3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
I Need To Lose Weight
Jeff
Sep 25 2008, 02:19 AM
GMC:er
OK - I need to lose weight! I totally did it to myself too and now I'm sick of the way I feel. I admit it - I'm a freakin' slob! mad.gif I'm not really a big guy and I should be about 175 lbs for my size frame. I'm 5'10 and 200 lbs. My goal is to be about 175. I feel best at that weight.

I need some motivation. How can I get motivated to work out. How can I pass that stupid vending machine at my office?! unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 25 2008, 02:43 AM
Maintaining a good diet is really the first step. What you need to do, as the experts would say, is to eat at least 5-6 small meals a day. This prevent you from cravings and hunger. Never do those one meal a day kind of "diets". Its not healthy for anyone, and it will actually make you more fat. Why? Because your body knows that food comes in ration so it will store up food rather than burning it. You need to keep eating so your body keeps burning. Also, forget about those 2,000 daily diets or something because that will just make it hell for anyone on a diet. Eat what your eating, but eat it in more healthy way. Cutting down would be a good way to start. Keep up with this diet, and start taking the stairs instead of the elevators. Be active as much as possible.

Its very easy to get lazy, I know I do. That's why when I go to school, I park as far as I can. Lift weight when I have the time, and just be active you know. Loosing weight and being healthy will just naturally comes to your body when you start to exercise more.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 25 2008, 02:52 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Sep 24 2008, 08:43 PM) *
Maintaining a good diet is really the first step. What you need to do, as the experts would say, is to eat at least 5-6 small meals a day. This prevent you from cravings and hunger. Never do those one meal a day kind of "diets". Its not healthy for anyone, and it will actually make you more fat. Why? Because your body knows that food comes in ration so it will store up food rather than burning it. You need to keep eating so your body keeps burning. Also, forget about those 2,000 daily diets or something because that will just make it hell for anyone on a diet. Eat what your eating, but eat it in more healthy way. Cutting down would be a good way to start. Keep up with this diet, and start taking the stairs instead of the elevators. Be active as much as possible.

Its very easy to get lazy, I know I do. That's why when I go to school, I park as far as I can. Lift weight when I have the time, and just be active you know. Loosing weight and being healthy will just naturally comes to your body when you start to exercise more.

Vince, Good advice! smile.gif I'll start by taking the stairs and parking further away from places. I think I need to write down an eating plan and stick with it. You are definitely right about eating a lot of smaller meals. I keep forgetting to do that. Maybe I'll get the nerve to post my progress???
Thanks!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 25 2008, 03:09 AM
Oh yeah almost forgot, don't get rid of carb altogether. No carb means no glucose (simple sugar). We need carbs to function. No carbs in your diet hence no energy, and making you more lazy.

As far as eating plan, well its good, but it will make your more vulnerable for crashing your diets. Just get rid of junk food, POP, alcohol and other bad stuff. Don't eat past 9.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Sep 25 2008, 03:15 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 25 2008, 04:03 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hey Jeff, when I saw your post, I thought....hey that's me. laugh.gif I used to be very active and worked out everyday. My daily routine is pretty hectic and I only have a couple of hours a day to dedicate to "Hobie's".(exercising should never be considered a hobby, but a way of a healthy lifestyle). Since I picked up the guitar, I use that time for it. Also in the last year, I've pretty much been confined to a desk job...(no physical activity at work) sad.gif laugh.gif . I definitely need to start practicing what I preach laugh.gif

One thing you need to consider is your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This is the number of calories your body will burn at a resting state. As we get older this number declines. Also depriving your body of food to loose weight will decrease this rate as well. To get an idea of how many calories to take in a day, this should be where you start.

Myself,at 5ft 9in, 195lbs and 35 years old, my BMR is 1919.15. Which means I need 1919 calories a day to survive at rest. Their are other factors that go into this number which could fluctuate it +/- 10%.

After this number, then you factor in your AMR, (Active Metabolic Rate) This number can vary quite a bit so I would find an on line calculator to determine your activity level and how many calories your burn daily.

