3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
How Does Your Practicing Setup Look Like?
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 18 2012, 01:41 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Nowadays - I find myself practicing by going directly to the sound card interface and through the monitor speakers. I usually don't even take time to dial some great tone rather just go as direct as possible. I find this tone to be really cool sounding but when I recently played on my bass amp for a change - I was so surprised! THE TONE - what a huge difference. Especially in dynamics and all the percussive dead notes/scratches.

I really like that contrast when I go to a studio band practice and hear how my playing "really sounds"!
Always puts a smile on my face.

I still prefer to practice on through the interface just as its so handy - the less stuff I need to do in order to get setup for practice, the better for me! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 18 2012, 02:18 AM
GMC:er
I just use my amp and have the backing track or what it might be run out through my computer speakers. Before I used my line 6 ux2 and guitar rig 5, but apparently I can't even get any sound out of it now, not sure what happened, suddenly one day there just wasn't any sound at all. But I actually prefer to use my amp! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
steve-rec-freak
Dec 18 2012, 03:48 AM
I have two setups - it depends on where I am at The Time...

At home I use :

My Guitar plugged into a tascam us, which is conected to a MacBook Pro. All Sounds are created within Logic Pro,
Which is my Playback mashine at the same time.

In the rehearsal room I use my amp setup. The cabinet is miked by a sm57 routed into a rme fireface800 , which is
Conected to a pc System. As Daw I use in this case samplitude pro x suite. Because The amp is cranked up on Volume, I use closed headphones for recording.

I like using both systems, with a little advantage for the real amp. It is much more direct, And so I need to play more accurate, than I would have to with a digital amp. Hmmmm.... Or wait.... This might be a disadvantage as well tongue.gif laugh.gif
Ok honestly, I just love The way a real amp feels to me...

Cheers,

S.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 18 2012, 09:42 AM
Learning Roadie
Axe Fx through computer speakers

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 18 2012, 10:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK here are my ways .

1. Guitar on zoom G3 to iMac-Garageband from there via usb to Teufel concept = externe amp with soundcard to Teufel speakers .

Simulations i use only from Zoom G3

Headphone i could use over Teufel concept

2. Guitar on Zoom G3 to Amp Fender hot rod tube or my little amp Vox Ad5 - depending on daytime tongue.gif -

Simulations i use for Fender HDR only foot pedals from Zoom G3

for Vox Ad5 i use all possibilities from Zoom G3 mainly Mesa simulation

3. Guitar just on Zoom G3 direct to Headphone ( summer in the garden ) Simulations from Zoom of course works fine with
Electric and Electro acustic Guitars .

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 18 2012, 11:21 PM
I have a few setups in my bedroom/studio/practice room. I've got the AxeFX II for going direct, which is how I usually practice, and it works great. I do however also have an amp and cab setup if I want to try something more "real", and sometimes it's less/more of a crutch to use modeling or a real amp. Having the AxeFX II allows me to plug it into my computer/DAW and then I can easily play along to backing tracks, drum loops or a metronome, or record ideas I come up with while playing without having to run around hooking things up or putting a poor-quality recording of it on my iPhone.

I also have a Vox AC4TV combo that I love to death. I keep it downstairs and use it with my Strat when I'm practicing. I keep it on the clean channel (as clean as you can get) for practicing legato, sweeping, etc. and doing so has helped my technique a lot in the past few months.

EDIT: Also, when I'm practicing, the TV screen and laptop are CLOSED. NO SCREENS WHEN YOU ARE PRACTICING. It makes your practice time much more productive. I should also add that lamp in the corner is essential to my practicing. It sound weird, but I always turn on that light when I'm playing guitar/practicing/working/recording/etc. and turn off the main light in my room and that not only relaxes me with the dimmer lighting, but it also trains me mentally to go "Oh hey, now it's time to work because this light is on."

