Fisman Fluence Modern Pups (is It Just My Ears?)
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2020, 10:15 PM
GMC:er
The FISHMAN Fluence Modern Pickup is the "Pickup of The Moment" to be sure. For a long while, Bareknuckle pickups were all the rage. Nearly all the custom / really pricey / boutique guitars and many off the rack high end guitars, came with Bareknuckle pups of some stripe. Even off the rack Ibanez guitars were showing up with factory installed Bareknuckle sets. The Ibanez RGA61AL comes to mind.
Attached Image

Then, BAM, the Fishman Fluence pickups were released and sort of took over. The Fluence "Modern" has been showing up in just about every boutique guitar that used to have Bareknuckle pups it seems. For example, the STRANDBERG guitars, espcially 7 and 8 string versions have switched to Fishman Fluence pups instead of the previous EMG models.
Attached Image
Solar Guitars (which I've heard great things about, KRIS has one and it sounds killer) has a Fishman Fluence model with an Evertune bridge. Looks stunning. However, in the video it sounds a bit muffled. Is it just my ears? He is using a Mesa Cab Clone on it instead of a mic and cab. Could it be the cab clone is really that bad? What to you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 16 2020, 10:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 17 2020, 11:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah you are right, the sound of those pickups hasn't as much clarity as the Duncans.

About the Fishman trend, it's because of marketing/bombardment of ads/youtube videos.

I've been saying it for a while, guitar players are being manipulated into buying new and expensive gear every single day. Especially now with youtube. Some years ago you had to wait for each company's catalogue to see what was new, which meant you had to play with your gear for at least a year. Now as soon as you buy something there is something else which is "better sounding, faster, prettier" etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 17 2020, 05:03 PM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 17 2020, 03:31 AM) *
Yeah you are right, the sound of those pickups hasn't as much clarity as the Duncans.

About the Fishman trend, it's because of marketing/bombardment of ads/youtube videos.

I've been saying it for a while, guitar players are being manipulated into buying new and expensive gear every single day. Especially now with youtube. Some years ago you had to wait for each company's catalogue to see what was new, which meant you had to play with your gear for at least a year. Now as soon as you buy something there is something else which is "better sounding, faster, prettier" etc.

I agree. Anymore, I don't/can't trust any youtuber hawking gear of any kind. They do WAY too many to be a piece they've actually spent any real time with and at this point it's obvious that at the 'minimum' they're getting the gear for free. Glenn whatever his name is, the recording engineer dude is about the only guy that will actually dis a product.

As to the Fluence pickups - with that much gain and down tuned, how can you even really tell anything?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2020, 07:57 PM
Youtube gear guys have been commodified like everything else on youtube sadly. I agree on Glenn. He isn't afraid to say if something is pure crap. Very straight up type of guy imho. When I see guys putting up 4 reviews a week, I'm very skeptical as you say, it's impossible they have spent any real time on the gear. Every review I've done is only after I've tried the gear for a while and determined if it's worth talking about.

You are right about high gain/down tune making it tough to tell much, but that too was kinda my point. Even with the gain/tune, the fluence pups sounded sorta muffled and flat. I expected them to sound much more clear? Then I thought maybe it was the mesa cab clone he was using which most people really seem to hate.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 17 2020, 12:03 PM) *
I agree. Anymore, I don't/can't trust any youtuber hawking gear of any kind. They do WAY too many to be a piece they've actually spent any real time with and at this point it's obvious that at the 'minimum' they're getting the gear for free. Glenn whatever his name is, the recording engineer dude is about the only guy that will actually dis a product.

As to the Fluence pickups - with that much gain and down tuned, how can you even really tell anything?

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 17 2020, 08:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 17 2020, 04:03 PM) *

True, you can't really tell a lot when the sound is heavily distorted but you can tell the difference from past videos of Ola; he plays the same guitar shape/wood/frets etc but with different pickups, and with the same amount of distortion. The sound he gets has more clarity, to my ears at least, than those pickups on the video above.

In my opinion, I prefer to listen to guitar gear in person in order to be 100% convinced. Who knows how the sound in the video has or may have been manipulated.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:55 AM