2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Emg-hz ?, Thinking about 81
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 29 2010, 08:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi fellow GMCers,

Today I was in a metal mood so I have put my stratocaster away and I have playd a bit with my previous lover, my ESP LTD-F200 (wich has been replaced by the 400 and the 350). At first I was really impress to noticed that I hadn't played with that guitar for so long. It was so easy to play on that neck it felt really great especially for bending and vibrato (don't know why).

Then I tried to do a Zakk Wylde kind of harmonics on the low e-string 3rd frets, almost nothing came out.. I repeted it several times and it seems like something was killing my harmonics wacko.gif . Then I rememberer that I use to have trouble with sustaining my harmonics with that guitar. I swap it for the stratocaster and ohhhhhhhhhhh..... Mr. Wylde would have been jealous of that pinch harmonics wub.gif ... The tone was perfect....

I have the feeling that the EMG-HZ inside that guitar are killing my harmonics... Also by comparing the two tone I had the impression that my ESP was really to bassy even tho I played quite a bit with the EQ. The tone of my stratocaster (with a Dimarzio chopper in the bridge) own my ESP big time, even for those heavy distortion sound.

Since they are already EMG in my guitar I had thought about switching them for real active pickups like 81/85 or 81/60. Any thought about this. The owner of the local music store had offered me to put a Wylde sets of 81/85 for 300 $ canadian a few years ago. I'm thinking about putting some money aside to swap thos pups... Is it worth it ???

Thanks for your precious help as always biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 29 2010, 09:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
The EMG HZ aren't the best pickups in the world but they can certainly deliver a good metal tone - Just look at Children Of Bodom! They play the EMG HZ and they have screamoing pinch harmonics and tremolo squeals.

The problem with the sustain and outcome of your harmonics is not the fault of the EMG hz pickups - they are capable of that at least as good as the DiMarzio Chopper! The problem must be something else, however I cannot say what it is without playing your ESP ltd...

It could be the setup of your guitar, faulty wiring, cheap woods (it's a low end guitar after all), amp settings - the list goes on.

Switching to active pickups won't make much sense because they are almost as expensive as your whole guitar! You cannot really improve what isn't there (cheap woods, crafting, etc...). Also the EMG active ones have similiar PH-cababilities to the HZ ones and as I said the humbucker is not the problem in your case!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 29 2010, 09:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Maybe my guitar as not as good in quality as what I taught at the beginning. I payed that guitar like 950$ canadian a few years ago. I always taught that the problem had to do with the pickup but if I am wrong then this is too bad. I don't think that the problem of the pinch has to do with the settings of my amp because it worked well with my strat, I had plenty of gain, mid and trebble.

I will do other tests now as I hope this guitar is not totally cheap.

Thanks for you help Zakk I knew you would answer this thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 29 2010, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Master

Just listen to the man himself playing his Epipone signature with EMG HZ pickups, he starts doing harmonics at arround 5 minutes into the video...

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2010, 09:53 PM
GMC:er
Zakk is exactly right here. Given the situation, I'd say take a look at the AFTERBURNER and PA2 boost kit from EMG. Adds 20db of gain and works with passive and active pickups.

EMG BOOST SWITCH KIT
Attached Image
EMG Afterburner
Attached Image
It's a fairly cheap way to give your sound a lot more punch and you won't have to replace your pickups. smile.gif I've got the boost toggle as part of my KERRY KING 81/85 EMG set and it RAAAWWWWKKKKSSS.

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 29 2010, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 29 2010, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I got my answer here ..... Those pups aren't that bad.... I got those kinds of harmonics with my strat but not with the ESP...

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 29 2010, 04:53 PM) *
Zakk is exactly right here. Given the situation, I'd say take a look at the AFTERBURNER and PA2 boost kit from EMG. Adds 20db of gain and works with passive and active pickups.

EMG BOOST SWITCH KIT

EMG Afterburner

It's a fairly cheap way to give your sound a lot more punch and you won't have to replace your pickups. smile.gif I've got the boost toggle as part of my KERRY KING 81/85 EMG set and it RAAAWWWWKKKKSSS.

Todd

I have the afterburner in the guitar but I never really used it I have always found that it gave me a weird sound .... I haven't worked with that for a while... I am trying that now...

After a few test I am now much more satisfied with my sound.... The afterburner helps a lot with the harmonics but I find that it really dirties the sound.... I jus remeber that this guitar is strung with some 10-52 Dean Markley and in my strat I use some 10-46 D'addario.

I am starting to believe that it is my vibrato that kills my tone on the ESP maybe with some lighter strings it will help, and since I find my tone a bit too bassy I think I am going to put the same string as in my strat in this one, I have a few packs of strings I am going to change this when I will have some time.... I hate changing string gauge with a Floyd Rose type of guitar dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 30 2010, 02:13 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, it's like my cheap guitar that has bad pickups. They buzz. I want to replace the pickups. Yes, I know ZakkWylde here says it's crazy. But I'm still considering it. If I go for another guitar, then I'm rendering my cheap guitar useless. I just want it to sound pretty decent so I can play it better. Then I'll also replace the ones in my ibanez rg so I can get a better tone. Probably will put Dimarzos in it. But EMGs 81/85 in the cheap ibanez gio.

