Midi Controller Function Assignment Suggestions?, For better workflow
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 3 2021, 02:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've been meaning to do this forever, but I haven't gotten around to it. I want to find some solutions to improve my workflow by assigning actions in Reaper to my midi controllers faders, knobs and so on. I.e. "volume", "pan", but more specific...

I know how to go about most of it in setting up channels, program changes and so on. However, I thought I'd ask if you guys have any suggestions or tips as to what your faders, knobs and such specifically are set up to do.

I have 3x8 faders, 3x8 knobs, 3x8 buttons, 4x16 MPC pad banks as well on my MPK88. Then my FCB1010 footswitch that I usually use to switch between guitar presets (or tracks) and my small LPK25. I've most likely missed some of the controls here, but I'd say there are quite enough to do a bit of this and that. And of course these can all run on midi channel 1 through 16, so there are plenty of room.

I would like to hear your suggestions beyond just "use a knob for pan" or "use a fader for volume", but maybe more detailed "i.e. fader 1 controls volume on track 1 in a project, and the S1 button turns on/off bypass of effect 1 on the track". Of course you don't have to write a novel about it all, but I just kinda want to get the ball rolling as to what I could set up.

Here's a list of all the actions, but it's a bit much looking through 10000+ actions to find the useful ones:

Attached File  ActionList.txt ( 939.79K ) Number of downloads: 101

A brain storming of ideas could just look like this:

Track # volume
Track # pan
Selected Track pan/volume
Zoom/Full Screen in midi editor
Humanize midi
Volume on a group track (i.e. to control volume of all guitars at the same time with a fader)

...and I'm sure the list of suggestions could be very long, as Reaper (with the SWS extension) has more than 10000 programmable actions.

Maybe you have an idea of what I could use a fader/knob/button for. Anything goes, as I'll just see if it's usable for me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 3 2021, 02:52 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2021, 10:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'd love to do something similar but all I have is basic key bindings for restart recording, stop recording etc.

I'll keep my eye on this wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 5 2021, 10:55 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 5 2021, 12:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 3 2021, 11:53 PM) *
I'd love to do something similar but all I have is basic key bindings for restart recording, so recording etc.

I'll keep my eye on this wink.gif

Yeah, I use a few PC keyboard hotkeys, but some things I'd like to bind to my midi keyboards faders, knobs and such. I haven't looked at it further since creating this thread though. Need to brainstorm a bit, I suppose. I want to label the faders, knobs and such too, as I bought a Dymo Label Maker.

Already did a few on my audio interface for practice laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 6 2021, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I'd definitely have a button to open/close the FX window. unless you have that as a permanently popped out window on another screen

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Dec 6 2021, 03:50 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 6 2021, 04:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 6 2021, 04:50 PM) *
I'd definitely have a button to open/close the FX window. unless you have that as a permanently popped out window on another screen

Good suggestion and one that can be worked further on too - i.e. bypass fx 1, 2, 3 etc. I wonder if it's even possible to have a specific fx start up by a button push. Interesting though smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2021, 02:59 AM
GMC:er
Give us a quick video maybe about how the new config is coming along?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 6 2021, 11:27 AM) *
Good suggestion and one that can be worked further on too - i.e. bypass fx 1, 2, 3 etc. I wonder if it's even possible to have a specific fx start up by a button push. Interesting though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 7 2021, 03:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 7 2021, 03:59 AM) *
Give us a quick video maybe about how the new config is coming along?

I'll try to do a video once I get beyond the brain storming phase smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 8 2021, 02:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was reading through some posts on the Cockos (Reaper) forum and came across this post, which is about a Flirc remote control function, however it should also work with the touch of a button on a midi controller:

QUOTE (Glenn Bo;2434454)
I even use the Flirc with my remote when I'm playing guitar and sitting at my mix desk. I've got the number zero programmed in REAPER to do a sequence of "Stop, Undo Recording, Rewind to the last start position, and Punch back into Record", so the moment I don't like what I'm recording I can hit "0" on the remote and am instantly trying again. I call it the "Do Over" function.

Interesting you would mention the Leslie.

In just in the last few days I've been making up a virtual amp using Guitar Rig and I put a damper pedal controlled Leslie on it. It takes two tracks because the Leslie control has midi for it's input where the Guitar Rig track has audio.

Earlier this morning I sketched out a new song using it.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=243...amp;postcount=7

Stumbled upon this thread as well, which might be exactly what I was looking for:

"Useful Macro Thread" (i.e. Reaper commands and hotkey combinations that can be assigned to midi keyboard too)

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=10049

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 8 2021, 08:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2021, 08:53 PM
GMC:er
Very handy! I remember a foot controller/audio interface a while back that had play/stop buttons as part of it stomp controls. Makes sense that midi commands could control reaper. Could be an efficient way to control things without taking hands off a guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 8 2021, 09:44 AM) *
I was reading through some posts on the Cockos (Reaper) forum and came across this post, which is about a Flirc remote control function, however it should also work with the touch of a button on a midi controller:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=243...amp;postcount=7

Stumbled upon this thread as well, which might be exactly what I was looking for:

"Useful Macro Thread" (i.e. Reaper commands and hotkey combinations that can be assigned to midi keyboard too)

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=10049

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 8 2021, 08:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 8 2021, 09:53 PM) *
Very handy! I remember a foot controller/audio interface a while back that had play/stop buttons as part of it stomp controls. Makes sense that midi commands could control reaper. Could be an efficient way to control things without taking hands off a guitar smile.gif

I actually quoted the wrong bit from the forum. Hadn't noticed. Meant to quote this guy:

I even use the Flirc with my remote when I'm playing guitar and sitting at my mix desk. I've got the number zero programmed in REAPER to do a sequence of "Stop, Undo Recording, Rewind to the last start position, and Punch back into Record", so the moment I don't like what I'm recording I can hit "0" on the remote and am instantly trying again. I call it the "Do Over" function.

Which is sort of what you're talking about smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:16 AM