This post has been edited by ConnorGilks: Dec 18 2012, 11:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 19 2012, 04:18 AM
Mesa boogie mark IV through my home build 1x12 cabs. I like to feel the sound but I don't think my neighbors do.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
JamesT
Dec 19 2012, 04:29 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
My setup isn't too complicated, but probably a little more so than absolutely necessary.
The center of my rig is a TC Electronics Studio Konnekt 48. It' serves as a digital mixer and the audio interface to my PC. I have some Alesis M1 Active monitors connected to the mixer as well as a subwoofer. The Konnekt has a remote control for the master volume, and some other functions as well as two headphone outputs. I normally turn the speakers off and use them for mixing only. The Konnekt has a bunch of channels. I use it to set the mix between my Pod HD500 and a Yamaha Motif ES7 syhthesizer as well as an old Korg M1 rack mount synth. I hardly every use the keyboard, but it's there and always hooked up in case I get some inspiration. For recording I almost always record the unprocessed guitar that's sent via SPDIF out of the HD500. But I monitor the HD500 with a nice preset. After recording then I re-amp the guitar with Guitar Rig 5 right inside of Sonar. This gives me really good control over the final tone while giving me efforless tone selection from the HD500 for monitoring and practicing. All in all, a very flexible and easy to use setup. I have all the outboard stuff hooked to one surge protector so all I have to do is hit one switch when I get home from work and I am ready to go. I don't have a live rig right now, but if I did. I'd probably get a clean power amp and speakers (almost like a PA) and hook the HD500 to them. Not sure if you can get away with using the HD500 by itself in a gig situation, but I hear that some people do exactly that.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2012, 02:35 AM
My setup has gotten a bit crazy to be honest smile.gif I'm going to start selling off a bit of gear to see if I can consolidate my studio.
Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 17 2012, 07:41 PM) *
Nowadays - I find myself practicing by going directly to the sound card interface and through the monitor speakers. I usually don't even take time to dial some great tone rather just go as direct as possible. I find this tone to be really cool sounding but when I recently played on my bass amp for a change - I was so surprised! THE TONE - what a huge difference. Especially in dynamics and all the percussive dead notes/scratches.

I really like that contrast when I go to a studio band practice and hear how my playing "really sounds"!
Always puts a smile on my face.

I still prefer to practice on through the interface just as its so handy - the less stuff I need to do in order to get setup for practice, the better for me! smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 20 2012, 07:58 AM
i sit down on the sofa with the guitar and..that's it tongue.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 20 2012, 07:58 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 23 2012, 09:53 AM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Dec 20 2012, 06:58 AM) *
i sit down on the sofa with the guitar and..that's it tongue.gif tongue.gif

Like smile.gif

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Dec 23 2012, 10:49 AM
Learning Guitar Lord

I like this set-up: simple, elegant, tidy and looks like you have everything you need. Great stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 25 2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks man, it's fantastic. Lot of work put into it but a lot of good things came from it as well, well worth it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Here's a little vid I've done with my practicing setup smile.gif Hope you guys like it!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Dec 26 2012, 10:39 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Wow C-Man, thanks a lot for posting this!! I really enjoyed watching your setup.. I really am very attracted to simple setups like that, great talent in music makes up for everything that is not there smile.gif Awesome !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 26 2012, 11:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 26 2012, 10:20 PM) *
Here's a little vid I've done with my practicing setup smile.gif Hope you guys like it!

Awesome video Cosmin - very interesting setup and pedalboard!
Looks like a very cosy place to practice and record guitar smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 27 2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Glad you like it guys! I was amazed by the sound quality that my phone could provide, so I will make more of these in the future biggrin.gif Stay tuned wink.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 4 2013, 08:20 AM
Pretty 'old school'. Not to complicated I'm afraid.

[attachment=30055:DSC00198.JPG]

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 4 2013, 08:22 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 4 2013, 07:20 AM) *
Pretty 'old school'. Not to complicated I'm afraid.

[attachment=30055:DSC00198.JPG]

Heey brother, what sort of a pickup is the one on the neck of your Tele? smile.gif

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 4 2013, 09:56 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Heey brother, what sort of a pickup is the one on the neck of your Tele? smile.gif

Yeah, that looks killer!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:49 PM