2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bushido: Penta - Shred
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 02:13 PM
Instructor
In a dark corner in The Temple of Guitar Bushido, I found something. It had been hidden for a while and had gathered some dust and cobwebs. However, it contained valuable learning material for it was Pentatonic Shred Licks, which I shall now call Penta-Shred !

What am I talking about ? Well, I want this thread to be a study of any licks that are pentatonic based.. think of it as the same kind of thing as the Legato Nemesis thread here

I was inspired by last night's live video chat to record a couple of licks that I was showing a member, Sean, to help him tame his picking when using Pentatonic licks. So, here they are !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RD5rsG1TDA...eature=youtu.be

I want you, the disciples, to record your own versions of this lick.. any speed ! Now, unleash the Penta-Shred !! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 6 2012, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
You're great at making these kinda stories Ben wink.gif smile.gif laugh.gif

I'll upload my version soon

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 6 2012, 03:00 PM) *
You're great at making these kinda stories Ben wink.gif smile.gif laugh.gif

I'll upload my version soon

I look forward to it, Yash ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jun 6 2012, 06:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So much to learn and practice, so little time!

Arhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 06:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jun 6 2012, 06:11 PM) *
So much to learn and practice, so little time!

Arhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

biggrin.gif

In Temple, we bend time !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 6 2012, 06:44 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Steel Penta!!

I'll use this to get back to guitar practice...weather is supposed to be bad these next few days, so there is a realistic chance for me biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 09:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 6 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Steel Penta!!

I'll use this to get back to guitar practice...weather is supposed to be bad these next few days, so there is a realistic chance for me biggrin.gif

Yes, haha ! If it rains you can't put your shorts on and go chasing the girls !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 7 2012, 02:52 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I was watching inception last night. Can't we go into that sleep mode, practice for years and then wake up. It will merely be minutes in real life and you are a maestro. biggrin.gif Its very difficult to do 2nps as I never sort of practiced this. Only 3nps. I have encountered this lick before but can't do fast. Will post my take soon. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 7 2012, 06:12 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 7 2012, 07:22 AM) *
I was watching inception last night. Can't we go into that sleep mode, practice for years and then wake up. It will merely be minutes in real life and you are a maestro. biggrin.gif Its very difficult to do 2nps as I never sort of practiced this. Only 3nps. I have encountered this lick before but can't do fast. Will post my take soon. smile.gif

laugh.gif Yes, wish we could do that. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 7 2012, 10:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 7 2012, 02:52 AM) *

I haven't seen the film yet but it sounds like a good way to gain guitar skills ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 7 2012, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 7 2012, 03:16 PM) *
I haven't seen the film yet but it sounds like a good way to gain guitar skills ! wink.gif

Watch it man. You'll like it, if you understand what's going on. Really nice one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 7 2012, 10:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 7 2012, 10:53 AM) *
Watch it man. You'll like it, if you understand what's going on. Really nice one.

Yeah, it looks good... I don't go to the cinema these days so I have to wait until they're on dvd.. and at a lowered price ! wink.gif

When I can afford it, I'll go on a small spree and get some dvds I've wanted to watch for a long time !

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 8 2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Heres my take.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 12:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 8 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Heres my take.

Sounding good C-man !! smile.gif

Anybody else started rockin' these licks yet ?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 8 2012, 05:47 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 11:45 AM) *
Sounding good C-man !! smile.gif

Anybody else started rockin' these licks yet ?

Yeah man! I'll post something soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 8 2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben. smile.gif I am practicing this. In fact I was practicing a lesson and it has similar lick. Need to really improve my 2nps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 5 2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor
Disciples of the Axe... I have another present for you !

Here is a cheeky little lick that uses a small economy picking motion. It's a 4 note sequence that only requires 2 fingers to play it. The first note is picked with a down stroke, the next 2 are played with a continuous upstroke and the last note is sounded by a pull off. Then repeat. Easy !

So, you are only picking 3 of the notes.. the last is just a pull off.

Attached File  Penta_Shred_Lick_2.mp3 ( 335.1K ) Number of downloads: 127

Attached Image

Attached File  Penta_Shred_Lick_2.gp5 ( 1.98K ) Number of downloads: 115

You can move it all over the neck.. you can apply any pentatonic box patterns to it (and non pentatonic if you want to take it further..)

Enjoy !

Let me hear some of your takes biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 6 2012, 04:31 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Glad to see Penta-shred back in action. This is a tricky one with the economy pick motion. I'm starting to get it, I think. I'll post a video soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 6 2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 6 2012, 04:31 AM) *
Glad to see Penta-shred back in action. This is a tricky one with the economy pick motion. I'm starting to get it, I think. I'll post a video soon!

Excellent-ay ! I would have made a short video of the lick but I didn't get the time.. but I think you guys understand how it's meant to be played with all the description, tab, Gpro, mp3 etc.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 6 2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Here my take:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:12 AM