When you have determined how many calories a day you need, divide them into 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

Jeez, I 'm rambling on... blink.gif I guess I needed to type and realize this is exactly what I need to do laugh.gif

Hope it helps a bit man and not to confusing,

Steve

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Sep 25 2008, 04:05 AM
We should totally trade weights! I'm trying to get to 200lbs, but I weight 175!

Totally not helpful, just thought it was a bit interesting. tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Sep 25 2008, 04:32 AM
QUOTE (Jeff @ Sep 25 2008, 02:19 AM) *
OK - I need to lose weight! I totally did it to myself too and now I'm sick of the way I feel. I admit it - I'm a freakin' slob! mad.gif I'm not really a big guy and I should be about 175 lbs for my size frame. I'm 5'10 and 200 lbs. My goal is to be about 175. I feel best at that weight.

I need some motivation. How can I get motivated to work out. How can I pass that stupid vending machine at my office?! unsure.gif

Its mostly about getting your diet under control.
Exercise will certainly help but you have to watch what you eat at the same time.
For example...I can run 3 miles every other day and put on weight. However I can modify my diet ...not work out at all and lose weight big time. Working out will jump start your metabolism...it wont make up for a 12 pack of soda and two candy bars every day.
Do research...adjust your diet accordingly...commit to it....work out ...lose weight....thats it.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Sep 25 2008, 06:45 AM
Learning Roadie
I managed to loose around 35 pounds by only changing few things.

• Stop drinking soft drinks containing sugar: If you need a soft drink, drink one with no sugar. (overall you should try to remove ALL sugar. Even the sugar in your coffee, tea, whatever). No sugar, what so ever.
  • Skip the second dinner plate: I always took a second plate at dinner time. Even though i did not need it. I love food, so this was probably the hardest.
  • Just eat less. I found out the amount of food i was eating was generally way too much. You dont actually need that much.
  • Remove ALL fastfood from your diet.

These were the four changes I tried to make. I was actually terrified thinking i could not loose weight, because all diets say you have to eat a huge pile of vegetables and you have to exercise all the time.

I have never been really happy about vegetables. In fact i hate them. Still do to some extend, but i have become better at eating them (and i am not even trying to loose weight now).

However, it really comes down to yourself. Forget about willpower. Willpower has nothing to do with it. If you really really have an inner wish wanting to loose weight it will happen.
However, if you have even a shred of insecurity about this, it will make it a LOT harder.

I am a programmer in my professional life, so i more or less sit by the computer all day long. I did not exercise more than i did before, and i did not eat more vegetables. I followed my four changes and i lost the weight. I cannot believe how easy it really was.

In the beginning you will feel that you are starving yourself, but you are really not. You are just cutting down, and your body reacts to it. A couple of days in and your body has already adjusted.

It's been 3 years since i did this, and i have regained 5 of those 35 pounds. I am no longer overweight, but i would still like to loose some weight. The thing is, it is not happening. That inner inner wish is not there. Now it's more like. "It would be cool to loose the weight, but i am actually overall happy about my body". This thought is the reason i am not loosing the weight.

It took me around a year to loose 35 pounds, but keep in mind that i did nothing more than follow my four changes. If you exercise (which i would also recommend) it will go faster. If you cut some potatoes/rice in favor of vegestables it will also go faster.

Also keep in mind that it will probably go quite fast in the beginning, because you loose a lot of water. After a week (or a couple of weeks) it will begin to go slower. Dont let it turn you down.. It is perfectly normal.. Usually its possible to loose around 1-2 pounds a week.

Keep in mind: If you really really want it. It's easy!

I hope you can use some of it, but let me know if you need some help or anything else.

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Sep 25 2008, 06:47 AM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 25 2008, 07:42 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Some tricks I know from my own experience or someones else:

1. when You are hungry, take Your shirt of and start eating before the mirror. Sometimes You don't want to eat anymore ph34r.gif

2. Stop eating 4 hours before You go to sleep, I think it is one of the most important things to do, from my own experience.

