How To Record Guitar With Exact Timing
Koseydon
Mar 7 2014, 06:57 PM
GMC:er
hi,

it has been so long since i write here (and it was with another account i beleive). i hope everybody is ok and doing great things.

now about my question:

recently i saw a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9VhozNHNk

his timing just blow my mind. i mean everytime i try to record and loop something there is a little disposition at start. i know it may be because of my latency but rather that how can i reach that level? is there any exercise to do that?

thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2014, 07:45 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - what sort of gear do you have? It may be that you need to adjust the settings to get rid of latency - otherwise, there's no exercise that can get rid of latency. It's a technical issue that is solved by tweaking settings not by exercising smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Koseydon
Mar 7 2014, 07:55 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 7 2014, 06:45 PM) *
Hey mate - what sort of gear do you have? It may be that you need to adjust the settings to get rid of latency - otherwise, there's no exercise that can get rid of latency. It's a technical issue that is solved by tweaking settings not by exercising smile.gif

hi Cosmin,

well i have a Line 6 POD UX1 sound card, and i use cubase 5 my guitar is japan fender standard stratocaster. i know that im not so good at timing. but also i don't think it is all about my gear :/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2014, 01:47 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, you shouldn't have latency issues with that gear. Are you sure that you are using pod's drivers?
Maybe you could try using asio4all driver. If you have latency, I can say that it's impossible to play tight. It is very confusing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2014, 07:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 8 2014, 12:47 AM) *
Hi mate, you shouldn't have latency issues with that gear. Are you sure that you are using pod's drivers?
Maybe you could try using asio4all driver. If you have latency, I can say that it's impossible to play tight. It is very confusing.

I'm with Gabi here - if you have latency, you simply can't be able to play in good timing - to have good timing in the case of latency you would have to play faster, so that you may be ahead of the timing but actually with it in respect to the latency, which is pretty much impossible... I'm sure there's a setting there, which will take care of latency wink.gif Try Gabi's suggestions and see what happens.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 8 2014, 10:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
How much latency is acceptable? I think I'm getting around 20 ms, depending on settings. I'm not home right now, so cannot check it though.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Mar 8 2014, 12:24 PM
Even real tube-amps have latency. When recording put your buffersize down(~128-196samplesize gives me about 9.3ms input latency(13.3 output latency).

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
dcz702
Mar 8 2014, 12:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Koseydon @ Mar 7 2014, 05:57 PM) *
hi,

it has been so long since i write here (and it was with another account i beleive). i hope everybody is ok and doing great things.

now about my question:

recently i saw a video:

his timing just blow my mind. i mean everytime i try to record and loop something there is a little disposition at start. i know it may be because of my latency but rather that how can i reach that level? is there any exercise to do that?

thank you

i enjoyed this video especially his disscusion on double tracking. the video didnt have anything to do with your latency issue, maybe you were just trying to say how do you get your set up working like the guy in the video?
maybe take a look at your softwares minumum requirments and make sure you at the very least meet them, look at the cpu and ram, you can find minimum requirments somewhere in the info for your software. its better not to have the minimum, but give your system some more headroom. then make sure you are using the latest and correct drivers for your audio interface, i also keep my system clean and free of old files i dont need anymore, or at least keep them on a external hard drive, i heard somewhere when you hard drive gets full things can start going haywire on your system, but dont really know for sure, keep it freed up as much as possible anyway, acttually all my audio goes to a external drive with my programs all installed on my main drive. when you start recording your gonna want a good size external. hope you work it out Lag sucks and makes it almost impossible to record.

