3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
New Competition! :d, "How to improve GMC"
audiopaal
Mar 23 2010, 10:56 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
It's been foretold in the stars of old that I, The Competition King,
would bestow upon GMC a brand new COMPETITION!

And here it is:
HOW TO IMPROVE GMC COMPETITION!

Very simply we are looking for ideas to make GMC a better place!
We want members to come up with ideas - as many ideas per member as they like.
But here is the deal; we are not looking for hundreds of spammed out ideas,
quantity is not what we are looking for.

We will pay more attention to the ideas that have the following attributes:

- Simple
- Sensible
- Well thought out
- Well Expressed
- Easy to implement
- Big benefits to GMC members and Instructors

We will give extra credit for the presentation of ideas - any medium will do - a Wiki article, a Youtube video etc.
A one line suggestion in a post will carry far less weight than a well written Wiki article
or post that explains the idea and all of its merits and how it can be implemented.
A youtube video with graphics showing what new features might look like will knock it out of the park!

So, presentation is extremely important but not at the expense of it being a good idea in the first place.

Example 1:
1 line explaining the best idea ever to make GMC a better place.
Bad (not enough info, not well thought out or visualized)!

Example 2:
30 minute youtube video showing how GMC could run a moonshot.
Bad (the idea is impractical)

Example 3:
1000 word wiki article with graphics explaining a really cool new feature that is easy to implement but gives huge benefit.
Good! (Great idea well presented)

And now for the fun part...
THE PRIZES! biggrin.gif

1st. Prize:
FULLTONE OCD overdrive pedal

Attached Image

2nd. Price:
ELECTRO-HARMONIX Small Clone

Attached Image

3rd. Prize:
D'Addario EXL110 Pro Pack

Attached Image

No Cash or alternative prizes will be offered!

In terms of the competition itself:

- The competition will run for one month, and end April 22nd.
- Entries can be in posts, or contain links to the Wiki, Youtube or any other medium.
- Entries must be posted in the Upload thread (LINK!)
- At the competition close time, we will let the instructors pick the top 5 ideas
- The top 5 ideas will go to a vote to get 1st, 2nd 3rd
- Kris will comment on the winning ideas and give us all an idea of if/when we can put them into operation.

>> Submission thread here

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Mar 31 2010, 09:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 23 2010, 10:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great competition! Now I have to use my brain.... laugh.gif

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
zen
Mar 23 2010, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Incorporate SI lessons in REC to boost up that section a bit.

Each SI lesson would have a difficulty level and minor adjustments but those can be easy to implement.

(Don't know if it requires further explanation but I'm happy to present it in detail, if required ... It would pretty much follow the instructor lesson format)

Advantages - An incentive to share more with the community and develop teaching skills (more lessons = WIN). Some subscription related discounts can also be implemented to boost up the interest and keep advanced players from leaving the site. Will give members incentive to learn these lessons as they can then be graded on it and improve their REC rankings (for those who do it).

This post has been edited by zen: Mar 23 2010, 11:12 PM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 23 2010, 11:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
That is the best competition idea I have ever seen!

I think I might have a quite usefull idea, I will think it through if it works out...

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Mar 23 2010, 11:33 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 23 2010, 11:55 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Mar 23 2010, 11:45 PM) *
Seems like a pretty impossible task but ill give it a shot. just one question does the idea have to plausible? (is it likely to actually happen and be implemented) or does it just have to be a awesome idea and you have to elaborate more on it.

Yes, it has to be plausible (if you want to win) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 24 2010, 12:19 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Great competition idea! cool.gif

I'll be glad to help anyone who wishes to use the wiki for either presenting or actually making their idea possible.

If you have an idea the wiki might be part of the answer or the ideal place to "hold" the project and keep it updated. Never understimate the power of our knowledge base! smile.gif

As I said, I'll be glad to help anyone involved in this competition wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2010, 08:49 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Mar 23 2010, 11:45 PM) *
just one question does the idea have to plausible? (is it likely to actually happen and be implemented) or does it just have to be a awesome idea and you have to elaborate more on it.

