Atomic Audio Amplifire Pedal, AXE FX Killer?
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2015, 07:32 PM
GMC:er
The ATOMIC AUDIO pedal called the AMPLIFIRE is a spiff thing. Is it an "AXE FX KILLER".
Attached Image

I think not. IT does pack a lot of power in to a small stomp but it lacks some of the key features that make the axe fx so cool. For example, you can't change the order of the "blocks" (fx/amps/etc.) in the editor. It's fixed as far as I can tell. If anyone knows different, please correct me on this.

If you want to try it out, you can do so for free by downloading the software version called STUDIO DEVIL which has the same sounds / engine as the amplifire, just in plugin form smile.gif I've tried it out and made some presets that you can even import in the DEMO version of the plugin. Here they are, just unzip and lick IMPORT.

Attached File  studiodeviltoddpresets.zip ( 11.47K ) Number of downloads: 289

The tones are very close to a real tube amp. It does low and mid gain tones very very well. Though not as well as the SCUFFHAM AMPS plugin IMHO which is a bit less fizzy and a bit more punchy IMHO.
You can download the demo plugin here.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/amp_modeler_pro/
Attached Image

Here is a demo of the pedal covering most of it's tonal range. The plugin is wads of fun and worth a try if you are considering getting one of these. They run about $600 US. It honestly sounds like a POD with better sound engine, better IR, etc. There is a software editor for the stomp as well. But again, it doesn't look like you can re-order the blocks which limits things a bit imho. Being able to change the order of FX is something I sorta require.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 8 2015, 08:05 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mertay
Aug 8 2015, 10:11 PM
When it was released (years ago), was like todays scuffham. Simple enough to start very fast, tailored nicely etc...while everyone was waiting it to be updated so the overall sound could be perfected, they came out with the hardware tongue.gif

And this was long ago, I have no idea why it took so long for production but it simply took too long. I'd guess hardware has advantages to software even if the code is same (simply translated) like heavy upsampling but to me its simply old tech. marketed as new...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2015, 01:08 AM
I agree smile.gif The limitations of the original software are now imposed on the hardware. E.G. The fixed blocks for tone/fx/processing etc. There's just no excuse for that IMHO. It does have a good sound, but it does sound a pinch dated though. Reminds me of processing tech from a few years back.

However, for some folks I"m sure it's perfect as it's an entire rig in a box with good IR cab support for way less than the competition. I'd see it for folks who don't need really high gain stuff. OLA ENGLUND did a high gain demo with it and it sounds good in a mix smile.gif But nearly everything he demos sounds good in a mix so that doesn't mean to much.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 8 2015, 05:11 PM) *
When it was released (years ago), was like todays scuffham. Simple enough to start very fast, tailored nicely etc...while everyone was waiting it to be updated so the overall sound could be perfected, they came out with the hardware tongue.gif

And this was long ago, I have no idea why it took so long for production but it simply took too long. I'd guess hardware has advantages to software even if the code is same (simply translated) like heavy upsampling but to me its simply old tech. marketed as new...

+Quote Post
Blavod
Mar 10 2016, 10:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Guys! Anybody else tried this pedal? I am looking to update my modeling gear and the price+the size of the amplifire are a verryyyyy positive aspect! Sounds on youtube are quiet good and reviews are 95% positive, so whats your view on this piece of gear?

--------------------
Hell was full ... so I came Back!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 10 2016, 11:28 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I had one for a while. It's not in the same class as an AxeFX, but it's not intended to compete in that range. What it is: is the best amp modeler you can get for around $600. The amps sound great. You can load your own IR's (even a Helix lacks that). And if you're looking for something that has built-in footswitches, this is the ticket for you.

If you want more flexibility, digital output, and extensive effects, you'll have to step up to something more expensive like an AX8, but in the $600 price range right now, nothing can beat it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 10 2016, 11:53 PM
It's the hardware version of the STUDIO DEVIL plugin which you can download as a demo for free wink.gif It's got the same tones, same fx, same everything. The pedal is just the plugin burned on to a chip. So try the plugin first. If you like it, you'll probly like the pedal smile.gif Here is the link to get it.

http://www.studiodevil.com/home/index.php

I was impressed with plugin and pedal but for the price, you as well get a used 11 Rack imho. But then again I own an 11 Rack so I'm probably biased as my ears told me the 11 sounded a bit better. I HATE that I can't load custom IR in to the 11 rack though which is the only thing I fault it for. However, the included cabs are nice smile.gif

For less than $200 you can get a Line 6 pod HD bean which also a good option for the price. I bought one and I'm digging it so far. It doesn't sound as good as the 11 rack, but then it's far more portable and way cheaper. Put a line 6 control pedal with it for $100 includes a wah/volume pedal and bam you have everything you need.