+Quote Post
Koseydon
Mar 8 2014, 01:12 PM
thank you for all your replies

but i still don't think it is because of my system. Here is an example of my recording:

If it is because of my gear's latency it should start slightly back from drums' track right? but instead, as you can see, it starts before from drums.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 8 2014, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
first tell us , do you have latency issues. With recording monitor on, how long does it take for you to hear the note , when you strike it on your guitar, about as long as you would an amp(as Verc brought up ) or can you get a second note off before you hear the first one

If you don't have latency , may I suggest cutting and sliding the track over and play along until you have your timing, and then record

If it's latency, this will be in the control panel for UX1

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Mar 8 2014, 03:16 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 8 2014, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
True stuff here. I have the UX2 and use the ASIO4All driver and get low latency. I was using Pod Farm as a plugin inside my DAW but found there was too much latency. I decided to monitor with the standalone program for tighter monitoring, then muted the track monitoring, set to record dry in. You can do this by using Send 3 output from Pod Farm. If you have a beefy computer then set the buffer settings of Pod Farm to extra small. Misha, in the video, is actually hearing his amp as he explained. I find myself scooting the tracks a few milliseconds over in tighter sections.

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Mar 8 2014, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Mar 8 2014, 04:23 PM) *
I find myself scooting the tracks a few milliseconds over in tighter sections.

That makes a lot of sense since Asio4all will give you about 40ms at best, which is a bit steep without post-recording correction.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2014, 07:32 PM
Are you asking how to play better or how to record better? Or both smile.gif Your question seems to start asking about latency then switches to asking about what to play to get better? The good news is we are here to help on both!! smile.gif Bit more detail maybe?

Your screen grab shows that you started playing a bit early it seems? Or are you saying that you played on time and it recorded early? Sorry, a bit confounded smile.gif

QUOTE (Koseydon @ Mar 7 2014, 12:57 PM) *
hi,

now about my question:

recently i saw a video:

thank you

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 8 2014, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post
Koseydon
Mar 8 2014, 08:19 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 8 2014, 06:32 PM) *
Are you asking how to play better or how to record better? Or both smile.gif Your question seems to start asking about latency then switches to asking about what to play to get better? The good news is we are here to help on both!! smile.gif Bit more detail maybe?

Your screen grab shows that you started playing a bit early it seems? Or are you saying that you played on time and it recorded early? Sorry, a bit confounded smile.gif

i am very, very sorry if i wasn't clear enough smile.gif i think problem is with my playing. i recorded myself with other (better) systems. result was same. i know that i don't have to play like robot about timing but i guess when it comes to recording i think i should :/ as you can see at video, i also tring to record 2 or 4 channel of same track and it is very difficult to me since my timing is not so perfect sad.gif

thanks to all of you for your help and support smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 8 2014, 09:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Koseydon @ Mar 8 2014, 08:19 PM) *
i am very, very sorry if i wasn't clear enough smile.gif i think problem is with my playing. i recorded myself with other (better) systems. result was same. i know that i don't have to play like robot about timing but i guess when it comes to recording i think i should :/ as you can see at video, i also tring to record 2 or 4 channel of same track and it is very difficult to me since my timing is not so perfect sad.gif

cut and move your tracks till they are in time, and then practice with them until you have developed your own timing

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 8 2014, 09:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Koseydon @ Mar 8 2014, 08:19 PM) *

Well, if you have problems with playing in time in general , then the first thing you should do is: practice with a metronome:

So here I have some tips that work great to improve your timing:
1. Set BPM to slow speed like 60-80 BPM and start with simple 8th & 18th groove pattern. For example simple single note funk patterns( with DRY CLEAN sound!!!) work great for this. If you're playing with a simple clean sound you have a lot more dynamics. Try the same pattern with DISTORTED SOUND. Then of course you have less dynamics but you have to be careful about unwanted open strings noise.
2. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 2 and 4!!!
3. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 1!!! So you have a silence on 2,3, and 4. This can be a REAL challenge to keep the timing until the next bar.
4. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 1 for TWO BARS!!! So you have a silence on 2,3, and 4. (on the 1st bar ) AND 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the 2nd bar too This can be a ULTIMATE challenge to keep the timing during the two bars.
5. Then you can experiment with off-Beat settings of course, for example 3+(on the 1st bar) and 2+ on the 2nd bar.
6. Try to move a whole pattern in between the bar, for move it from 1 to 1+, or 16th note before etc. etc.
8. And then at the end try your patterns with a complete drum groove or backing track.

There are tons of possibilities here to improve your timing.

