Theory Advice
Enucleation
Aug 13 2010, 07:11 AM
GMC:er
So I'm looking for a bit of advice. When I write music I tend to start every new riff/section on the tonic. Like if I'm playing in A minor I always start everything on A. I try to change it up by starting on the 5th or another degree but it never seems to flow just right, on the other hand starting everything on the tonic just gets boring and predictable.

I don't know how one would give advice on being more unpredictable or whatever, but if you can advise me I'd definitely appreciate it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 13 2010, 08:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
Starting a song of the relative key is always an alternative - eg. If the key is A major, You will start on F# minor instead.
If its a minor key, start a minor third up - in A minor, start at C.

Also a lot of songs starts on the sub-dominant, in A minor this will be D-minor and then falls back to the tonic via other chords in the end of a 4 - bar period or 8 - bar period.

Also, You can start on the tonic with the third in the bass, in a major key it will be like A/C# in the bass......

Just some ideas............

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Aug 13 2010, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
Also, you could always try starting on a different beat of the bar, or use a different time signature...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:39 AM