5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist?
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist??
Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are no doubt 2 of the best Thrash guitarist of all time.Which one do you think has made better guitar riifs or songs over the past 20 years.
Dave Mustaine [ 49 ] ** [59.76%]
James Hetfield [ 33 ] ** [40.24%]
Which is the better Vocalist?
James Hetfield [ 60 ] ** [73.17%]
Dave Mustaine [ 22 ] ** [26.83%]
Total Votes: 82
Guests cannot vote 
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 05:30 AM
GMC:er
OK
I want to see what you all think.This is very tough for me because there both great and i love them both,but which ONE has made better RIFF'S on guitar over there 20 year carrer.Make sure NOT to vote for your favorite band ,vote just by the topic of which has made the best guitar parts ,songs or however you want to phrase it.

Also just for fun i put which one do you feel is a better vocalist.This one to me is very easy to answer unlike the question above but ill wait to vote once we got some votes in. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Nov 22 2007, 05:55 AM
james no doubt has com up with better riffs that are more creative over the year. Mustaine although a great great guitarist seems to come up with the same stuff. As far as a vocolist James has it hands down much more range than dave. thats my take any way

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:04 AM
It should have been Kirk Hammett vs. Dave Mustaine for the guitarist part of the pole and the vocalist part is fine as it is.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 22 2007, 06:11 AM
As a guitarist I think that Dave Mustain is better. Even if he does create similar sounding riffs, he's still a better guitarist, but I think that James Hetfield is definitely a better vocalist.

QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 21 2007, 11:04 PM) *
It should have been Kirk Hammett vs. Dave Mustaine for the guitarist part of the pole and the vocalist part is fine as it is.

Yeah, it should have been. Dave still wins, though.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 06:20 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 22 2007, 12:04 AM) *

Why?That just kinda through me off because there both the Rythem guitar player and lead singer in each of there bands.Sure Dave used to solo in Metallica and still does some in Megadeth,but if i would have put Kirk in why not Marty Friedman,orChris Poland or all the other lead guitarist Megadeth has went through tongue.gif .It was just meant for these 2 because there the frontmen for there bands

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:20 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 22 2007, 12:11 AM) *
As a guitarist I think that Dave Mustain is better. Even if he does create similar sounding riffs, he's still a better guitarist, but I think that James Hetfield is definitely a better vocalist.
Yeah, it should have been. Dave still wins, though.

I think Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than Dave, but either way they are both better than James. The thing is though, James only really plays rhythm guitar, whereas Dave and Kirk play lead and rhythm, so nobody really knows how good James is because he doesnt really show his soloing abilities. I heard that James does write a lot of Metallicas songs though, solos and all so I really don't know. Either way I like all 3 of them.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 22 2007, 06:25 AM
I just think Dave is better because they both play pretty much the same top speed and Kirk has some problems with cleanness, and some people say that he has a weak vibrato. But they are both very close to each other skillwise. So it could go either way smile.gif

Oh, and I think that the only solo that James Hetfield wrote was the one for Nothing Else Matters. I could be wrong though.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 22 2007, 06:27 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 22 2007, 06:27 AM
Guitarist: Dave
Vocals: James

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 06:33 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 22 2007, 12:20 AM) *
I think Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than Dave, but either way they are both better than James. The thing is though, James only really plays rhythm guitar, whereas Dave and Kirk play lead and rhythm, so nobody really knows how good James is because he doesnt really show his soloing abilities. I heard that James does write a lot of Metallicas songs though, solos and all so I really don't know. Either way I like all 3 of them.

Same here as far as liking all 3 of them,also we really dont know how good James is.To be honest though i cant say if Kirk is better than Dave i just dont know.Kirk was like my favorite guitarist for so many years when i started playing but as i have gotten older learned more about music he is nowhere near as great as i once thought.Dave holds back alot on lead he doesnt really like to solo much so thats what stump's me on that one.

