Recording Gear
ruben_mcn
Nov 2 2009, 02:16 PM
Learning Roadie
So i got somthing like 1000 euros for my recording gear ... and i decided i´m going to get an logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.. an Line 6 tone port ux2 (that comes with pod farm and riffwors)...and some studio monitors(any sugestions??) Do i need anything else(like editing sofware) ???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Nov 2 2009, 02:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
I would advise you not to get the ux2 mate, ive got one and while it works well enough with pod farm it has too much latency for things like amplitube etc, better off with a cheaper ux1 or similar or a more spohisticated usb interface.
Riffworks is ok but you would be better of with a proper DAW programme, most of us here use Reaper which is free to use and download and hase very good features.
In terms of monitors, a lot of the guys here use the Edirol range which are very good quality and a good price, ive got a pair of Fostex PM.04 which are bi-amped and also quite good.
Once you have all the above youre all set to record, for basic movie editing Windows Movie Maker is fine, if a little finicky to get the synchronisation spot on, i recored all my playing vids with MM and my quickcam pro.

Hope this helps, any problems just ask!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 2 2009, 02:36 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Reaper is free to evaluate. If you intend to use it in the longer term then you should buy a license. A non-commercial license for Reaper is about 60USD.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 2 2009, 05:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Personally, I switched from Reaper to Ableton because I think it is much easier to use. Problem is it cost 150$. But that's still pretty cheap for that kind of software. wink.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 2 2009, 05:39 PM
GMC:er
If you bought any line-6 device, dig through your CD collection. They love shipping abelton live with their studio gear.

QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Nov 2 2009, 08:16 AM) *
So i got somthing like 1000 euros for my recording gear ... and i decided i´m going to get an logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.. an Line 6 tone port ux2 (that comes with pod farm and riffwors)...and some studio monitors(any sugestions??) Do i need anything else(like editing sofware) ???

the UX-models (1, 2, 8, or just the GX) will work great for monitoring with zero latency if you use it correctly. The UX series also comes with abelton in addition to riffworks. I haven't tried riffworks but abelton is pretty solid.

Side note: anyone experiencing latency with external audio interface should post their setup for correction. There's no reason for that to continue aside from user error.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 2 2009, 06:09 PM
Learning Roadie
What kind of music to you want to record? If I had a 1000€ budget I wouldn't go for a Line6 product.

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Nov 2 2009, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Skalde @ Nov 2 2009, 05:09 PM) *
What kind of music to you want to record? If I had a 1000€ budget I wouldn't go for a Line6 product.

- Hardrock, blues and some Metal ... what would you go for ???

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Nov 2 2009, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 2 2009, 09:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Nov 2 2009, 09:11 PM) *
- Hard rock, blues and some Metal ... what would you go for ???

I would have gone for E-MU 04/04 or it's bigger brother, also Presonus make some killer cards. And then I would have bought a Amp-Sim instead... or recorded the guitar with microphones or a Hot-Plate with speaker simulation.... + bought a couple of good microphones. The monitors recommended is great for their price, I have Tannoy's in my homestudio (quite expensive), but I will also add the nEar 05 active monitors which I use for my computer, they also sounds great... The most critical when doing home recordings (or recordings) is actually the AD/DA -converters, hence therefore it's better to invest in a good soundcard.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 2 2009, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
If you want to record rock metal I wouldn't recommend Line6 stuff.

First thing you will need is a decent soundcard which also serves as audio interface
EMU TRACKER PRE - 138€
With this device you can connect your guitar to the pc and you can also connect two microphones if you want to record your amp (then you should also buy a Shure Sm 57 - 100€ + another microphone maybe a shure sm 58 for recording vocals.

Instead of using the podmodellers you should buyREVALVER MK III ~ 200€ + RECABINET 2.0 ~ 15$ as a cabinet simulator
Forget Guitar Rig and pod products you will never get a decent metal tone out of them. Revalver MK III ist the best product from blues to High-Gain Metal.
As DAW I would suggest Reaper(~50€). You will get Cubase LE with the emu device for free, but I prefer Reaper. Depends on your personal taste.
There is also a free amp simulation which got a really good metal tone: Wagner Sharp! Check it out I use it for most of my recordings, but don't forget to put an cabinet simulation in the fx chain (you can use revalver's cabinet simulator with recabinet IR for this - or use the free keFIR plugin)

Most of the plugins you will need for recording are free, but I would go for a decent eq because it's is the most important tool you will work with.
Voxengo Curve EQ - 60€

I would also buy a plugin to create drumbeats. You can either use Addictive Drums or the more common EZ + Drumkit from Hell addon. ~170€ I believe.
It is easy to use and you will get amazing sounding drumbeats without much editing.

