7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Matt23's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Matt23
Oct 3 2009, 01:32 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's my first attempt. smile.gif

Attached File  Chors_Tone_II_V_I_Solo.mp3 ( 539.26K ) Number of downloads: 85

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Nice 1st take Matt. I like that you were thinking of repetition and different endings. However, when working on chord tone soloing I want you to go through whole guitar neck and do some linear sort of playing (play through the guitar neck from lowest to highest point). Does that make sense?
Keep up the good work and do more choruses (do whole backing track in fact!).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 3 2009, 01:40 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok I'll try and use more of the neck. One question though, am I supposed to be improvising these solos?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Yes Matt. Intention is not to compose but to improvise and do melodies in real time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 3 2009, 01:50 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Oh ok, I'll improvise my next take.

Ok, here's my first attempt at an improv.

Attached File  Chors_Tone_II_V_I_Solo__2_.mp3 ( 538.85K ) Number of downloads: 91

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2009, 07:46 PM
Instructor
Improvising needs more work. I want you to listen to this take and see how I approached it as easy soloing approach (roots, roots and 3rds, roots 3rds 5ths, roots 3rds 5ths and 7ths).

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Chord_tones_for_II_V_I.mp3 ( 851.43K ) Number of downloads: 71

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 3 2009, 08:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Could you maybe say how you approached your solo in a few more words, and say why mine wasn't good, so I know exactly what I need to improve about my improvising, and how to do it? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2009, 10:05 PM
Instructor
Matt my solo was done using simple approach and ideas.

1st chorus - soloing with just Roots
2nd chorus - soloing with Roots and 3rds
3rd chorus - soloing with Roots 3rds and 5ths
4th chorus - soloing with Roots 3rds 5ths and 7ths

I tried to cover as many octaves as possible when doing this type of approach. This makes sure that you really think where the notes are. Also, this approach helps you gradually learn chord tones from any given chord!

So for Emin7 A7 Dmaj7 , roots are E A D, roots and 3rds are E G A C# D F# etc

Your solo could be improved in many ways. For starters I think you need to do this approach first as it will help you see where all the chord tones are, then you can start being creative with it as much as you want wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 3 2009, 10:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok, I'll try that approach. smile.gif One question though, does "chord tones" mean playing notes of all the chords in the progression at anytime, or does it mean playing just the notes of the chord that you are soloing over at the time. I'm nearly certain it's the second one but I just want to make sure.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Oct 3 2009, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2009, 11:22 PM
Instructor
It applies to the second approach you mentioned Matt, you were right smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 4 2009, 09:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I had a go at a solo today following your approach, but I just couldn't think fast enough and I kept hitting wrong notes. I'll keep going at it and I'll try and upload something tomorrow, but I wondered if you had anymore tips?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 4 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Sure thing Matt. Try to figure out the notes first before playing them. So roots are E A and D. Find those notes on the neck and shapes (interval jumps in between them). If you memorize that, then next chorus you will just add some sort of 3rd to these notes, then 5ths etc So you will keep building over and over until you get full 4 note arpeggio sound.
I could send you slower backing track, that could help as well smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 5 2009, 08:35 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok, i'll try that. And yeh I think a slower backing might help but i can get it on the lesson.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 6 2009, 12:23 AM
Instructor
I can upload it for you here if you want me to?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 6 2009, 11:12 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok. why not. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 6 2009, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Here you go Matt

Attached File(s)
Attached File  122_bpm.mp3 ( 738.37K ) Number of downloads: 60

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 6 2009, 11:43 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 6 2009, 11:47 AM
Instructor
Sure thing Matt.
Upload improvisations using chord tones and arpeggios by the end of this week (11th of October).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 6 2009, 12:27 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I had a go with the slower backing and it really helped, so here's my first upload at full speed. It's quite simple, so I'll try to make it more interesting, but if you could tell me if I'm on the right track then that'd be great.

Attached File  Chord_Tone_II_V_I_Solo__3_.mp3 ( 539.11K ) Number of downloads: 80

Here's a solo I did at the slower speed which is a bit more complex.
Attached File  Chord_Tone_II_V_I_Solo___Slow.mp3 ( 606.66K ) Number of downloads: 77

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 6 2009, 01:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Also Pedja, I was reading this article on Wikipedia about Coltrane Changes. I think I understand everything up to the examples of Coltrane Changes, but the examples don't seem to make sense. I was wondering if you could have a go at explaining them to me?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:02 PM