3. Drink much water and chew chewing gum, the hunger will be smaller.

4. If You have a "stationary bike" ( the one that stays in one place ) try to watch TV while using it. Start at the hardest level, and lower it when You're getting tired, that way You can train on it much longer. Besides when You are concentrated on something else ( so TV in this example ) You are getting tired in a slower rate.

5. If doing any exercises, don't listen to slow/melancholic/etc music, it will make You sleepy and unwilling to train much faster. Some fast/energetic music is better, or use some songs that will motivate You like "Eye of the Tiger";)

Don't remember more now, hope these help!

PS: ( I need to loose weight also! wacko.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 25 2008, 08:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
First of all, no diet in the world will help if you don't have your mind set to it. Selfmotivation is the hardest part. I tend to focus on leaving a present state rather than setting up goals about this and that that rarely will be fulfilled to precieness anyway.

I did the same as Zion, that's the only thing that works for me. For the reasons that diets are boring and useless imho, should be a diet it should be a changeover for permanent effect.
By getting rid of sugar alone I lost 12kg/26lbs in half a year. Sure, it wasn't fast but it was rather easy if the mind is set on it.
Means no real sugar in the coffe, no soft drinks at all, no pasteries.

And by cutting the sugar you might get a sweet (no pun intended) side effect as you see the weight go and that you feel inspired from your success and you're spured to put vegetabled on your plate, exchange the white bread for wholemeal, eat smaller portions etc.

Then I my case I had a struck of bad luck since I became sick and had to eat cortinososis which has a very negative effect on weight (you add body water, get hungry, get hyper, can't sleep) so I gained the 12 kg's back in just 6-8 weeks. That was quite a nasty blow dry.gif

Now I weigh in at 96 kg which is where I started before I got ill, I'm guessing a couple kg's were gained from hard labor all summer (redecorated the garden and added a couple tons of stone) but that would be muscles unsure.gif so I don't want to lose that laugh.gif
I stopped the cortisonosis long time ago so there's really nothing that stops me from getting started on the weight loss again, except for just not feeling like it... but...

Jeff, you know what, I'm starting today since your post was a reminder to me about something I should have done long ago laugh.gif I'll do it the same way like before, I'm quitting sugar since I know that worked so well for me.
I'm aiming for 85 kg, no particular day or time limit, when I'm there I'm there. Havn't had my morning coffe yet, will have it now, skipping the two pieces of sugar and I'll add artificial sweetener instead.
Thanks for the reminder and I hope you can get started too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 25 2008, 09:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 25 2008, 09:44 AM) *
First of all, no diet in the world will help if you don't have your mind set to it. Selfmotivation is the hardest part.

I totally agree with that!

I don't have much weight problems myself. But the first thing I do every morning when I wake up (sometimes even before I open my eyes), is to do 50 push-ups. biggrin.gif It gets me in a "healthy mood" for the rest of the day which makes me stay away from the vending machines!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 25 2008, 10:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've been running a couple times a week for about a year now... I have only lost about 8kg, but I guess that's because I still eat a lot. Gonna change that now thanks to the tips above ^^

QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Sep 25 2008, 10:18 AM) *
I don't have much weight problems myself. But the first thing I do every morning when I wake up (sometimes even before I open my eyes), is to do 50 push-ups. biggrin.gif It gets me in a "healthy mood" for the rest of the day which makes me stay away from the vending machines!

Haha, I've started to do that as well tongue.gif
Well, not 50.. only 30.. And I have to take them with my knees on the ground, but I'm getting there tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 25 2008, 10:35 AM
I stopped drinking soda, and alcohol on a daily/weekly basis, and instead of driving im taking my bicycle everywhere i go now... it's helped me quite a bit. Good luck man smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 25 2008, 03:21 PM
WOW! Thanks for all of this great advice everyone. Some of these things I never thought much about. I'm gonna take these suggestions and do something with it!. I too set at a desk all day and I have to drive amost 1 hour to and from work so that is more time I am just setting in my car. By the time I get home and put three kids to bed I'm wipped out.