But I have to mention one important point here, these are only timing exercises!! But when it comes to REAL GROOVY music, then the Micro timing is the most difficult thing to master, specially if you play with REAL musicians. So it makes a lot difference if you're pushing a beat or if you're playing more laid back.

So try this this micro timing thing with a metronome or backing track too. ;-)

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2014, 07:32 AM
Instructor
Guido has offered an extensive suggestion on how to get your timing into shape and I strongly think you should follow it, but in the mean time, why not share a recording with us so we can also hear what's going on? Anything you wish will most likely tell us if it's your playing that needs adjusting smile.gif

+Quote Post
Koseydon
Mar 9 2014, 12:48 PM
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 8 2014, 08:37 PM) *
Well, if you have problems with playing in time in general , then the first thing you should do is: practice with a metronome:

So here I have some tips that work great to improve your timing:
1. Set BPM to slow speed like 60-80 BPM and start with simple 8th & 18th groove pattern. For example simple single note funk patterns( with DRY CLEAN sound!!!) work great for this. If you're playing with a simple clean sound you have a lot more dynamics. Try the same pattern with DISTORTED SOUND. Then of course you have less dynamics but you have to be careful about unwanted open strings noise.
2. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 2 and 4!!!
3. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 1!!! So you have a silence on 2,3, and 4. This can be a REAL challenge to keep the timing until the next bar.
4. Play the same things but this time with the click metronome just on 1 for TWO BARS!!! So you have a silence on 2,3, and 4. (on the 1st bar ) AND 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the 2nd bar too This can be a ULTIMATE challenge to keep the timing during the two bars.
5. Then you can experiment with off-Beat settings of course, for example 3+(on the 1st bar) and 2+ on the 2nd bar.
6. Try to move a whole pattern in between the bar, for move it from 1 to 1+, or 16th note before etc. etc.
8. And then at the end try your patterns with a complete drum groove or backing track.

There are tons of possibilities here to improve your timing.

But I have to mention one important point here, these are only timing exercises!! But when it comes to REAL GROOVY music, then the Micro timing is the most difficult thing to master, specially if you play with REAL musicians. So it makes a lot difference if you're pushing a beat or if you're playing more laid back.

So try this this micro timing thing with a metronome or backing track too. ;-)

thank you very much for awesome reply smile.gif this remind me one of the books that i have. It is called "Ross Bolton - Funk Guitar - The Essential Guide" maybe i should take a look at it?

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 9 2014, 06:32 AM) *
Guido has offered an extensive suggestion on how to get your timing into shape and I strongly think you should follow it, but in the mean time, why not share a recording with us so we can also hear what's going on? Anything you wish will most likely tell us if it's your playing that needs adjusting smile.gif

well i'm writing a blog about my exercises. I only wrote 1 article so far when it becomes more and more i will share. i also record myself both audio and video for that blog. I will happy to share it smile.gif

also Cosmin, i was looking a post about this that u shared:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=41914

i think i can also help about this "micro timing" what you think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 9 2014, 09:01 PM
Instructor
Great to know that we finally got but you meant in your first post. There are many exercises that help with timing. One thing that helped me at first has been to along with songs. Once you feel comfortable with songs, you can use backing tracks to practice just with the drums and bass in a real music situation.

this is an example:

this is also a good exercise to practice timing:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...iming-exercise/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Koseydon @ Mar 9 2014, 11:48 AM) *
thank you very much for awesome reply smile.gif this remind me one of the books that i have. It is called "Ross Bolton - Funk Guitar - The Essential Guide" maybe i should take a look at it?

well i'm writing a blog about my exercises. I only wrote 1 article so far when it becomes more and more i will share. i also record myself both audio and video for that blog. I will happy to share it smile.gif

also Cosmin, i was looking a post about this that u shared:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=41914

i think i can also help about this "micro timing" what you think?

Mate, the Ross Bolton book is GOLDEN! I know it ALL by heart biggrin.gif That many times I have played it smile.gif Listen, if you learn all the exercises in that book and rehearse them with full focus over the backing tracks in my thread - the one you posted above - I guarantee you will become a rhythm machine smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:53 PM