Todd
QUOTE (Blavod @ Mar 10 2016, 04:49 PM) *
Guys! Anybody else tried this pedal? I am looking to update my modeling gear and the price+the size of the amplifire are a verryyyyy positive aspect! Sounds on youtube are quiet good and reviews are 95% positive, so whats your view on this piece of gear?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 10 2016, 11:58 PM

+Quote Post
Blavod
Mar 14 2016, 12:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
ok, well, Ampflifire is on the way! Thanks for your advice! The fact that it comes in a "pedal" format and is extremely portable is a major plus for me... I'll let you know how it sounds when i receive it (during the week, went through Anderton's).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2016, 03:08 PM
Instructor
This thread makes me think on one question,

what's the best plug in amp simulator nowadays in the market?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 14 2016, 04:22 PM
Experienced Rock Star
The best software amp modeling plugin? That's like asking "what's the best guitar amp?" smile.gif.

They all vary in terms of price, cpu usage, effects, user interface, factory presets, factory IRs, selection of amp models, fidelity of amp models and cabinet emulations, 3rd party IR support, level of detail when tweaking amp properties, remote control from midi pedals, etc. So "best" depends on which of those is most important to you. You may find your favorite amp sound is easier to dial in with one plugin than another.

When I use a plugin amp modeler instead of hardware, Overloud TH2 is the one that matches my needs best. Note I say TH2, not TH3. For various unfortunate reasons, IMHO TH3 is a step backwards from TH2. TH2 has a good selection of amps and I can get the heavy sound I frequently look for. The user interface fits with the way I work, so it's easy to get around.

+Quote Post
Blavod
Mar 14 2016, 08:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Guys, by the way, one observation: software developpers tend to although produce harware with their algorithms (the amplifire, 11 rack, bias head, even torpedo from two notes, etc), while i dont know any company doing the opposite, or am i wrong (no kemper or fractal plugins)? any idea why?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 14 2016, 09:15 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Two reasons.

First, piracy. Within days of the ilok2 crack that emerged in December, Fractal Audio cancelled their announced plans for a plugin.

Second, the specialized and dedicated processors found in units like the AxeFX can deliver better performance with lower latency than the generalized and shared processors found in desktop computers.

+Quote Post
Blavod
Mar 14 2016, 09:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes! These are good reasons indeed, but for example with piracy, the software developpers have the same problem no? And they still continue on creating new soft...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 14 2016, 10:25 PM
Experienced Rock Star
It's a big problem for software developers and it discourages a lot of people from creating software products we could all benefit from. Simply put, it generally does not make sense to move from a business which doesn't have that problem to a business which does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2016, 11:25 PM
It's a fine bit of kit, enjoy and share some samples!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Blavod @ Mar 14 2016, 06:03 AM) *
ok, well, Ampflifire is on the way! Thanks for your advice! The fact that it comes in a "pedal" format and is extremely portable is a major plus for me... I'll let you know how it sounds when i receive it (during the week, went through Anderton's).

IMHO Overloud TH3 (but TH2 is still AWESOME!!! and I still use it to dial in tones that I bring in to TH3. I like the bits they added like the harmonizer and some new amp models). Despite the way they have changed the interface to make it "more user friendly" I still think it's the most flexible and best sounding plugin out there overall smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2016, 09:08 AM) *
This thread makes me think on one question,

what's the best plug in amp simulator nowadays in the market?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 14 2016, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2016, 02:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 14 2016, 12:22 PM) *
The best software amp modeling plugin? That's like asking "what's the best guitar amp?" smile.gif.

They all vary in terms of price, cpu usage, effects, user interface, factory presets, factory IRs, selection of amp models, fidelity of amp models and cabinet emulations, 3rd party IR support, level of detail when tweaking amp properties, remote control from midi pedals, etc. So "best" depends on which of those is most important to you. You may find your favorite amp sound is easier to dial in with one plugin than another.

When I use a plugin amp modeler instead of hardware, Overloud TH2 is the one that matches my needs best. Note I say TH2, not TH3. For various unfortunate reasons, IMHO TH3 is a step backwards from TH2. TH2 has a good selection of amps and I can get the heavy sound I frequently look for. The user interface fits with the way I work, so it's easy to get around.

hehehe however I can say which is my favorite amp but not which is my favorite software, and I've tried lots. I think that the results are ok, but I'm not totally impressed yet, that's why I'm open to try new ones or hear everybody's opinions to give more chances to any over other one.

At this moment I'm using mostly poulin with impulses opened in Lecab. It's doing the job for me but I couldn't get tones close to what I've heard from Kemper or Fractal Axe yet, with software....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2016, 05:30 PM
The main problem with software plugins is that they require a LOT of clean signal to work well. You have to hit them hard to get them to really respond imho. But not TOO hard or they will distort the signal and you lose clarity. This is why I used to use the direct box to add +20 db to the input signal on my previous setups.