It doesn't help that I'm getting older and the weight is getting harder to maintain. OK so now I guess I'll have to let everybody know how I am doing. ohmy.gif laugh.gif !

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Sep 25 2008, 12:45 AM) *
I managed to loose around 35 pounds by only changing few things.

• Stop drinking soft drinks containing sugar: If you need a soft drink, drink one with no sugar. (overall you should try to remove ALL sugar. Even the sugar in your coffee, tea, whatever). No sugar, what so ever.
  • Skip the second dinner plate: I always took a second plate at dinner time. Even though i did not need it. I love food, so this was probably the hardest.
  • Just eat less. I found out the amount of food i was eating was generally way too much. You dont actually need that much.
  • Remove ALL fastfood from your diet.

I hope you can use some of it, but let me know if you need some help or anything else.

Zion - Really appreciate it. Sounds like a pretty basic plan that I should be doing regardless if I'm trying to lose weight or not. Makes a lot of sense.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 25 2008, 03:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey guys thanks for all the advices...I really need to start applying them now because I also need to loose some weight!! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 25 2008, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Sep 25 2008, 03:18 AM) *
I totally agree with that!

I'll try it. But I'll start easy. Maybe 2 or 3. laugh.gif

Thanks!

QUOTE (Tjchep @ Sep 24 2008, 10:05 PM) *
We should totally trade weights! I'm trying to get to 200lbs, but I weight 175!

Totally not helpful, just thought it was a bit interesting. tongue.gif

Ok it's a deal. smile.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 25 2008, 02:44 AM) *
Thanks for the reminder and I hope you can get started too smile.gif

Joining me then MickeM? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Slammer
Sep 25 2008, 04:12 PM
It's funny you should make this thread, As I just started working out on monday.

I'm not really "Overweight", at 6"1 -185 pounds.

But, I still have a Pouch on my belly from too much much junk food, Pizza perhaps unsure.gif

So I finally decided to do something about it, On Monday(Sept 22nd) I started a 90 day workout plan. Well it was one I saw on TV laugh.gif

Anyways, It comes with a simple diet plan, which I guess is pretty Basic stuff about eating 5 small meals a day, less fat, more lean meats etc.

And also drink alot of water.

And I can honestly say, the thing that has helped me the most so far, has been the change in diet, just by eating small portions of healthier food, And drinking alot of water- plus the exercise.

Since Monday I've lost 3.5 pounds laugh.gif

Of course alot of it is water weight, but, This is motivating me to keep pushing.

I have a LOOOONNNGGGG way to go, until like December 20-21 I guess. But I'm gonna stick to it. And my goal is to be fit, and have some abs cool.gif

Then I can go to the beach biggrin.gif cool.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Slammer: Sep 25 2008, 04:58 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 25 2008, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeff @ Sep 25 2008, 05:04 PM) *
I'll try it. But I'll start easy. Maybe 2 or 3. laugh.gif

That's fine Jeff. Start with 2 or 3, then next day do 4 or 5, next day 6 or 7, etc. etc.

It's just like practicing guitar - increasing bit by bit smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2008, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Diet is one important step. The other is physical activity to turn all the fat into muscles and shape up. There's no need for some rigorous training tho - you should do some walking/running or simple exercises at home at least twice a week.
This will not only help your body to become stronger and thinner, it will also make your brain a lot fresher. Also maintaining this kind of exercises greatly improves your health as well, which I think is the most important thing if you have excess of weight that you wanna reduce. Good luck mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Slammer
Sep 25 2008, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 25 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Diet is one important step. The other is physical activity to turn all the fat into muscles and shape up. There's no need for some rigorous training tho - you should do some walking/running or simple exercises at home at least twice a week.
This will not only help your body to become stronger and thinner, it will also make your brain a lot fresher. Also maintaining this kind of exercises greatly improves your health as well, which I think is the most important thing if you have excess of weight that you wanna reduce. Good luck mate.

Yeah, thats good advice.

I try to walk at least 1 mile a day. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 11:59 AM