Dirty Clean Sound
Darfuria
May 7 2008, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
I'm only playing a Squier Strat, so the overall quality of my guitar is obviously not going to be fantastic. There is the odd bit of buzzing here and there, and the guitar isn't in fantastic shape, but none the less I love it to bits.

Anyway, I was wondering how I can go about achieving that dirty clean sound. What I mean by that is playing with distortion, but distortion that is clean enough to play chords without sounding like hard rock/metal.

An example of the sound I'm trying to achieve would be something like Foo Fighters - Times Like These.

I'm using Guitar Rig 2, so have a fair few effects available to me. I've tried simply turning the gain down on the distortion box, but that usually just results in having a weaker sound.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2008, 10:55 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Darfuria @ May 7 2008, 10:51 AM) *
I'm only playing a Squier Strat, so the overall quality of my guitar is obviously not going to be fantastic. There is the odd bit of buzzing here and there, and the guitar isn't in fantastic shape, but none the less I love it to bits.

Anyway, I was wondering how I can go about achieving that dirty clean sound. What I mean by that is playing with distortion, but distortion that is clean enough to play chords without sounding like hard rock/metal.

An example of the sound I'm trying to achieve would be something like Foo Fighters - Times Like These.

I'm using Guitar Rig 2, so have a fair few effects available to me. I've tried simply turning the gain down on the distortion box, but that usually just results in having a weaker sound.

Foo Fighters have incredibly powerful amps which give a lot of bite. But to get clean distortion then make sure the gain on the amp you're using isn;t at a great level. If you up the gain the sound will start breaking up. Just play around with the amp settings with overdrive settings and maybe if you have a pedal then try that. A Boss DS1 pedal is great for Foo Fighters style. We do a cover of Learn to Fly in my band and I use that pedal.

With GR2 try a real good rock distortion or overdrive. Don't use a metal distortion and rather than do the gain on the amp do it with the pedal. Keep the gain on amp around 3 or 4 and give the pedal a little bit of drive. If you choose the right pedal it should have a bit of bite whilst staying clean overall.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: May 7 2008, 10:56 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 7 2008, 11:15 AM
Instructor
i think yo have to change firstable your pickups and the volume and tone nops to much better quality
i think you will have after that a good sound

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 7 2008, 11:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I checked the video on youtube and it looks like Mesa amps and humbuckers in the guitars. ..and not much chord clarity but rather dirty imo wink.gif

I suggest you fool around with the guitar switchm try position 2 and 4 if that gives the sound more body. Don't turn the gain up too much, noon maybe, and go crazy on the volume!
You could add an EQ in the loop and shape it up there, raising the mids could help and boost it a few dB (still in the loop, not before the preamp), cut the highs a bit and add some bass too I guess.

There were som clean picking parts in the song and to go from distorted to clean - use the volume knob! No tripping on distortion pedals, going from distorted to clean in the middle of a song and then back by stomping a pedal doesn't always sound that good. Either use it all the time and pary with the guitars volume knob or use the amps gain but still pary to clean with the volume knob.

Now, I don't know guitar rig 2 but still, try to key in an amp that works for you and take it from there.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 7 2008, 09:55 PM
Instructor
Go with some Mesa preset, and play with your middle pickup, my guess you'll have better clarity on it. Also consider about DS1 or maybe SD Lavabox, it is great for breaking up the amp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:05 AM