMHO. At first I was like "how the heck is he getting dive bombs on an SG!!!' Then I read your bit about the pedal smile.gif Very clever use of a pedal and it fits in perfectly.. You don't really need a trem bar if you have that pedal it seems. it does a great job of doing really good dives!

Your technique throughout is very solid and your Pinch Harmonic Dive is spot on smile.gif It's one of my fave licks of all time and very Retro, which is part of why I like it smile.gif

Well put together and very well done as an improv! Your improvisation skills are really improving. Very glad to see you leading the charge on this one smile.gif To wit, I've created a personalized badge for your efforts. It bears the Norway flag that I've seen in your studio.

In short you just LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 25 2016, 01:14 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9s9lrNnI48

I think I needed a bit longer on this one, I was winging it a bit and Im not very good at improv, also sorry about the camera angle, I think I moved a bit and didnt notice how little of the guitar was in shot...... on the plus side I managed to break out the old whammy pedal again and hit lots of pinched harmonics cool.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 25 2016, 07:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2016, 06:55 PM) *
I've created a personalized badge for your efforts. It bears the Norway flag that I've seen in your studio.

best.
badge.
ever.
biggrin.gif
Love it. A Norwegian flag in it's black metal orientation. Tusen Takk! smile.gif

I really liked the backing. Initially I was trying to get a tremolo picking melody going but I kept messing it up rolleyes.gif The whammy pedal is cool. I got it mainly for the detune ( its the digitech whammy DT ) but I rarely use that function.... Im all about the divebombs apparently cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2016, 07:47 PM
Shred Challenge Moved to Sunday, so you have an extra day to get your take in!!

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-21!!!!

*New in this weeks video, I"m not playing. Instead, I'll put the two scale tablatures we are using and you can practice using the video smile.gif

Direct Link to this Challenge : http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx21

X-21 SLOW BLUES in A!

DETAILS: This is a BLUES backing in the key of A. It's a great chance to show off what you have learned about pentatonic scales/blues scales/rock licks/etc! Also a great chance to have a new video to share with the world (if you like) on your youtube/facebook/etc. smile.gif

DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  _X21Blues.mp3 ( 986.86K ) Number of downloads: 44

EXTENDED version (Jam Track) Attached File  JackTrack21.mp3 ( 8.25MB ) Number of downloads: 64

KEY: A Minor

SCALES TO USE: A Pentatonic/Blues, A Minor (If you like)

A Blues
Attached Image

A Minor (Also known as "Aeolian")
Attached Image

BPM: 80 bpm

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible smile.gif To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible smile.gif

----------

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

2.)Who can participate?:
ANYONE!! smile.gif

3.)What do I get?
Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level you attain smile.gif Here is a recent badge for reference.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 1 2016, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 25 2016, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
10 times in !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2016, 09:04 PM
Looking forward to your take!!!! smile.gif
------
Shred Challenge Moved to Sunday, so you have an extra day to get your take in!!

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-21!!!!

*New in this weeks video, I"m not playing. Instead, I'll put the two scale tablatures we are using and you can practice using the video

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx21

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 26 2016, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This one take about searching a good riff.....

final take for the next days

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:47 AM