By the way, what is the difference between LTD and ESP? I notice some guitars have different names but they seem to be the same guitar. ???

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jun 30 2010, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 30 2010, 02:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 30 2010, 03:13 AM) *
Yeah, it's like my cheap guitar that has bad pickups. They buzz. I want to replace the pickups. Yes, I know ZakkWylde here says it's crazy. But I'm still considering it. If I go for another guitar, then I'm rendering my cheap guitar useless. I just want it to sound pretty decent so I can play it better. Then I'll also replace the ones in my ibanez rg so I can get a better tone. Probably will put Dimarzos in it. But EMGs 81/85 in the cheap ibanez gio.

By the way, what is the difference between LTD and ESP? I notice some guitars have different names but they seem to be the same guitar. ???

LTP and ESP can be compared (in a way) to Epiphone and Les Paul. Cheaper versions, but still great guitars.

But as far as the EMG-HZ's go.. then i'm not a fan. I couldnt get a good sound out of them.
Tried a few guitars when searching for the Schecters, and tried a few ones equipped with HZ's.
Zack Wylde and the CoB boys might get great tones from them, but they sounded quite tame and muddy in my hands smile.gif

I would say it's worth putting in real EMG's if you like your guitar and plan to continue using it.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 30 2010, 03:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jun 29 2010, 09:38 PM) *
Zack Wylde and the CoB boys might get great tones from them, but they sounded quite tame and muddy in my hands smile.gif

I would say it's worth putting in real EMG's if you like your guitar and plan to continue using it.

I also find that it is muddy..... The problem with the pickups is that you can't try them before use so you can't really compared them.

And yes I am planing to keep this guitar for a long time I hope.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 30 2010, 02:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jun 29 2010, 10:38 PM) *
LTP and ESP can be compared (in a way) to Epiphone and Les Paul. Cheaper versions, but still great guitars.

But as far as the EMG-HZ's go.. then i'm not a fan. I couldnt get a good sound out of them.
Tried a few guitars when searching for the Schecters, and tried a few ones equipped with HZ's.

Agreed!
I think you cannot trust on Cob and Zack's Emg HZ, 'cause they can be using modified pick-ups.

in my case, I¡ve used the EMG hz and also the 81 and this last one is just great. about pinch harmonics per example, they work far better than the EMG hz.
I think, the LTD one, is a great guitar, there are best guitar of course, but you have not a unknown guitar or a bad-imitation or whatever.
I think you really improve your sound choosing the EMG 81.

as Zakk said above, there are many reasons that makes your sound poor.
another thing that helps a lot to get cool pinched harmonics are lower tunings.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 30 2010, 10:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Jun 30 2010, 09:29 AM) *
Agreed!
I think you cannot trust on Cob and Zack's Emg HZ, 'cause they can be using modified pick-ups.

in my case, I¡ve used the EMG hz and also the 81 and this last one is just great. about pinch harmonics per example, they work far better than the EMG hz.
I think, the LTD one, is a great guitar, there are best guitar of course, but you have not a unknown guitar or a bad-imitation or whatever.
I think you really improve your sound choosing the EMG 81.

as Zakk said above, there are many reasons that makes your sound poor.
another thing that helps a lot to get cool pinched harmonics are lower tunings.

Thanks for the info Lian this is what I was thinking..... and you are right about CoB pups.... I have seen on the EMG website that Alexi Laiho has is own signature EmG-HZ..... This is not what is in my guitar for sure...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 30 2010, 10:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
They don't use modified pickups Lian! Ok nowadays Alexi has a signature version of the HZ but that doesn't sound much diffrent from the original. Until he got the signature he recoded FIVE children of bodom records with the standard HZ humbucker.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 30 2010, 10:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 30 2010, 05:50 PM) *
They don't use modified pickups Lian! Ok nowadays Alexi has a signature version of the HZ but that doesn't sound much diffrent from the original. Until he got the signature he recoded FIVE children of bodom records with the standard HZ humbucker.

They are still 8 models of EMG-HZ. I don't think the one in LTD is there best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 30 2010, 10:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
You got the Hz-h4 set in your Esp - that is the original standard Set of EMG hz pickups. The other models were just added recently.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jun 30 2010, 11:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks ... I didn't even know the model that was in it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 1 2010, 01:02 AM
GMC:er
The good news is, you can always ad an EMG AFTERBURNER circuit later and get some more life out of the EMGhz you already have. It will add noise as it's adding 20 DB of gain, but it's much cheaper than adding new pickups and lets you get a LOT more gain our of your existing EMG Hz.

Todd

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jul 1 2010, 01:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Can you use the emg boost switch n the after burner w/ any pickups or does it have to be w/ emgs ???

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jul 1 2010, 01:14 PM
Learning Roadie
bump..

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 1 2010, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
No I don't think they work with othere pickups - the booster is battery powered after all!

Also I don't think the preamp boost or afterburner are really neccessary. All they do is increase the input volume which, in front of the amp, results in more gain and not in more volume. The same effect can be achieved with an overdrive pedal with the level turned up and the gain knob turned down (this results in less noise than with the emg boosts too!)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jul 1 2010, 01:29 PM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jul 1 2010, 01:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Zakk! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:14 PM