2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Crossfire Collaboration, UPLOADS & COMMENTS THREAD
Staffy
Aug 20 2009, 10:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Ivan!
Finally I got this together. First i've tried to be a little bit innovative on this one, but when I got to the bottom line - it sounded better trying not to be..... So I guess I'm stuck with that ole same blues!

Recording notes:
Fender Mexican with Texas special
TC Powercore Tubifex, amp simulator
Little reverb added + noise gate.

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2009, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Staffy:

Rhythm: Great rhythmic figures, very nicely blended with the backing, but also using syncopated sequences as well (specially on some bends), which is really nice to hear. There are some timing issues here and there, some notes not being on the beat. I understand the loose feel you were tending to achieve and although it did turn out excellent, there are some notes here and there that could been a bit more precisely executed, specially in the second part.
Phrasing: Good melodic structure, using well blended licks, that do go along with each other. Although the structure is there, I think you would benefit from using a more melodic approach, where not so much stock blues licks would be used, but a nice well-balanced melody is going through a whole take. Possibly this could be achieved with some main theme that could be repeated in the whole solo, so it sounds all connected together. Regardless of that, I think all the licks really turned out great, and they sound very nice in relation to the backing. Another proof of rellying on familiar boxes and licks is in the last part where you used box 1 of the G minor pentatonic scale (pickup change part) over the G - A turnaround sequence, and then came back to double stop chromatic lick on the E minor pentatonic. This kinda sounded strange because of the E# note that sounded out of key.
Technique: Loose but very cool sounding. I dig this kind of style and I like when it is played like this. Doesn't sound sloppy to me, more like loosy. There are some sloppy notes here and there, but execution and your ability of playing is in general very very good.
Sound: Good fat sound with pronounced mids, nice subtle dark sounding verb, good in your face tone in general. Your playing is clean, and everything goes out pretty good. On thing I must note is the fact that the preset had some additional hissing noise, probably due to overdrive preset.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 23 2009, 08:33 PM
Learning Roadie
HEy Ivan,

here is my new take where i tried to focuse on your advices. I think i can't do it better at the moment. Have to work a lot more on my legto playing in the near future.

Hope you like it anyway.

Attached File  CrossfireCollabWBT2.mp3 ( 908.9K ) Number of downloads: 151

Attached File  CrossfireCollabNOWBT2.mp3 ( 624.43K ) Number of downloads: 135

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 24 2009, 01:51 PM
Instructor
edguy:

This take already sounds much much better, I really liked it! Thanks for taking the time to do another take.
In comparison to the first one, this one has lots of cool elements that are much better blended together to create a nice balanced story that is pleasing for listening and keeps attention for the listener.
Since the critique is what usually makes us realize some imperfections, there are few suggestions I can make for you for this new take for fine tuning:

In the first part you had 3 cool pairs of call & response phrases. What I noticed is that all the response phrases were finished on notes that leave the impression of unfinished musical sentence. If you listen carefully I think you will understand what I mean. Possibly the last note on every response phrase could be a bit different, possibly ending on a root or something. This would give a good meaning to the phrases, and make impression that they are complete.
In the second part of the solo, there are some very cool legato sequences. 1st and 3rd ones are Em arpeggio triads, while the second one is a bit acquard A# major triad but with flated 5th. It sounds a bit dissonant in this solo so I suggest just using some note from Em pentatonic scale instead of A#. A# is in fact the note from E blues scale, but when used in this triad it can sound strange, specially if you put it between two Em triad shapes that have the same pattern and where the E note is actually parallel to the A# note so to the listener A# becomes the root.
All in all I think your take was great, major improvement from the previous one. I would like to hear some more vibrato on some notes, specially on those endings of the phrases in the first part, but it is very good as it is. It think you well understood what can be done to make your take better, and this proves that you are thinking about the way you play. Well done! smile.gif

Again I say, there are always room for improvements. If you feel that you can make even better take and you want to do it, feel free to do it, there is no harm in doing it and fine tuning your solo to become even more better. I appreciate the fact that I can follow your progress through this collaboration so it will mean a lot in future ones as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 25 2009, 12:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ivan,

thanks again for your detailed comment. I'm glad that you like this take more.

What I noticed is that all the response phrases were finished on notes that leave the impression of unfinished musical sentence

That's what i was thinking too. But i had no idea how i should end the phrases a different way so it ended up like it is now smile.gif
In the future i will look more about ending a phrase better. Thank you for the great tip.

