When To Stop?
Ryan
Jul 21 2007, 09:02 AM
GMC:er
Alright heres somewhat of a frequently asked question, but a bit different. I know when to stop if your hand actually starts to hurt. Like pain wise. Now tell me this. When do you stop of you have just been working out. You can feel it all tense, and worked out. Not in any pain at all. Just fell as if you actually worked it out. When do you stop. Is it like weightlifting?? I remember back in weight lifting Hang Cleaning like 200 lbs. (weak i know sad.gif im only 150 lbs), but we went until we literally couldnt hold the bar up anymore. At the end of training everyday. We couldnt even pick up a 45lb bar. So is it like this. You play with exercises, until you just cant play anymore?? Not until you can injure yourself though!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Layzer
Jul 21 2007, 09:21 AM
Correct me if im wrong but if your hands are very tired and you are trying to speed-pick over and over...you may start to play it slower. I think muscle memory in your hands plays more in development than actual strength...but strength IS also important, just not in the same way as weightlifting. The strength in playing is only enough to make yourself comfortable on the guitar so you may play passages at a good speed and build endurance from there. cool.gif

Plus if you are feeling very very worn out in your hands you may be playing to hard blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 21 2007, 10:16 AM
Lets go fishing!
Personally i feel if you hands start to feel achey and tired out just stop - your not going to benifit untill there rested again. I return to practice when i feel rested both in my hands and mentally, im pretty sure this is the best way to go! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 21 2007, 02:41 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yeah, weight lifing and guitar playing are doing different things.

In weights you lift untill your muscles physically fail - at this point they have been damaged a little which forces them to rebuild but stringer - that's fine for building muscle.

However, we don't want fingers like sausages for guitar playing! We need to build muscle memory so that every move is so familiar that we can do it at speed. I think playing until you get an ache is ok, it shows you have been working it, but stop before your fingers refuse to play more!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 21 2007, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 21 2007, 08:41 AM) *
Yeah, weight lifing and guitar playing are doing different things.

In weights you lift untill your muscles physically fail - at this point they have been damaged a little which forces them to rebuild but stringer - that's fine for building muscle.

However, we don't want fingers like sausages for guitar playing! We need to build muscle memory so that every move is so familiar that we can do it at speed. I think playing until you get an ache is ok, it shows you have been working it, but stop before your fingers refuse to play more!

Ok just checking to see what peoples opinon is on this!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 21 2007, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 21 2007, 05:16 AM) *
Personally i feel if you hands start to feel achey and tired out just stop - your not going to benifit untill there rested again. I return to practice when i feel rested both in my hands and mentally, im pretty sure this is the best way to go! smile.gif

thats wat I always do mattacuk. Usually my hands paek at apoint where they are totally relaxed and warmed up. From here after a whil we all feel strains and my hands actually sometimes feel better than they did before when I just rest them a little.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mer-V
Jul 21 2007, 11:26 PM
When I start playing my 'quality'o'playing' meter graduatelly rises from bad, to a little less bad, and eventually keeps steady at 'not that bad', this is after about and hour/and a half playing. Mostly after two hours (of straight playing that is, which rarely occurs) I'm at my best. Then, as my hands slowly start to get more tired, the meter suddenly starts rising even more, but since 'not that bad' is the best I'll ever get, it start to rise to 'sloppy'. After about three hours of straight playing my fingers start to become yoghurt and sway around the fretboard in an uncontrolled frenzy of scales and chords. Then, after about 5 hours playing the gage reads 'your neightbours ready their pitchforks and light the torches, RUN!'. So, somewhere around 5 hour of straight playing is about my maximum...

For real. Usually when I play to long I get sloppy and frustrated with myself and just put the guitar away for a little hour or so. Then, if I'm motivated enough, I'll pick it up again, otherwise I'll mostly start playing the next day or so.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 22 2007, 08:11 AM
Well i can play all day just jaming and practicing just some random lessons, but lately ive been more up to just strickly sticking to the exercises. Like the legato exerice by pavel, and his Alternate picking ones, and also Muris's. After about playing them non-stop for about 2 hours or so. I can feel a little tension in my playing, but yet i still play on. Al lthe way until I cant really do much at a decent speed, or anything atleast 100BPM. Then ill put my guitar for a little while, and hopefully wont sound worse when i pick it back up in 30 mins or so!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 23 2007, 04:59 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 22 2007, 03:11 AM) *
Well i can play all day just jaming and practicing just some random lessons, but lately ive been more up to just strickly sticking to the exercises. Like the legato exerice by pavel, and his Alternate picking ones, and also Muris's. After about playing them non-stop for about 2 hours or so. I can feel a little tension in my playing, but yet i still play on. Al lthe way until I cant really do much at a decent speed, or anything atleast 100BPM. Then ill put my guitar for a little while, and hopefully wont sound worse when i pick it back up in 30 mins or so!!

Yea those are great lesson for your AP and such.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Spartan
Jul 23 2007, 06:13 AM
Hey dude ..haven't read all the posts but I gotta say this...watch out for those hands
and take all ur time to warm them up...although i used to warm my hands by stretching
them under warm/hot water and doing the warm up ex.'s on the guitar..i've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome..as u can see in my sig i've stopped practicing and playing and i may have too go under
surgery so i'm living a nightmare right now...just wanted to let u know so that all of u guys take care
of ur hands smile.gif

This post has been edited by The Spartan: Jul 23 2007, 06:21 AM

--------------------

Practicing Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 4 at: (16th notes triplets)

89BPM 101BPM 110BPM 122BPM <-----Goal
86BPM 98BPM 107BPM 119BPM
83BPM 95BPM 104BPM 116BPM
80BPM 92BPM 101BPM 113BPM
77BPM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:30 PM