Guitar Position When Playing
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2011, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Mates, over the years I have discovered a few aspects regarding the way you hold your guitar when playing. I find them important because this factor affects your playing in a substantial amount.

- try to find a position in which the guitar is about the same level when you practice sitting or standing. You'll discover that if you swing it around your knees when standing, aside from the fact that your hands won't be able to tackle about 80% of what you usually play while sitting, your mind will feel boggled by the distance created between your eyes and the guitar neck. It's a VERY strange sensation smile.gif

- if you hold your guitar about your waist when standing, let the body of your axe lean on your right hip - it's going to offer a good position for your right handand you'll be able to incline the neck sufficient enough for your left hand to feel comfy as well.

- it DOESN'T MATTER how you look (a lot of people are trying to look cool by holding their guitars around their knees biggrin.gif) look at Tom Morello - he keeps his guitar almost like a bow tie smile.gif that doesn't take away one bit of his attitude on stage.

So, explore, find what's working for you and let your attitude take over, once you're confident and comfortable with what you have to play wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 14 2011, 09:25 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
for a long time years ago I used to have my guitar quite low when standing, as you mentioned it made trickier stuff a lot harder to play or I`d find I would kneel to play a stretching run.

I found that I slowly shortened the strap over the years to somewhere that is pretty comfortable to play everything.

its a valid point to find somewhere that is fairly close to your sitting position height.

if you take a look at this photo of me (I`m on the left btw) and imagine me bringing my legs up into a sitting position the guitar would more or less be in the same position as standing and in my opinion at this height it doesnt appear like I`m wearing the guitar (as Cosmin put it laugh.gif) like a bow tie

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: Jul 14 2011, 09:26 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 14 2011, 10:20 AM
Instructor
This is a very important aspect of guitar... it took me years before I was happy with my guitar position.. I wear mine about the same height as Chris I'd say. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 14 2011, 11:20 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I also experimented a bit in the past, but now I wear my guitar in the classical Jimmy Page position laugh.gif I'd say it's a tiny bit lower than Chris' and Ben's.

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2011, 11:39 AM
Instructor
When performing at Mozart Rocks! I'm always trying a little bit of bow tie stance biggrin.gif but with Voodoo, Stripsearch and Aria it's always swung just about the waist and usually, if I have to play something more demanding, I'm placing one foot on the monitors - Petrucci style biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 14 2011, 12:33 PM
Instructor
I wanna emulate this guy:

He plays so effortlessly even the guitar that low, and some very technical stuff

or check Paul Gilbert! it's insane how low his guitar is, but he pulls it off, so I guess it's a matter of getting used to it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2011, 01:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 14 2011, 11:33 AM) *
I wanna emulate this guy:

He plays so effortlessly even the guitar that low, and some very technical stuff

or check Paul Gilbert! it's insane how low his guitar is, but he pulls it off, so I guess it's a matter of getting used to it

Indeed! But note the fact that Paul's arms have the lenght of an ourangutan biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 14 2011, 01:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 14 2011, 01:00 PM) *
Indeed! But note the fact that Paul's arms have the lenght of an ourangutan biggrin.gif

true, and the hands as well. But I definitely think you can get used to any position of course you can do the John Petrucci leg stand, or the Slash's guitar cuddle

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 14 2011, 01:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, this a very good topic. When I'm standing, I must bring the guitar up a little more than desired. I have to have it like I practiced.

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 14 2011, 07:24 PM
GMC:er
I allways practiced sitting down for a long time...when i started playin standing up it was like i couldn't play anything.

This position advice is very wise...

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 14 2011, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=138...e=1&theater

here my normal playing position.

but lately i have been using it a bit more higher.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 14 2011, 07:40 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2011, 09:21 AM
Instructor
Since I'm practicing in standing position for years now, it's not that hard to play anything when standing, as long as the strap is normally adjusted. I wouldn't go into extremes of lowering the guitar a lot, cause sometimes there are no monitors to place the leg on, and the soloing ability is lower (although proper notes get punched in) cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 AM