2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Instructor Boards, Please Read!
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 20 2007, 06:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Dear All,

The instructor boards are provided as a way for individual members to ask questions directly of individual instructors. Whilst comments and insights from others are of course welcome here as much as anywhere else, courtesy dictates that you should let the instructor whos board it is make the first reply to any question as they are the ones to whom the question is directed. After an instructor has replied, feel free to pile in with any additional comments or observations, but please do let the instructor answer first.

Thanks!

Andrew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2007, 07:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have been discussing in the "Ask an instructor" forum by mistake. It happens too easy the way the forum looks today. I think most of us use the "View new posts" and just check the subject and if it's an interesting one we enter and answer, because that's who we are, helpful people smile.gif

I suggest, if the change is possible, that when there's a post in the Ask an instructors forum that subject line or the Forum column is shown in a different and bright color.
That way we can rule out mistakes to occur. I can not promise I will not post in the wrong threads if they are not made to stick out more. If they do I can promise... to 99.9% tongue.gif
The ones with non color screens will still have the same problem... but I'm willing to take that risc. laugh.gif

Perhaps even Blindwillie will stop posting there if these posts are made more visible laugh.gif wink.gif

Andrew, can I ask from you to bring this up with Henrik? (so it's not mistaken for another silly request from MickeM) biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 20 2007, 07:06 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 20 2007, 12:52 PM) *
Dear All,

The instructor boards are provided as a way for individual members to ask questions directly of individual instructors. Whilst comments and insights from others are of course welcome here as much as anywhere else, courtesy dictates that you should let the instructor whos board it is make the first reply to any question as they are the ones to whom the question is directed. After an instructor has replied, feel free to pile in with any additional comments or observations, but please do let the instructor answer first.

Thanks!

Andrew

are your ready for this Andrew? The new gentler and kinder fkalich in action.

maybe it is not really intentional on the part of those who have transgressed here. It seems to me to be something that is very easy to miss. I know I have read a thread before, and that I did not notice for awhile that it was in that section. I have seen threads directed at some teacher my name, in the general section, so that won't necessarily alert a person. As a suggestion, perhaps some color coding, something that stands out, could be put on threads in that section, to alert people who owns it. Myself, I feel that is turf I should probably stay out of, except for questions, unless I have a good reason, and I would say something like "Marcus, I know it is your section, but if it is ok, I would like to add something." Even the old evil fkalich would have done that.

edit: ah, I see my good buddy MickieM was thinking alike here. One has to be careful with just my perspective, as I have mentioned before, anyone with more than 6 cats is certifiable.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 20 2007, 07:08 PM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 20 2007, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 20 2007, 08:06 PM) *
I have been discussing in the "Ask an instructor" forum by mistake. It happens too easy the way the forum looks today. I think most of us use the "View new posts" and just check the subject and if it's an interesting one we enter and answer, because that's who we are, helpful people smile.gif

QFT!
I read the forum through the "View new posts" feature and was the first I think to steal a thread.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2007, 08:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Sep 20 2007, 08:16 PM) *
QFT!
I read the forum through the "View new posts" feature and was the first I think to steal a thread.

What does QFT mean?

You were the pioneer, yes, I was merely wasking your footsteps, a humble follower. Both of us did it unintentionally, that's the point.

I only used you as an example to get focus off of myself wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 20 2007, 08:12 PM
I agree about the instructor boards needing some kind of visual indication too... or maybe even just excluding the posts made in these forums from the main page.

To MickeM: Im pretty sure QFT means quoted for truth.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 20 2007, 08:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, if I have ever done this it's just because I don't make a habit of checking what forum the post is in, only the topic title and poster. I don't usually go into the instructor forums actually, unless I know there's an interesting topic going on in one of them, or I need to ask a question or something. I do check it from time to time, but mostly it happens through the main page smile.gif

[edit] Honestly, this may be a topic for another thread, but I personally feel that theres way too many subforums in the instructor forums. There's like 14-15 instructor forums and some of them have upwards of 5 or 6 forums... thats a LOT of stuff to look through. I think it would be easier to navigate around there if each instructor had one forum, no subforums. I don't think any of them are getting so many posts in their forums that they really need to categorize them, just make a disclaimer at the top that any kind of post is okay as long as it relates to, for example, Pavel.

This post has been edited by JVM: Sep 20 2007, 08:22 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 20 2007, 09:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 20 2007, 07:52 PM) *
Dear All,

Thanks!

Andrew

Yeah, I agree, but as MickeM said it's a good idea to change the colour in the "View new post". wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 21 2007, 01:05 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Sep 20 2007, 04:44 PM) *
Yeah, I agree, but as MickeM said it's a good idea to change the colour in the "View new post". wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback all, MickeM and (new & kinder) fkalich raise a good point, and I am sorry if I sounded churlish for blaming GMCers - it is easy to do this if you just hit the show new threads button. I'll point this out to Kris and Henrik and see if there is a way we can make it more obvious.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 21 2007, 05:37 AM
Ok, Kris is aware of the issue and has added it to the list of developments to be done. We have some bug fixes to do and other big ticket items to finish such as the search, so it may not be straight away, so in the meantime lets always double check when we are posting and do our best to avoid this until we get a fix in place.

Once again, thanks for the feedback guys.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Sep 21 2007, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Sep 20 2007, 03:44 PM) *

Yeah, definitely need that. I've posted first in an instructors board a few times by mistake.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 4 2008, 07:20 PM
Get to da Chopper!
There are some that need to re-read these guidlines for sure.... mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 4 2008, 10:12 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 4 2008, 01:20 PM) *
There are some that need to re-read these guidlines for sure.... mellow.gif

I agree - thanks for bumping this thread DeepRoots!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 5 2008, 09:43 AM
Lets go fishing!
Double bump! tongue.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 5 2008, 10:46 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 5 2008, 09:43 PM) *
Double bump! tongue.gif

Triple bump. Muahahahaha!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 6 2008, 12:15 AM
The Dark Canuck
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to bump up this thread as a reminder, as I was just looking around the instructors boards and noticed that members are posting before the instructor has chance to answer their question. One of the great things about GMC is the members eagerness to help out one another, but we should let the questions posed to the instructors be answered by the instructors first.

Thanks

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: May 6 2008, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
steve25
May 6 2008, 12:22 AM
To be honest i think this will always happen as a lot of people go to posts from the main page. On top of that just because a student has posted doesn't mean an instructor can't either

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 6 2008, 12:29 AM
I have maybe done it twice by accident as I go from the new posts board and rarely look at where I'm posting to be honest.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Gus
May 6 2008, 12:30 AM
I didn't see this thread before.

But I also use the "View new posts" and may start answering something before the instructor by mistake...

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 6 2008, 12:33 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ May 5 2008, 07:22 PM) *
To be honest i think this will always happen as a lot of people go to posts from the main page. On top of that just because a student has posted doesn't mean an instructor can't either

I agree, its sometimes gets past us all, we are trying to keep on top of it though - even unintentional impoliteness should be avoided if at all possible smile.gif

If people read Rok's post maybe it will remind them to check before they jump in ... we're not pointing fingers, just gently reminding people!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:54 AM