Well I Think I Need Some Speed Picking Help.
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 4 2007, 05:56 AM
GMC:er
Well i can play fairly fast. But in the wrong ways. For quite some time while ive been speedpicking i tend to use more then just my hand i use my whole arm. 35 seconds into whatever im playing my arm burns like wild fire and i have to stop. Im not sure ive im holding the pick wrong or if i am maybe just not being strict enough with using just my hand ? Whenever i tend to use just my hand i cant get the speed that i stride for. This is really becoming a road block for me and i need to break through it and any advice on speed picking- pick postion and hand movements would be appreciated.

( ive watched krisses video on speed picking several times and im still not getting it)

Thanks smile.gif -John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Mar 4 2007, 06:57 AM
Join the "We been doing it wrong for years club" There is a bunch of us in here. All I can tell you is to watch the videos on the basics of speed picking and make sure you correct all of the things you are doing wrong. Even if you are playing one note every 2 seconds. I will admit it has been aggravating to me personally to start over in areas I thought I had conquered years ago.
Use a metronome...
Pick a couple patterns, the ones in the videos are great but any pattern that fits in a scale will work...
Start at a speed you can do perfectly. If you are moving your arm too much, when you correct this, it is going to slow your speed down a bunch. That is the bummer. Try to increase your speed only a slight amount every day or so. It takes a long time, I have about 20 hours of playing the same licks over and over but it is working.
But man it will work, I have been in here for a little over 2 weeks now and I have cleaned my picking up by leaps and bounds. And now when I just try to rip something off It is cleaner than before. So then, I go right back to click click click. You must have hours at each level of speed. There is no short cuts to being clean.
GL

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Mar 4 2007, 07:03 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 4 2007, 07:04 AM
thanks leed. Im aware that there are no short cuts. It just sucks to feel like youve came so far only to be sent back the way you came from. But i think i mainly just need to fix up my hand and arm movements. Control ,Control, Control

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 4 2007, 03:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Mar 4 2007, 01:04 AM) *
thanks leed. Im aware that there are no short cuts. It just sucks to feel like youve came so far only to be sent back the way you came from. But i think i mainly just need to fix up my hand and arm movements. Control ,Control, Control

Yeah, practice ...

To help with the arm movements, try this - you need to keep your hand mostly motionless and bend the wrist, so try palm muting everything for a while - that way you can't move your entire arm. Hopefully that will teach you to use smaller wrist movements, and you can keep with that when you move pack to non-palm muting. One thing I am finding about playing cleanly is that you are pretty close to palm muting everything most of the time to stop unwanted notes from ringing.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 4 2007, 03:17 PM
alright andrew ill try that thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:54 PM