7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gmc Holiday Collab!, Let's have some fun making music!
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 9 2019, 07:37 AM
Post #101

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 8 2019, 09:04 PM) *
and Kris is learning the art of restraint wink.gif

Credit goes to Gab!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 9 2019, 08:13 AM
Post #102

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Your playing was incredible Kris and please don't take offence from me commenting, I know I'm not really a good player so shouldn't really critique you but I have watched you develop a hell of a lot since I joined GMC, I used to joke with you on the Sunday afternoon chat about restraining yourself, you hadn't used to be able to do it, you was always like a greyhound out of the gate, very very tasty shredding but you struggled to hold back, now you can do it. Nice one buddy.

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 9 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #103

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2019, 11:00 PM) *
WOW!!! Best Xmas Jam Ever IMHO!! This had to be a monster of a tune to put together. Honestly, you create miracles with these. Getting everyone's solo to match, to sound like it is all part of the same song, to transition smoothly, to work as a cogent piece of music instead of just a string out of everyone's solo, it's just amazing. It takes enormous talent to put something like this together. Having the ear to slot everything in just perfectly and have it all work is something that is beyond difficult. Well done.
Super well done to everyone on their solos as well!! It all works. It sounds intentional. It works as a piece of music instead of just being a series of solos. SUPER CONGRATS EVERYONE!! Especially BEN for the Killer Vocal track!!!

Might be my first collab ever where I'm on a clean channel and not shredding. One for the books!Todd

Thanks for your comment Todd! I love your submit for this one. The first part is more like an arrangement which is always necessary in this type of collabs, and the second a very tasty and simple solo that interacted amazingly well with Phil's solo. That answer and question part at the end done by you both is one of my favourite.

THIS POST IS FOR EVERYBODY HERE:

On a side note, I had to take some decisions when doing this one and I would like to know your opinion about each of these things so it helps me as feedback for the next collabs.

- I've tried to combineand edit takes the less possible. I've tried to respect the discourse of your solos.

- I had to cut a bit some of the longer solos to avoid making this one too long. However, there are really amazing bits of music that are not on this one. For example, Kris solo was around 4 minutes (I think) and all parts were brilliant. Some others have been cut as well. What do you think? Would you like to see even longer tracks with longer solos or the current structure is nice to hear?

- Cael's lyrics were around 2 or 3 times longer. Once again, I felt bad cutting some sections, but I was thinking that maybe the overall tune would be easier to watch until the end with the current structure.

- As we had a lot of material, I only recorded myself playing rhythm guitar and a very short lick.

Let me know your thoughts about all this since it helps me to keep on improving our collabs! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 9 2019, 03:40 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 9 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #104

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

I really enjoyed your mix, Gabriel. I knew from the start that I had written lyrics and performed something that was around 4 minutes long and that not all of it would be included. In all honesty it was maybe 2 hours of work in total at most, so I did not feel bad about it. It's a community project and we give some and we take some.

Maybe it could be interesting to make a topic/post/youtube playlist with all the individual files/videos available for both us and outsiders. That also gives an even better perspective on what goes into this smile.gif

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 9 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #105

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 9 2019, 11:47 AM) *
Maybe it could be interesting to make a topic/post/youtube playlist with all the individual files/videos available for both us and outsiders. That also gives an even better perspective on what goes into this smile.gif

I like this idea. anybody else? The only problem is that note all the students uploaded the take to youtube, and maybe, if they did it but then deleted, the playlist becomes incomplete.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jan 9 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #106

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

I find this format to be MUCH more enjoyable to listen to overall. Personally, I find it more satisfying to hear my part cut and fit better with the context of the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 9 2019, 04:54 PM
Post #107

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 9 2019, 03:00 PM) *
I like this idea. anybody else? The only problem is that note all the students uploaded the take to youtube, and maybe, if they did it but then deleted, the playlist becomes incomplete.

Maybe the individual videos could be uploaded to the GMC channel so that they don't get deleted?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 9 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #108

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jan 9 2019, 12:15 PM) *
I find this format to be MUCH more enjoyable to listen to overall. Personally, I find it more satisfying to hear my part cut and fit better with the context of the song.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Jan 9 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #109

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 23.212

Great collab guys, everyone's playing was ace and seemed to fit the song perfectly.
Extra thanks to Gab for sorting it all out with the backing track, mixing and the editing that went into this great finished project.

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 9 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #110

I have no problem with only parts or even one part of my solo being used as long as it serves the song that's all that matters to me.

Better to keep people wanting more than getting too much wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 9 2019, 11:57 PM
Post #111

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jan 9 2019, 06:15 PM) *
Great collab guys, everyone's playing was ace and seemed to fit the song perfectly.
Extra thanks to Gab for sorting it all out with the backing track, mixing and the editing that went into this great finished project.

Thanks for your comment and congrats on your amazing take mate! Cool use of Whammy bar! I can get some Vai vibes in your solo. Well done!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2019, 07:30 PM) *
I have no problem with only parts or even one part of my solo being used as long as it serves the song that's all that matters to me.

Better to keep people wanting more than getting too much wink.gif

Thanks for your feedback Phil!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 10 2019, 07:42 AM
Post #112

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

About the collab format -

I think a well edited/arranged format with just a selection of each take is usually much more pleasing on the ears - I can listen to it many more times.

However an "uncut" arrangement is good for progress I think, because there's lots of power in recording yourself and sharing with the world. When sharing, you tend to listen and analyse your playing with a different perspective, which is great for progress. Also, if you are lucky you can get some constructive feedback.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2019, 08:13 AM) *
Your playing was incredible Kris and please don't take offence from me commenting, I know I'm not really a good player so shouldn't really critique you but I have watched you develop a hell of a lot since I joined GMC, I used to joke with you on the Sunday afternoon chat about restraining yourself, you hadn't used to be able to do it, you was always like a greyhound out of the gate, very very tasty shredding but you struggled to hold back, now you can do it. Nice one buddy.