Let me put it like this - good ideas are almost guaranteed to actually happen/be implemented. You guys know better than anyone else what the site needs, so give it your best shot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Mar 24 2010, 09:09 AM
GMC:er
Hi there!
Might sound dumb, but I would certainly add a "THEORY CATEGORY" to the GUITAR LESSONS.
(Intervals, Arpeggios, Scales, Chord construction, Inversions, Substitutions, etc.)

Cheers, Eddie

PS: Maybe with a link to Andrew's Theory Board in case there's no spoken explanation...

This post has been edited by eddiecat: Mar 24 2010, 09:22 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 24 2010, 09:26 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
What a great idea for a competition! I have two ideas right now, but I will have to use my brain and it usually takes some time to warm up laugh.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 24 2010, 10:21 AM
The upload thread is LIVE!

You can find it HERE!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 24 2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
This one is great and everybody must have some idea playing around their mind. smile.gif

Okay, I will take the bad example example but just wanted to throwit out here.

IDEA #1: From what I have seen from other 'popular' websites, they bring in guests as to some 'popular' figure to do some free lessons and some paid lessons. I would vote to go that route as well if possible. The fact is, if some popular name is mentioned on GMC and has a lesson, there is going to be huge traffic. Its like putting a sexy hot girl than some guy on the video thumbnail in YouTube. biggrin.gif Then we can turn this traffic to becoming members to get the paid lessons. Then we can continuously have some other popular figure on a 6-month basis at most. This might be costly but definitely will attract more members. And you know what more members mean... smile.gif

IDEA #2: Have a slot for people producing backing tracks. GMC has been a great place to learn and practice but its too limited to practicing mostly the lessons. But if someone wants to practice popular songs, people should be able to produce backing tracks and give away for free (Creative Commons or something). This will again hit the traffic but I am not sure about legal issues here.

IDEA #3: Clinics. Both physically and on the web. Better if we can do physical clinics and broadcast them LIVE or recorded. Physical interaction is always good. But this might be expensive to organize.

There you go. I don't want to make this a competition entry but more of discussion. If someone else agrees, please share your views. Together we can make it better. smile.gif

Thanks,
maharzan

This post has been edited by maharzan: Mar 24 2010, 10:30 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Mandos
Mar 24 2010, 10:41 AM
GMC:er
Great idea. Might have an idea or two floating around the think tank.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 24 2010, 10:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
What I really miss here on GMC is a Guitar/Bass tuner to be used in conjunction with the lessons. I will develop one in FLASH and post it in the upload thread, hopefully with some cool design.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2010, 11:12 AM
GMC Founder
Some great ideas already!

Feel free to do like maharzan and Eddie if you just want to share general ideas without necessarily submitting them as a competition entry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 24 2010, 11:24 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
So, I just submitted an idea to the upload thread. Another short one:
How about posting links to the singing, bass and other lesson on the main page, since now you have to search them manually. Just a short link saying "Other lessons" or so would do.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 24 2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
GMC, send in some free T-Shirts so we can wear on our takes. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2010, 11:45 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 24 2010, 11:24 AM) *
How about posting links to the singing, bass and other lesson on the main page, since now you have to search them manually. Just a short link saying "Other lessons" or so would do.

True - we should have that as well as a "see more guitar lessons" link there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 24 2010, 11:46 AM
Many good ideas already, but please be sure to post them in the upload thread as well smile.gif
If not, they won't be taken into consideration!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2010, 11:47 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (maharzan @ Mar 24 2010, 11:35 AM) *
GMC, send in some free T-Shirts so we can wear on our takes. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Now that's a breathtaking idea! tongue.gif

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 24 2010, 11:46 AM) *
Many good ideas already, but please be sure to post them in the upload thread as well smile.gif
If not, they won't be taken into consideration!

That's right - ideas in this thread are just for brainstorming, and won't count in the competition (but brainstorming is cool as well).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 24 2010, 12:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
I am definitely for Staffy's online tuner idea! It's weird that we don't have one already!?!

I am currently writing an article about my idea, I will post it in the idea thread tonight.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:05 PM