Living The Image!
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 20 2010, 11:15 AM
GMC Founder
Bands tend to develop images and fit stereotypes often associated with their specific style of music. Check out Zsolts new solo lesson, "Metallica's "One" and then think about the following questions.

When Metallica cut off all their hair, did it change how you felt about the band? Did it seem as though their style had changed as well? You can't say that image means nothing because if James came out in a skirt and heels people probably wouldn't listen as closely...or perhaps they would listen ever closer?! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 20 2010, 11:47 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I think it's funny how people judge a band by the way they look...it's not he hair that creates the sound! Another example would be a new style of clothing, just check the way Green Day dressed when their album American Idiot was released. Did it make them less punk and more rocker like? It sure did, but heir music was (and still is) great.
So no, the cut-off hair didn't change how I felt about Metallica wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 20 2010, 12:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
There's sure something about the looks and their image that affects the perception we get of them. I mean I can't imagine a pop band dressing as metal heads or the other way around. So yes, image definitely changes the way we perceive a band.

But in the end it's only music that matters. I guess wehn Metallica changed their look was around the time they released Load, so I guess their music also changed, and not just their looks. I liked that album, by the way.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 20 2010, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Personally I don't think cutting hair and dressing differently necessarily affects the music.. but it does usually signify a change in approach and attitude of the artist, so sometimes it can be a worrying thing ! sad.gif

I was a bit too young to be aware of who Metallica were in the early 90's and how they changed at that time so I wasn't affected, but I can understand how people were ! ohmy.gif

So I guess it's not the hair or clothes that affect the music, it's their change in attitude.. the image is usually the afterthought or the result of their attitude change.

QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 20 2010, 11:13 AM) *
But in the end it's only music that matters. I guess wehn Metallica changed their look was around the time they released Load, so I guess their music also changed, and not just their looks. I liked that album, by the way.

Yes I agree with you Fran.. Load is a good album.. it may not be as out and out metal as their earlier work but who can argue with 'Ain't My Bitch' or '2X4' which could easily have been a Pantera song...?!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2010, 12:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 20 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Personally I don't think cutting hair and dressing differently necessarily affects the music.. but it does usually signify a change in approach and attitude of the artist, so sometimes it can be a worrying thing ! sad.gif

I was a bit too young to be aware of who Metallica were in the early 90's and how they changed at that time so I wasn't affected, but I can understand how people were ! ohmy.gif

So I guess it's not the hair or clothes that affect the music, it's their change in attitude.. the image is usually the afterthought or the result of their attitude change.

Yes I agree with you Fran.. Load is a good album.. it may not be as out and out metal as their earlier work but who can argue with 'Ain't My Bitch' or '2X4' which could easily have been a Pantera song...?!

Load and Reload are my favourite Metallica albums smile.gif I think they sound good and up to date even today

The looks? smile.gif)

take a peak at Devin Townsend - he looks like a music geek - but that NEVER EVER had anything to do with his sheer power and musical genius!
It doesn't matter how you look like if you are able to allow charisma express itself in a different way - through your music would be the preferred one.

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2010, 03:09 AM
Instructor
Having long hair doesn't make you metal, it's what you are. If you are true metalhead, you can look whatever you want. But, since it's about showmanship on stage, you have to look cool one way or the other. If you go out in a regular clothes, well, you better show that you have originality in some other way! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:54 AM