> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Jesssej's Guitar Expressionsim From A To Z
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 10 2012, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Hey Jesse smile.gif I am really stunned by the fact that the positions and fingerings are correct but the sounds are not what they should be. I think you may be touching some other string and hitting it with the pick when playing the octaves?

BTW I love that PRS biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 10 2012, 11:34 PM
GMC:er
Hi Cosmin.

Yah thanks I love my guitar to ! Anyways down to business.

The only other thing I can think of thats wrong would be the tuneing. But I just double checked and I am tuned properly and I tune before each time I play. Are you tuned to Eb ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2012, 05:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 10 2012, 10:34 PM) *
Hi Cosmin.

Yah thanks I love my guitar to ! Anyways down to business.

The only other thing I can think of thats wrong would be the tuneing. But I just double checked and I am tuned properly and I tune before each time I play. Are you tuned to Eb ?

I am tuned to drop C, but that's not the problem, as we are not dealing with tuning here but with the sounds created by various intervals stacked over one another where at some point there is a not which creates unwanted dissonance in that group smile.gif

Here's what I suggest - would you like to try another octave based lesson and see if the same phenomenon occurs?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 11 2012, 05:57 PM
Sounds good ! Which one did you have in mind ? BTW once I have Octaves perfected I have something super cool I think we should work on together !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2012, 07:22 AM
Instructor
Ahoy Jesse! smile.gif What did you have in mind man?

Here's a good octave based lesson I was thinking you could tackle: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...octaves-lesson/

What say you, my friend?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 13 2012, 01:27 AM
That lesson hits the spot ! I have wanted to start learning some more hard rock/Metal stuff. Do you want me to keep practicing the AFI style lesson or should I drop it and just practice this one ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 13 2012, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Let's focus on this one for now and we shall get back to the AFI one once you get a good grasp on this one wink.gif

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 18 2012, 01:34 AM
Well something funny was going on in garageband and the backing track was so loud compared to my guitar that you couldn't even hear my guitar so I recorded without the backing track. Here it is smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/jessej-3/metal-octaves

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
Good morning man smile.gif I notice that it's the same thing with the octaves here - there's a wrong note in each octave, which makes things sound nasty. I got an idea - try and record against the lesson and you will hear the differences!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 18 2012, 02:13 PM
[quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Jul 18 2012, 06:42 AM' post='595949']
Good morning man smile.gif I notice that it's the same thing with the octaves here - there's a wrong note in each octave, which makes things sound nasty. I got an idea - try and record against the lesson and you will hear the differences!

I tried recording against the lesson but the backing track was so loud I couldn't hear my guitar. I tried very hard not to hit the low E string and mute the D string so was it the high E string or the b string that were accidently played ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 19 2012, 10:40 AM
Instructor
Hey Jesse! You should become able to hit only certain strings when playing - especially in the case of octaves.

The idea here is to manage to hit the top and bottom strings making up the octave and mute the string between them, using the inner part of your index finger, right below the part which you use to press the root note of the octave interval. Hope this makes sense, but nonetheless, it will be of great use in the future.

These should sound clean, very clean smile.gif Let's overcome this hurdle, shall we?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 20 2012, 02:59 PM
I thought you said that I should mute the high B and e strings and play them muted to get what you called the "chuck chuck sound ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2012, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 20 2012, 01:59 PM) *
I thought you said that I should mute the high B and e strings and play them muted to get what you called the "chuck chuck sound ?

I did say so indeed, but it seems you need to isolate the exact 2 notes which need to me heard simultaneously and then get to the interpretation details smile.gif

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 23 2012, 07:03 AM
Whats wrong with when I'm playing the notes that need to be played ? Am I muting them by accident ? 

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 23 2012, 06:03 AM) *
Whats wrong with when I'm playing the notes that need to be played ? Am I muting them by accident ? 

I don't think you are muting anything, but you are hitting some wrong notes - it really puzzles me, to be honest, because I can't figure out what you are doing there. Try to hit the two notes making up the octave in a single stroke while muting all the other strings which should not ring out. Pay close attention to what your fingers are pressing - you need to make those two notes ring and none others wink.gif

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 27 2012, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2012, 10:06 AM) *
I don't think you are muting anything, but you are hitting some wrong notes - it really puzzles me, to be honest, because I can't figure out what you are doing there. Try to hit the two notes making up the octave in a single stroke while muting all the other strings which should not ring out. Pay close attention to what your fingers are pressing - you need to make those two notes ring and none others wink.gif

Thats what I do. I don't play the low E , I ply the A string mute the D play the G string and mute the high B, and E strings . I am sure that is how I play it. I slowed the lesson right down and practied it and brought my speed up slowly with proper form. So I am confused as you are !?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2012, 07:57 AM
Instructor
That's the problem mate smile.gif Your description fits the correct position in all the ways, but the recording sounds otherwise - that's why I am so puzzled. Any thoughts? Is the guitar in tune? This is really weird bro laugh.gif Let's sort it out!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Aug 1 2012, 06:41 PM
Well the only thing I can think of is poor audio quality. I am working on getting a interface and mic. I just have to make my mind up between the focusrite scarlett 2i2 or M-Audio mobile Pre II. Then I will have better recording quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 2 2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Alright! Let me know when it's done mate, in the mean time - shall we proceed on something new?

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Aug 3 2012, 03:56 PM
Good Idea smile.gif Did you have anything specific in mind ? I would really like to learn pinch harmonics.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:17 AM