Reaper+interface+revalver+recabinet+curveEQ+EZ Drummer(DFH) will cost you ~630€ So there is a lot of money you can spend on monitors, cables and other stuff, maybe a better soundcard... you can spend a fortune on recording gear happy.gif Perhaps you can get some gear used.

I can also give you a list of good freeware plugins if you want. There is one which emulates the vintage tube screamer almost perfectly smile.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Nov 2 2009, 10:13 PM

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 2 2009, 11:00 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
With that budget I'd get a POD X3 instead of a UX2, plus some active monitors. Mackie, Tapco, Rockit...
Many instructors at GMC record their lessons using PODs.

When I record I use POD X3 through a set of inexpensive creative 2.1 desktop computer speakers and it sounds quite good. Then again my recordings are simple covers over original songs, collabs & REC takes, so I don't need anything too fancy.

Just my "amateur" opinion, if you wish to produce quality stuff then you might as well follow other options smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Nov 2 2009, 11:05 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 3 2009, 12:21 AM
Instructor
My recommendations:

webcam: Logitech 9000
DAW - Reaper
Interface: E-MU 0404USB, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, E-MU 1616m
Modeling software: Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube Fender
Monitors: M-Audio BX8

if you want details about it, let me know! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 3 2009, 12:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Skalde @ Nov 2 2009, 10:10 PM) *
If you want to record rock metal I wouldn't recommend Line6 stuff.

Instead of using the podmodellers you should buyREVALVER MK III ~ 200€ + RECABINET 2.0 ~ 15$ as a cabinet simulator
Forget Guitar Rig and pod products you will never get a decent metal tone out of them. Revalver MK III ist the best product from blues to High-Gain Metal.

Have You tried Overloud for metal ???? I think it will match Revalver, review is coming up in the WIKI..
For anything else than metal I totally agree with Ivan.... smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 3 2009, 12:54 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah I tried overloud and I heard amazing soundclips, but it just didn't work for me sad.gif

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Nov 3 2009, 01:17 AM
Learning Roadie
thank a lot i think i will have to reconsider what i´m going to get cause i don´t hear as good things about the line 6 toneports as i thougth i would..

Thanks for everybodys help....

ps: in the moddling software and the interface i was looking for some thing that come like in a pack thats why i was goin for the line 6 tone port cause it has the pod farm ..

Native Instruments Software N.I. Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol .. i saw this pack a while ago i think guitar rig has little hi distortion stuff...

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Nov 3 2009, 01:09 AM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 3 2009, 01:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Skalde @ Nov 3 2009, 12:54 AM) *
Yeah I tried overloud and I heard amazing soundclips, but it just didn't work for me sad.gif

Nah, its a tricky one. I found it hard to handle, with a kind of messy interface. But it has the import of cabinet impulses in common with Revalver and GR... I'm actually no metal-player, but as far as I can tell, I found them kind of similar. I think the trick here is to treat the Amp sims as real amps. Most of the effects I tried in these simulators sounds like crap to me. Then You must also have a good sound-card and double up the instances of the sim to make it real "fat". On the other hand, I will never sell my Fender & Marshall for a guitar sim.....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 4 2009, 10:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I prefer Revalver because you can really tweak it a lot and there is a great community where you can share presets

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 8 2009, 11:44 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
The Logitech webcam is very good, but I would also go for Guitar Rig here. In my opinion it sounds much better than the line 6 products, but thats a matter of personal taste too of course. Did you ever consider using Pro Tools? The version with the M-Box Mini is not that expensive and the package would give you the best recording software that is available today together with a very good audio interface, as far as I know you can get it for around 300 € in the moment, so there is still 700 left for the webcam, guitar rig (or line 6) and whatever else you still want.

This post has been edited by Marcus Siepen: Nov 8 2009, 11:46 AM

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 8 2009, 03:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Of course Guitar Rig is better than line6 products, but did you really try other amp modelling softwares like Revalver?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 8 2009, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 3 2009, 01:23 AM) *
I think the trick here is to treat the Amp sims as real amps.

//Staffay

This is what counts with sims the most, I couldn't agree more. Hearing the actual real amp, and then trying to simulate the tone with guitar modeler later will yield much better result than not hearing one and trying to emulate (sounds logical, but usually not a lot of people have the chance to do this, which is understandable ofc, considering the value of all that gear).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:57 AM