5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Kristofer Dahl - A Loner, My new tune!
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 08:56 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 20 2009, 01:07 AM) *
The way I hear it, guitars are "eating up" the mid-himid range a bit. For example, cymbals are a bit choked now, but it is all the question of what needs to be achieved in the end. If the guitars have to go in front, then I think this is the right direction to follow.

Thanks to this (and Fran's comment earlier) I just realised I have made a completely unnecessary mistake in the mix. There are six rhythm guitar tracks and 3 of them where panned in the middle - thereby seriously competing with the vocals..! I will fix this later today. Huge thanks again to everyone who gives their opinions here!! wub.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 20 2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor
You never cease to impress me Kris.
This is such a great tune, as said in earlier posts, this has a System of the Down feel to it.
I love the fact that your songs are all unique, yet you can tell who wrote them.
When is the album coming out?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Siggum
Apr 20 2009, 01:08 PM
GMC:er
Great song Kris, everything has been said about the mix already, so i will just complement you for a very catchy, powerfull and dynamic tune smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Frederik
Apr 20 2009, 01:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nice track, I love reading this "pro" mixing discussion. its very eye-opening, and i learned quite a bit from this actually

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 01:59 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Apr 20 2009, 01:43 PM) *
You never cease to impress me Kris.
This is such a great tune, as said in earlier posts, this has a System of the Down feel to it.
I love the fact that your songs are all unique, yet you can tell who wrote them.
When is the album coming out?

hehe thanks for the awesome comment David! biggrin.gif Well I do see the most recent songs I have written as "learning songs" - since I don't have full control of all the bits of the production - from start to end. Also I need to work a little more on my singing skills.

When I have more understanding and control I might put together a compilation of songs. By then I will of course need to have more control of the time factor as well...! No news for you - but working with songs is obviously extremely time consuming (but FUN).

QUOTE (Siggum @ Apr 20 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Great song Kris, everything has been said about the mix already, so i will just complement you for a very catchy, powerfull and dynamic tune smile.gif

Thanks Siggum - I am glad you use those words as they were my aim!

QUOTE (Frederik @ Apr 20 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Nice track, I love reading this "pro" mixing discussion. its very eye-opening, and i learned quite a bit from this actually

-Frederik

Agreed - and this is part of the idea. We are all here to learn - and there is always room for improvement. Personally I got quite some insights yesterday evening thanks to the suggestions in this thread!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 20 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Thanks to this (and Fran's comment earlier) I just realised I have made a completely unnecessary mistake in the mix. There are six rhythm guitar tracks and 3 of them where panned in the middle - thereby seriously competing with the vocals..! I will fix this later today. Huge thanks again to everyone who gives their opinions here!! wub.gif

No problem Kris, thank you for putting this track so we can comment it! smile.gif Sometimes it can be difficult for us (at least for me! smile.gif ) to accept the weak points of our work, specially if we invest a lot of time and dedication in making it! This I think shows how much flexible and mature person is based on the critics.

I have couple of more tips that I actually pulled out from a very useful book that I red some years ago. I hope it will be useful for many people, and it is related to the topic of this mix in some way.

Delay:
Digital delay is an excellent tool to widen the image of a single instrument. With original instrument sound panned to one side of the stereo spectrum and a short delay - below about 35ms - panned to the opposite side of the spectrum, the originally mono image spread across the panorama, leaving more room to hear the rest of the instruments. This technique widens the stereo image, but almost more importantly, it makes room to hear the rest of the instruments and their image in the stereo soundfield. Delay times between 35-50ms often sound very big and impressive in stereo.
In understadning the stereo image, it's helpful to realize that when these short delays are panned apart, our ears will prefer the original over the delay. A phenomenon knows as the Haas effect indicates that the delay is suppressed by as much as 8-12dB. In other words our hearing system is doing it['s best to ensure that localization is cued from the initial direct sound wave. If we want to split an instrument in the mix, and we want that instrument to sound like it's coming equally from both left and right, we have to turn the delayed signal up higher in actual level than the original. The amount depends on the amount of transient and the overall sound quality of the instrument.

EQ- cumulative effect:
If we boost kick drum, bass guitar and rhythm guitar by 4dB@100Hz, they might each sound great alone, but the cumulative effect of boosting the same frequency on all these instruments wouldn't be good. The result is an artificially hot mix - a mix that doesn't sound as strong or loud as it should.
The ideal procedure when combining EQ is to compensate for a boost in one instrument by cutting the same frequency in another instrument. Example - if bass gutiar needs 100Hz boost, then cutting kick @100Hz could be in order. If the kick needs more lows, boosting 60Hz, and cutting 60Hz on the bass guitar may seem more appropriate. If the guitars are added to these instruments, chances are there's no need to include the lows on the guitar at all. So cutting bellow ~150Hz on the guitars will be a good starting point.
When we compensate for boosts in EQ by cutting at the corresponding frequency on a different instrument, we end up with mixes that sound louder at the same master mix level. We also create ixes that sound better on more systems.
The arrangement:
There are a lot of situations when it's valid to record a few tracks that you might or might not use in the mix. Often those tracks will be turned up for just a portion of the song, at just the right time. In that context, it can be very valuable to record extra parts.
Yuo might be making some radical changes in your mixes. Once you've critically evaluated the options, you could end up turning off everything but the acoustic guitar and lead vocals for just the intro or the first quarter of the song; you might leave some tracks completely out of the song or just include them on the choruses. The options are vast.
Multiple mixes:
Don't be afraid to try something really "out there" with your songs. Render and mix as many different versions as you can come up with. Sometimes you'll listen to all of your final mix vesions and fall in love with the one that seemed like your least favorite in the studio. You might even end up editing parts of different versions together.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 20 2009, 02:04 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 20 2009, 03:52 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
apologys for not commenting sooner, third listen through ... love it!