No offence taken mate, you know I appreciate all feedback - especially praise like this wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 10 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #113

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 10 2019, 07:42 AM) *
No offence taken mate, you know I appreciate all feedback - especially praise like this wub.gif

The guitar just isn't for you, Kris. I'm sorry to say. You may find more joy in playing the triangle or kazoo. laugh.gif

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 10 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #114

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 10 2019, 03:42 AM) *
About the collab format -

I think a well edited/arranged format with just a selection of each take is usually much more pleasing on the ears - I can listen to it many more times.

However an "uncut" arrangement is good for progress I think, because there's lots of power in recording yourself and sharing with the world. When sharing, you tend to listen and analyse your playing with a different perspective, which is great for progress. Also, if you are lucky you can get some constructive feedback.

Good points here! Thanks for the feedback Kris!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 10 2019, 02:20 PM
Post #115

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 23.329

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 10 2019, 07:42 AM) *

I couldn't agree more! Watching the recorded vids can be really embarrassing but it's also a great way to improve. Much better than pretending the problem doesn't exist. It's like avoiding the weighing machine knowing it would show you bad results that mean you should lose some weight. And believe me, I know a lot about it laugh.gif

I've made some solid progress lately (since joining GMC). I learned a lot and eliminated some bad habits already thanks to your feedback. But I'm also watching my old videos and I found a few things on my own that need improving (like learning to stress the right notes).

It's hard to say how much I'll improve over this year but I'll give it my best to submit better stuff for the next Christmas! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 10 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #116

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 10 2019, 10:20 AM) *
I couldn't agree more! Watching the recorded vids can be really embarrassing but it's also a great way to improve. Much better than pretending the problem doesn't exist. It's like avoiding the weighing machine knowing it would show you bad results that mean you should lose some weight. And believe me, I know a lot about it laugh.gif

I've made some solid progress lately (since joining GMC). I learned a lot and eliminated some bad habits already thanks to your feedback. But I'm also watching my old videos and I found a few things on my own that need improving (like learning to stress the right notes).

It's hard to say how much I'll improve over this year but I'll give it my best to submit better stuff for the next Christmas! wink.gif

Thanks Adam! You are doing a killer job at GMC!! I can suspect that you'll evolve a lot for the next Christmas. )

I've just shared this one at my facebook but I couldn't tag all participants because I don't know your facebook names.

Check it out! The more comments, the more of my friends will see it!

https://www.facebook.com/gabrielleopardi

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 10 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #117

Ben, 3:33-3:34 that's Roger Waters right there wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 11 2019, 01:20 AM
Post #118

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Personally, I think you did an amazing job deciding what to keep and what to cut. Only a musician can make these kinds of cuts IMHO and make them well. I've heard/seen many collab vids on youtube that could have used a better job on the edit. If one doesn't keep the song moving, it all falls apart. IT's similar to editing a movie/tv show. Every edit should move the story forward. I'm sure we have all seen very bad tv/movies that could have used a pair of scissors.

Deciding what to cut is just as important as deciding what to include. Just like a guitar solo is made worse/better by the notes left out just as with the notes left in.
We could not ask for a better editor. You know everybody involved and you know all of our playing styles. So you know where to put what in order to match it best with the backing and yield a great musical experience.
Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 9 2019, 10:39 AM) *
Thanks for your comment Todd! I love your submit for this one. The first part is more like an arrangement which is always necessary in this type of collabs, and the second a very tasty and simple solo that interacted amazingly well with Phil's solo. That answer and question part at the end done by you both is one of my f

THIS POST IS FOR EVERYBODY HERE:

On a side note, I had to take some decisions when doing this one and I would like to know your opinion about each of these things so it helps me as feedback for the next collabs.

- I've tried to combineand edit takes the less possible. I've tried to respect the discourse of your solos.

- I had to cut a bit some of the longer solos to avoid making this one too long. However, there are really amazing bits of music that are not on this one. For example, Kris solo was around 4 minutes (I think) and all parts were brilliant. Some others have been cut as well. What do you think? Would you like to see even longer tracks with longer solos or the current structure is nice to hear?

- Cael's lyrics were around 2 or 3 times longer. Once again, I felt bad cutting some sections, but I was thinking that maybe the overall tune would be easier to watch until the end with the current structure.

- As we had a lot of material, I only recorded myself playing rhythm guitar and a very short lick.

Let me know your thoughts about all this since it helps me to keep on improving our collabs! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 11 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #119

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2019, 12:20 AM) *
Personally, I think you did an amazing job deciding what to keep and what to cut. Only a musician can make these kinds of cuts IMHO and make them well. I've heard/seen many collab vids on youtube that could have used a better job on the edit. If one doesn't keep the song moving, it all falls apart. IT's similar to editing a movie/tv show. Every edit should move the story forward. I'm sure we have all seen very bad tv/movies that could have used a pair of scissors.

Deciding what to cut is just as important as deciding what to include. Just like a guitar solo is made worse/better by the notes left out just as with the notes left in.
We could not ask for a better editor. You know everybody involved and you know all of our playing styles. So you know where to put what in order to match it best with the backing and yield a great musical experience.
Todd

+1 on that wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 11 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #120

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 10 2019, 02:20 PM) *

Awesome feedback Adam, keep doing what you do!! cool.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 10 2019, 10:28 AM) *
The guitar just isn't for you, Kris. I'm sorry to say. You may find more joy in playing the triangle or kazoo. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2019 - 12:20 AM