Rings Of Saturn Faking Playing. :(
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2014, 06:00 AM
GMC:er
Very sad to see something like this. I have appreciated some RINGS OF SATURN work in the past, but it seems that in this particulate "Studio" video, he's just faking playing something obviously written and played in GUITAR PRO. I use guitar pro a TON and I know what the instruments sound like as do most folks. Then there are parts in the vid where his fingers lose complete track of what's being played. (being a shredder it's pretty easy to see this as I'm used to watching fast fretwork to learn new bits, I'm sure everyone else can see it too)

Guitar Pro has it's place to be sure. But "writing" with mouse clicks and claiming to be "playing" it is something else entirely and I must call SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!

Here is the vid. Can you see the bits where his fingers lose track?

The guys over at metalsucks.net seem to have caught on as well.
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/08/video...use-guitar-pro/

I'd have no problem with any of this if he didn't act like he was playing this. The video title of "Studio Demo" video shoot in his home hallway near the guest bath isn't helping. But if it' guitar pro just say so sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 12 2014, 06:21 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 12 2014, 08:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I actually liked the piece as well but if the dude is miming to something he cant play at that speed huh.gif that's lame.
Todd, you should send him a link to your bootcamp shred lessons, Im sure if he practiced slow and clean, like the rest of us, he'd nail it soon enough cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 12 2014, 08:38 AM
No offence, but Guitar Pro sounds like a low quality MIDI player in most cases, even with the R.S.E (Realistic Sound Engine).

I could pick that up, specially at the start of the video, it was Guitar Pro. I assumed it was a backing track at first, he was playing along with using some crazy digital tone.

Pressure of fame and releasing quickly for demanding fans I guess. He probably can play, but considers his fans want perfection... It's not unheard of for bands to do this too and use auto-tunes on their voices, etc. You can tell the difference, I don't even like the piece for some strange reason, doesn't have any kick to it.

They need a stop watch, like they do in rap videos:

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jun 12 2014, 08:43 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2014, 10:39 AM
GMC Founder
Something isn't right, if his goal was to fool the world then why on earth did he use the guitar pro midi sound?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 12 2014, 04:03 PM
Instructor
I'd imagine he knew that everybody would know he was miming to MIDI.... at least I hope so !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2014, 10:11 PM

Here is a screen grab from the youtube page. Claims "guitar and bass recorded by lucas mann" mixed and mastered by zeuss, download track for free etc.

So he is claiming to have played these parts, and that it's been mixed and mastered!!!! The sheer gaul.

Attached Image

--

Well said!! smile.gif I think I'll shoot him and email and invite him to GMC!!!!!

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 12 2014, 03:23 AM) *
I actually liked the piece as well but if the dude is miming to something he cant play at that speed huh.gif that's lame.
Todd, you should send him a link to your bootcamp shred lessons, Im sure if he practiced slow and clean, like the rest of us, he'd nail it soon enough cool.gif

He's evidently done this before. He did write the piece and was evidently wanting to get it out to be heard. The quickest way to do that of course, is just to play the guitar pro file and sorta play along to it. Some folks on various sites actually insist it's him playing (metalsucks, even comments on youtube). Not everyone can even tell it's fake. Most guitar players with any kind of ear can tell right away though. Lame sad.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 12 2014, 05:39 AM) *
Something isn't right, if his goal was to fool the world then why on earth did he use the guitar pro midi sound?!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 12 2014, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 13 2014, 06:33 AM
Learning Roadie
I stopped the video at 17 sec, it was so obviously midi

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 13 2014, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Could he be the Milli Vanilli of the guitar world ? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 12 2014, 10:11 PM) *
Some folks on various sites actually insist it's him playing. Not everyone can even tell it's fake. Most guitar players with any kind of ear can tell right away though. Lame sad.gif

Yep. Unfortunately many people in this world want to believe stuff so much they'll ignore every piece of rational evidence or argument that is shown to them.

Nobody's saying he couldn't play the stuff that he writes but that he clearly is not playing them for real in many of his videos. By passing them off as being played live on cam he seems to have contempt for his own audience and is actually taking the piss, knowing he can get away with it.

If he was ever to prove us all wrong about this I'd shake his hand and apologise but I doubt very much that will be the case.

Anyway, let him get one with it. Good luck and all that. It's his conscience at the end of the day.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 13 2014, 11:25 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 13 2014, 12:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just to be clear "cheating" isn't ok
IMO , trying to sync a YouTube video after its published and crying foul because things seem off shouldn't be done
How many times do we record something without video and then just try to do the best video to match , it's not like everyone can afford to sit in a studio and an pay for the extra time to start and stop a video as well

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 13 2014, 06:34 PM
Lip Syncing is the worst...

Extra credit to Nirvana - Record company forced him to lip sync and use a backing track, so he sang his own voice over the top of it extremely deeply so you could clearly hear it.

Then you have the real rock stars, not feeling to well, bad day, drunken from the night before (to fake it or not, hmm)...

Caution: JB vomits while still singing!

Respect to Slash, plays even when wasted, with make shift pants and guitar fret hand out of key a bit!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jun 13 2014, 06:36 PM

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 16 2014, 09:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hehe, i think this goes straight into the category marketing wink.gif

It’s actually quite funny to obviously use guitar pro instead to speed up or use other funky studio technics and still get the fake/not fake discussion started within the all so knowledgeable online community. People who have seen them live seems to be convinced by their skills and performances. Even on this video it’s hard to deny that this guy can play.

I think it’s a funny move laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 16 2014, 10:08 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 16 2014, 10:59 AM) *

Yes that's my thinking as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2014, 06:58 PM
Nobody doubts he can play smile.gif He's a great player. The point in this thread was that he is clearly faking it in this video. To make it worse, he's posting it as if it were real. doesn't seem funny, just lame IMHO sad.gif He could play this I"m sure, but he just copped out and used guitar pro sad.gif

QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 16 2014, 04:59 AM) *

It’s actually quite funny to obviously use guitar pro instead to speed up or use other funky studio technics and still get the fake/not fake discussion started within the all so knowledgeable online community. People who have seen them live seems to be convinced by their skills and performances. Even on this video it’s hard to deny that this guy can play.

I think it’s a funny move laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 17 2014, 05:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 16 2014, 07:58 PM) *
Nobody doubts he can play smile.gif He's a great player. The point in this thread was that he is clearly faking it in this video. To make it worse, he's posting it as if it were real. doesn't seem funny, just lame IMHO sad.gif He could play this I"m sure, but he just copped out and used guitar pro sad.gif

The potential marketing value will go to zero if he would confirm that it’s fake .. that would be pointless, right? ... wink.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 04:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That sounds so bad (not the playing but the guitar pro sounds). If he's being serious and trying to run that by as a studio demo than he should re-evaluate somethings.

You can also tell how fake his harmonics look. I've never seen someone just hit a natural harmonic and do the hand motion that he does. I've seen close to it with people playing acoustic/classical instruments but it just looks very exaggerated to me.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2014, 05:11 PM
I could let the harmonic bit slide smile.gif But I couldn't get past the midi tone sad.gif Studio Demo indeed.

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 17 2014, 11:08 AM) *
That sounds so bad (not the playing but the guitar pro sounds). If he's being serious and trying to run that by as a studio demo than he should re-evaluate somethings.

You can also tell how fake his harmonics look. I've never seen someone just hit a natural harmonic and do the hand motion that he does. I've seen close to it with people playing acoustic/classical instruments but it just looks very exaggerated to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:33 AM