How To Learn Songs For Auditions, Or how to get a gig?
Alex Feather
Dec 22 2011, 04:56 PM
Instructor
Hello everybody! I wanted to talk about learning songs for auditions
When you got offered a gig it's very important to get ready and show your best! It took me years to figure out how to pass an audition and get prepared properly. Don't take me wrong and there are gonna be situations when you will not get hired but using this techniques you will do your best and will get a higher chance of being hired!
So you found a gig you like and have an audition scheduled you got the songs and now have to learn the music
1) know the form! This is one of the biggest mistakes musicians make when they have to learn new material
They don't know the form of the song and getting nervous and confused! You can make little notes I found its to be easier to write the form down using A-B-C technique
A - verse
B - chorus
C - bridge
2)learn the main chord progression first and analyze it
It's very important to learn chord progression and understand what scale is being used and what modes you can use if you will have to improvise on the spot. Most of the times you will be asked just to jam over a song. Write it down as well!
There are two different techniques to use
1) chords of the song
2) numbers (chord degree in the scale) for example if we are in Gmajor and we will harmonize the scale we will get
Gmaj-ami-bmi-cmaj-dmaj-emi-f#dim
And numbers will be
Gmajor-i
Ami-ii
Bmi-iii
Cmaj-iv
Dmaj-v
Emi-vi
F#dim- vii
It's better to do numbers this way you can always transpose song to a different key if needed but if it's too hard you can do chords as well
3) learn both parts! Even if you are auditioning for a lead guitar and were asked to learn only solos and some leads always learn both parts! First of all you will learn song deeper and will make a better impression also you will learn something new and develope your ear better!
4) there is nothing wrong to ask a question! Pretty much all the time you will get already mixed project and it can very hard to hear all the parts there is nothing wrong if you will call the manager or one of the band members and will ask for a little help or even a separate track! You need to learn the material and get as prepared as possible! Also people like when you are very responsible that means you can be trusted!
5) be at the audition earlier! Always come earlier this way you will be able to warm up, get your thoughts together and also see your competitors! Last one is very important because you can get new connections and figure out a level of other guys!
6) make sure your gear is working!this one is the most important part! You can't imagine how many times musicians lost gigs because of their broken gear! So check everything twice!!!!!!
I think this is it! Just remember to be polite and nice, it's a good idea to talk but don't over do it!
Remember that there is a gig for everybody and even if you won't get a call back after your first try it doesn't mean anything! Just keep trying and you will get your dream gig!
Good luck!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Dec 22 2011, 05:55 PM
GMC:er
Awesome tips, thanks, Alex smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 06:07 PM
Instructor
These are excellent professional advices, useful stuff Alex! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2011, 08:13 PM
Instructor
Oh yes! Nicely said mate! Useful stuff, summed up in one spot! I've been going through a thing like this yesterday, where I had to learn about 8 songs in 4-5 hrs, and I went on stage without a proper rehearsal.

But the level of fun was HUGE biggrin.gif we had to follow the singer's lead, as we didn't have enough time to internalize the structures and details of the songs. Anyway, the experience went pretty good from one end to the other, but I wouldn't do it in a more serious situation - important gig on a big stage (I was asked, along some of my friends in other bands, to accompany this guy who's a famous singer in Romania at a corporate Christmas party)

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 24 2011, 09:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 22 2011, 07:13 PM) *
Oh yes! Nicely said mate! Useful stuff, summed up in one spot! I've been going through a thing like this yesterday, where I had to learn about 8 songs in 4-5 hrs, and I went on stage without a proper rehearsal.

But the level of fun was HUGE biggrin.gif we had to follow the singer's lead, as we didn't have enough time to internalize the structures and details of the songs. Anyway, the experience went pretty good from one end to the other, but I wouldn't do it in a more serious situation - important gig on a big stage (I was asked, along some of my friends in other bands, to accompany this guy who's a famous singer in Romania at a corporate Christmas party)

Yeah it happens all the time! I had situations when I had to learn 30 songs in one day and go on tour it's a hard job ! But it's the best job ever!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:54 PM