I just did this pol because they are 2 of my favorite Rythem guitarist and have made the music that made me decide to play guitar.They are Metallica and Megadeth without either one of them there band could not be the same.So thats why i didnt put Kirk in because these 2 are everything to the band.I like your opinions though and keep em coming wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 22 2007, 06:40 AM
Mustaine. Metallica only made one pure thrash album and thats Kill Em' All and Mustaine wrote most of the riffs on that one.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:44 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Nov 22 2007, 12:33 AM) *
Same here as far as liking all 3 of them,also we really dont know how good James is.To be honest though i cant say if Kirk is better than Dave i just dont know.Kirk was like my favorite guitarist for so many years when i started playing but as i have gotten older learned more about music he is nowhere near as great as i once thought.Dave holds back alot on lead he doesnt really like to solo much so thats what stump's me on that one.

I just did this pol because they are 2 of my favorite Rythem guitarist and have made the music that made me decide to play guitar.They are Metallica and Megadeth without either one of them there band could not be the same.So thats why i didnt put Kirk in because these 2 are everything to the band.I like your opinions though and keep em coming wink.gif

Ok, here is my opinion. John Petrucci owns all of them! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 06:45 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 22 2007, 12:40 AM) *
Mustaine. Metallica only made one pure thrash album and thats Kill Em' All and Mustaine wrote most of the riffs on that one.

I've seen you post that in a few different threads.I respect your opinion but just dont agree.Dave even did some work on Ride the Lightining (which i consider thrash) and even the 2 albums after that metallica did i consider thrash,based on the guitar's.Maybe your right i dont know ,but thats how i look at thrash,what about you?What would you label Metallica's other albums up to the black album? wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:50 AM
Master Of Puppets was thrash.

Petrucci still owns all of them. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 06:50 AM
Also wanted to add that the pole is about which guitarist you think has made the best riffs or songs.I can tell i through some people off including myself tongue.gif by the title of the thread.

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:52 AM
Who voted Dave Mustaine as a better vocalist?

This post has been edited by Unleash-The-Shred: Nov 22 2007, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 07:20 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 22 2007, 12:52 AM) *
Who voted Dave Mustaine as a better vocalist?

I was thinking the same thing

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 22 2007, 07:48 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Nov 22 2007, 10:45 AM) *
I've seen you post that in a few different threads.I respect your opinion but just dont agree.Dave even did some work on Ride the Lightining (which i consider thrash) and even the 2 albums after that metallica did i consider thrash,based on the guitar's.Maybe your right i dont know ,but thats how i look at thrash,what about you?What would you label Metallica's other albums up to the black album? wink.gif

Well, I said "Pure Thrash album" to Kill Em' All. Sure you can still sense thrash in Ride The Lightning to about ... And Justice For all (maybe) but its not pure to say the least. Maybe its a good thing to you I don't know, but it has a more heavy metal feel more than punk (to me) but to each his own. I look at thrash very differently, certain styles kick to me while other's don't. Early Anthrax(with Belladona), Municipal Waste, D.R.I, and Violator are some of my favorite thrash bands because of how they play it. A lot of intensity from hardcore punk, the yells, and attack of riffs are the once that made me love thrash to begin with. This is probably a more biased opinion so I apologies for that.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 22 2007, 07:50 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 22 2007, 01:48 AM) *
Well, I said "Pure Thrash album" to Kill Em' All. Sure you can still sense thrash in Ride The Lightning to about ... And Justice For all (maybe) but its not pure to say the least. Maybe its a good thing to you I don't know, but it has a more heavy metal feel more than punk to me but to each his own. I look at thrash very differently, certain styles kick to me while other's don't. Early Anthrax(with Belladona), Municipal Waste, D.R.I, and Violator are some of my favorite thrash bands because of how they play it. A lot of intensity from hardcore punk, the yells, and attack of riffs are the once that made me love thrash to begin with. This is probably a more biased opinion so I apologies for that.

I get what your saying.I've listened to Anthrax and didnt really care for them but the other's i dont think i;ve ever listened to .That will give me something to do smile.gif .I'll have to go check those out and see what i think.

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 22 2007, 08:10 AM
I love Anthrax. Gets me pumped and just want to get into the pit.

One of my fav live moments from them
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZDRASpipW-Y

4:50 is when Caught In A Mosh starts. One of the best thrash songs written IMO.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Nov 22 2007, 08:17 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 22 2007, 02:27 PM) *
Guitarist: Dave
Vocals: James

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:01 AM