Plug My Guitar To My Laptop...
Philippe
Dec 27 2007, 09:52 AM
GMC:er
Another newbie question...

I've listen to some collaborations on GMC, and I've been surprised by the nice tone some managed to get. On the other hand, I only managed to get a crappy tone. Maybe I need to experiment more.

Here's what i have:
Hardware
- a laptop (macbook)
- a behringer v-amp 2
- a jack cable 1/4 to 1/8
Software
- amplitube
- garageband

So far, I plugged my guitar into the v-amp 2, and then using the jack cable, into the computer. It worked, but it's not that great... I also tried to plug the guitar directly to the computer, and then I used amplitube (software amp simulator), but there's just too much latency. However i think it sounds better than the v-amp.

My question is: do I need a recording interface? i read on this forum that it would solve the latency problem I have with amplitube. I'm not sure to understand why though. The recording interface converts the guitar signal from analogic to digital which saves some processor usage? I also read that the signal of the guitar is too low and needs some sort of amplication. That surprises me too, because it seems that apart from the latency, I get an ok tone from amplitube. And that weak signal wouldn't explain the delay.

Anyway, what could I do to get a better tone?

Thanks
P.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 27 2007, 10:21 AM
Instructor
You could try something like this to plug your guitar to the computer:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/the_tbone_usb_1g.htm

It should take care of the latency. If it doesn't, try updating your soundcards drivers. And download ASIO drivers to your soundcard.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Dec 27 2007, 10:21 AM
Updating your driver is worth trying ofcause, if that don't do the trick then you will probably need an external soundcard and a good recording software to decrease latency, depending on the Chip-sett in your Laptop.
Every 10 ms of latency can be translaten into an approximately distances of 10 meters (33 feet) between guitar and amp.
Say the built-inn soundcard in your Laptop has a latency of 70-80 ms, whitch is normal because your laptop isn't build with the purpose of recording music, then this will translate to: you standing 80 meters (or 262 feet) away from your Amp. Not very convenient.
To get a feeling of "not having any latency" you must be below 10 ms, 8ms is good, 5ms is cool, 3ms is great.
Here are some idear of affordable stuff: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=produc...t&ID=guitar you will ofcause find loads of gear for this purpose.

This post has been edited by Twibeard: Dec 27 2007, 11:16 AM

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
SamJ
Dec 27 2007, 10:55 AM
I also had latency issues when I first started recording on my laptop but I downloaded a better ASIO driver and things worked great. My latency now is only about 4ms I think.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 27 2007, 12:10 PM
Instructor
4ms is great latency man. You can comfortably work with that trust me. I don't really see the problem here, you have your amplitube, you have the recording software, and you can play?

Again there are lot of recording interfaces out there. I can only recommend Toneport UX1 for example because I own one and familiar with. Toneport has direct monitoring, because it doesen't actually sends the signal straight away to the host app, instead it goes directly into the speakers out for you to hear it. But if you do turn on the monitoring in your host app, you still get a latency wink.gif But it is a small latency, and even with that you can work. I've tried some guitar processing software and seen that it works great, but I don't really use it because toneport has its own software - the gearbox for that, that gives great results.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SamJ
Dec 27 2007, 12:54 PM
Oops, I think you got me confused with the threadstarter. I was just saying how he might be able to solve his latency problems. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sillyman
Dec 27 2007, 01:38 PM
hey duno if this helps but theres a universal "driver" for asio here. its freeware and it solved my latency problems with my laptop

--------------------
Ibanez sa260 (hell ya)
Ibanez 10 watt amp (hell no)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 27 2007, 04:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sam Hook @ Dec 27 2007, 12:54 PM) *
Oops, I think you got me confused with the threadstarter. I was just saying how he might be able to solve his latency problems. smile.gif

Sorry about that one man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:20 AM