Vocals are incredible, I`m envious of the awesome power with control that you have on them!

guitar sounds, riffs, solo, all first class!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 20 2009, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
This thread is my holy grail. I've been looking for mixing information everywhere!

Awesome song as always, Kris! I can hear that you've progressed a lot since I first heard you as well ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 20 2009, 04:41 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 20 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Ok I made another one which to me is a compromise between the more scooped-out low-end sound, and my original master sound:
[attachment=15105:a_loner_master14.mp3]

I must say I still like the mid-range-rich mix - I think it somehow gives a modern rock sound.

Sounded way better now Kris smile.gif
A great Mix/Master smile.gif

I agree a little with Ivan as well, but it all depends on wat You want it to sound like..
This is either way a step in the right direction smile.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Apr 20 2009, 04:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Awesome tune Kris! Did you use your Parker to get that tone?

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 05:44 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 20 2009, 05:41 PM) *
Sounded way better now Kris smile.gif
A great Mix/Master smile.gif

I agree a little with Ivan as well, but it all depends on wat You want it to sound like..
This is either way a step in the right direction smile.gif

Cool that you like it Paal - I'll create yet a new mix when I have fixed the panning problem (many rhythm guitars are accidentally centered and thereby covering the vocal tracks). I am very tempted to keep going for the midrange sound.

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Apr 20 2009, 05:43 PM) *
Awesome tune Kris! Did you use your Parker to get that tone?

Thanks Ben!

No actually the only guitar I use for recording now is the strat - sound is completely superior.

I am planning on replacing the stock pickups of my ibanez RG with active EMGs - then I will hopefully I'll be able to find a good alternative sound in that guitar as well.

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 20 2009, 04:52 PM) *
apologys for not commenting sooner, third listen through ... love it!

Vocals are incredible, I`m envious of the awesome power with control that you have on them!

guitar sounds, riffs, solo, all first class!

Thanks Chris! biggrin.gif I must say you have a really cool voice as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 20 2009, 05:55 PM
Awesome stuff guys!!! I am completely in awe of the subtleties of your different Mixes!!!! It would be interesting (not just to me) to learn what Software/Plug-ins you all use and how you go about using them!! I'm a complete Noob to Digital Recording/Mixing and have no idea how to Set these things up or how to use them!!! Perhaps someone would consider a very basic 'Step-by-step guide to Home Recording'???
As I say, I can't be the only person who would find this advantageous!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
stringwizzard
Apr 20 2009, 06:02 PM
very metal

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 06:21 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 20 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Awesome stuff guys!!! I am completely in awe of the subtleties of your different Mixes!!!! It would be interesting (not just to me) to learn what Software/Plug-ins you all use and how you go about using them!! I'm a complete Noob to Digital Recording/Mixing and have no idea how to Set these things up or how to use them!!! Perhaps someone would consider a very basic 'Step-by-step guide to Home Recording'???

Tony has made some good recording topics here.

For what we are discussing now (the mastering) the most important tools are a multiband compressor and a limiter (limiters used for mastering are often call "maximizers" ). Other things you can use on the whole mix are parametric equalizers, enhancers and stereo widening tools.

But yes we (especially me!) need more easy-to-follow recording tutorials! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 20 2009, 06:22 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 20 2009, 12:55 PM) *

Hey Sensible, check out this SI lesson by Jordan. Will get you started for sure.. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;hl=Recording

Sorry guys, carry on admiring Kris' awesome work.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 06:24 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (stringwizzard @ Apr 20 2009, 07:02 PM) *
very metal

Hey stringwizzard great to get your comment - and yes you are right, it's hard for me to hide for me to hide my metal roots! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Apr 20 2009, 06:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 20 2009, 12:44 PM) *
I am planning on replacing the stock pickups of my ibanez RG with active EMGs - then I will hopefully I'll be able to find a good alternative sound in that guitar as well.

Nice! I put EMG 81/85's in my RG4EX and it sounds KILLER!!! VERY metal!! \m/

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Apr 20 2009, 06:58 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 07:15 PM
GMC Founder
Ok I am thinking about using this new mix as the final master - it has a little more bottom and a little more stereo spread. Also I think I have fixed problem with slight clipping during the solo + the problem with guitars being panned on top of the vocals...

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Apr 20 2009, 07:58 PM) *
Nice! I put EMG 81/85's in my RG4EX and it sounds KILLER!!! VERY metal!! \m/

Awesome - I'm looking forward to testing it myself!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 20 2009, 07:17 PM
Instructor
Kris - you've outdone yourself! I love this song biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2009, 07:22 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Apr 20 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Kris - you've outdone yourself! I love this song biggrin.gif

Wow thanks Marcus! laugh.gif Means very much to hear this coming from you - needless to say I am constantly inspired by our KMC Metal work, when writing this kind of stuff!

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:07 AM