However, I"ve been able to stop that since starting using the iconnectivity4+. It has sooo much available headroom on each channel/preamp, that you can finally punch up the signal enough to really drive the software. With every other interface I needed the boost from the behringer.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 15 2016, 08:32 AM) *
hehehe however I can say which is my favorite amp but not which is my favorite software, and I've tried lots. I think that the results are ok, but I'm not totally impressed yet, that's why I'm open to try new ones or hear everybody's opinions to give more chances to any over other one.

At this moment I'm using mostly poulin with impulses opened in Lecab. It's doing the job for me but I couldn't get tones close to what I've heard from Kemper or Fractal Axe yet, with software....

+Quote Post
Blavod
Mar 22 2016, 10:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok guys, there it goes, already some hours playing with the Amplifire!

So, first impressions, playing with headphones (you know, neighbours... wife... ):

I was expecting something good, it began as being "so-so" and finally turned out being frankly amazing! The cleans/crunch and higain stuff i tried were all convincing. BUUUUTTT, yes there is a but, if you just try the presets that are loaded into the beast, you will be disapointed. Well at least i was disapointed. I think all manufacturers should try and load nice presets as it is usually the first impression a player has of the gear... but in this case i was not impressed. I have to say that the same happend when i tried the kemper of a friend (some already loaded presets were not impressive!), while at the end of the day the kemper is just a beast!

After downloading the preset editor and looking at tweaking the presets, i found out that most of the already installed presets are almost just "raw" amps with no effects, no eq, no comp, no gate...just the amp, with poor amps settings at that (a plexy with the master volume at 2??? really?). Then by changing the amps settings and adding a bit of eq, comp, fx, etc, the sound really came to life. Then i although loaded some IRs (including a free one from Redwirez of a marshall 1960A with Celestion G12M, worth a try!) and the sound reallllly improved! A good point is that in some minutes i was able to tune a few presets with a sound that really convinced me. And the eq capabilities of the Amplifire are quiet impressive (Graphiq EQ + 3 parametric blocks, each can be set as pre-effects or post-effects).

Some high gain amps are really impressive, such as the Friedman HBE or the 5150, these are some really serious sounding beasts! I have been playing with BIAS amp and BIAS fx for a while and i find that the 5150 of the amplifire sound more "organic" to me (but thats a matter of taste). The plexy and hotbrit amps are although convincing! Regarding crunch amps, the "dumble" setting is very appealing too, but needs some serious EQ depending on your guitar.

Other positive aspect: 4 outputs that you can configure, so i can send to the FOH the stereo signal with IR and at the same time 2 signals to amps on stage without IR. Nice! And the form factor...it fits inside my gig bag, weights 1kg, and has midi, configurable 3 switches, so i can go to rehearsal with just my gig bag, and thats priceless!!!!

Now the downpoints (for me!): the effects sections. The boost/OD section is good, while the effects are a bit light so far, not in terms of variability (i am not a huge FX user) but in terms of final results. Maybe i need more time to look into it, but for example the default reverbs settings are not convincing till now. I hope that with the DSP power of the amplifire they can add some great reverb algorithms in the future. Same with delays, i am still looking into it but its not so intuitive as i thought it will be.

Next GMC videos will be with the amplifire so i'll let you know when i upload them! Anybody else uses the amplifire?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2016, 05:08 PM
I've used the plugin version which is based on the same algorithms and I had the same thoughts on the reverbs/delays. It seemed almost like an after thought for them. It's good enough though it seemed,just not stellar fx section. The good news is that its' small enough to allow another unit on the pedal board for reverbs/delay like a TC electronics unit. I think the amplifire uses midi so you can add other bits like this guy.

QUOTE (Blavod @ Mar 22 2016, 04:21 AM) *
Ok guys, there it goes, already some hours playing with the Amplifire!

So, first impressions, playing with headphones (you know, neighbours... wife... ):

Next GMC videos will be with the amplifire so i'll let you know when i upload them! Anybody else uses the amplifire?

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 22 2016, 10:05 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Blavod @ Mar 22 2016, 09:21 AM) *
I hope that with the DSP power of the amplifire they can add some great reverb algorithms in the future. Same with delays...Anybody else uses the amplifire?

My impression when using it is the same as yours. Time will tell, but I suspect for $600 you're limited in the horsepower that's available for effects. If that's a dealbreaker, you might have to step up to something more expensive. OTOH, what it *can* do for $600 is amazing.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2016, 07:18 PM
I also suspect that it will require iLOK like pro tools does which is a bit of a pain. But honestly I do hope they someday come out with the axe fx plugin smile.gif They already have the editor in place in software, so it just needs the audio engine. With the speed of modern computers, it could run without the SHARK processors, but might be a bit of a HOG.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 22 2016, 04:05 PM) *
My impression when using it is the same as yours. Time will tell, but I suspect for $600 you're limited in the horsepower that's available for effects. If that's a dealbreaker, you might have to step up to something more expensive. OTOH, what it *can* do for $600 is amazing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:00 AM