My First Scale, Is it real?
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 10:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,

OK another question. My first guitar teacher showed me the scale in the TAB below. My second guitar teacher said he had never seen it before but "don't throw it away, you never know when you might need it!

Now I have tried to read about scales and some theory and to me it doesn't seem to be a scale in the true sense of the term "scale". What is it, is it usable, how would you theoretically explain this this "scale"? The reason I'm asking this is because of what my second teacher said. I've always pondered it and he didn't elaborate on it when I asked.

"Scale in the key of A"
|-------------------------------6-7-8-----|
|-------------------------6-7-8-----------|
|-------------------5-6-7-----------------|
|-------------5-6-7-----------------------|
|-------5-6-7-----------------------------|
|-5-6-7-----------------------------------|

A track from my first teacher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzNXpfGeYcs

A track from my second teacher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9ueac6SHE

Thank you for your help folks.

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 4 2015, 08:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 4 2015, 05:53 AM
GMC:er
It's not really a scale per se but it's a usable pattern in the key of A especially over an A7 chord in a bluesy or classic rock context.
It's very 'scale like'. It follows a pattern.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 4 2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks Ken,

I'm starting to think music doesn't have to be as strict as I once thought. I remember an art teacher once saying "you can paint pink sheep and blue grass if you want to, it's art, it's good to know sheep aren't pink and grass isn't blue but paint whatever you want whatever colour you want".

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 4 2015, 03:13 PM
GMC:er
At the end of the day, "if it sounds good it is good".

*Here's a link to a repository of the most common scales and a path to many others ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music...cales_and_modes

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 4 2015, 06:14 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
It's kind of like the "Pirates Code" They are just guidelines really. tongue.gif Or, the rules are, there are no rules.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 4 2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks Ken and Rich,

My one worry is that my ear isn't too good, something might sound brilliant to me but to someone with a good ear it might sound terrible as it might to me if I listen back if my ear ever became well tuned. That's why I thought that if I know what notes I "should" be playing I can't really go wrong technically.

For some reason, and I'm not really unintelligent, music theory doesn't sink in very well with me. I find I can read the same paragraph over and over and I just don't get it. Some of it could be the terminology used.

Cheers.

P.S Did you have a listen to the two example of my teachers' work?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:36 AM