1st and 3rd ones are Em arpeggio triads, while the second one is a bit acquard A# major triad but with flated 5th. It sounds a bit dissonant in this solo so I suggest just using some note from Em pentatonic scale instead of A#. A# is in fact the note from E blues scale, but when used in this triad it can sound strange, specially if you put it between two Em triad shapes that have the same pattern and where the E note is actually parallel to the A# note so to the listener A# becomes the root.

Now the funny part begins smile.gif I understand completly what you said here ! The funny thing is while recording and listen to this legato part i thougt this sounds a little bit strange too. But i didn't had the courage to trust my ears and change the notes because i was thinking: Hey i am using the E Blues Pentatonic here so it must be right. But this shows me that my ears are not that bad and in the furture i will try to trust my feelings a little bit more.

The only thing i didn't understand is what a triad means?

The deadline is today so I'm not able to record a new take (sometimes is't really exhausting to record)
Hope you can use this take in the collab even with this small mistakes.

cheers

Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Aug 25 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Hey Ivan,

thanks again for your detailed comment. I'm glad that you like this take more.

That's what i was thinking too. But i had no idea how i should end the phrases a different way so it ended up like it is now smile.gif
In the future i will look more about ending a phrase better. Thank you for the great tip.

Now the funny part begins smile.gif I understand completly what you said here ! The funny thing is while recording and listen to this legato part i thougt this sounds a little bit strange too. But i didn't had the courage to trust my ears and change the notes because i was thinking: Hey i am using the E Blues Pentatonic here so it must be right. But this shows me that my ears are not that bad and in the furture i will try to trust my feelings a little bit more.

The only thing i didn't understand is what a triad means?

The deadline is today so I'm not able to record a new take (sometimes is't really exhausting to record)
Hope you can use this take in the collab even with this small mistakes.

cheers

Roman

Very good man, thanks for the feedback! smile.gif
I will definitely use this take in the collab, don't worry! It's a very interesting take, and with couple of more adjustments like those mentioned, you will sound like a professional player.
I'm very glad you understood the triad part of my comment. Next time definitely trust your ears, ears first - then theory. Theory should be used as a tool, something that is there to assist you when you cannot use the ear.

Triad is the simplest form of chord, it consist of three notes: root, third and fifth.

cheers! smile.gif
Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 25 2009, 07:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
there ya go wink.gif sorry to bump in tongue.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kaz_CrossfireBT.mp3 ( 894.05K ) Number of downloads: 140
Attached File  Kaz_CrossfireNBT.mp3 ( 889.87K ) Number of downloads: 130

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 25 2009, 09:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 23 2009, 05:44 PM) *
Staffy:

Rhythm: Great rhythmic figures, very nicely blended with the backing, but also using syncopated sequences as well (specially on some bends), which is really nice to hear. There are some timing issues here and there, some notes not being on the beat. I understand the loose feel you were tending to achieve and although it did turn out excellent, there are some notes here and there that could been a bit more precisely executed, specially in the second part.
Phrasing: Good melodic structure, using well blended licks, that do go along with each other. Although the structure is there, I think you would benefit from using a more melodic approach, where not so much stock blues licks would be used, but a nice well-balanced melody is going through a whole take. Possibly this could be achieved with some main theme that could be repeated in the whole solo, so it sounds all connected together. Regardless of that, I think all the licks really turned out great, and they sound very nice in relation to the backing. Another proof of rellying on familiar boxes and licks is in the last part where you used box 1 of the G minor pentatonic scale (pickup change part) over the G - A turnaround sequence, and then came back to double stop chromatic lick on the E minor pentatonic. This kinda sounded strange because of the E# note that sounded out of key.
Technique: Loose but very cool sounding. I dig this kind of style and I like when it is played like this. Doesn't sound sloppy to me, more like loosy. There are some sloppy notes here and there, but execution and your ability of playing is in general very very good.
Sound: Good fat sound with pronounced mids, nice subtle dark sounding verb, good in your face tone in general. Your playing is clean, and everything goes out pretty good. On thing I must note is the fact that the preset had some additional hissing noise, probably due to overdrive preset.

Hi again Ivan! Thanx for Your very constructive critics, I must say that I really enjoy to be a part of Your collabs!
They made me discover details that I normally haven't discovered. But I'm not sure of which E# note you mean, that one before the double stop???? The double stop itself lands on H and G, which makes the 7'th & the 9'th of the A chord... In my head, it doesn't sounds SO strange, hmmm, maybe a little, I guess my brain is a little bit jazz-damaged, since a played a lot of modern jazz back in the old days. biggrin.gif

I also agree with you that some notes could be spoken out more clearly and the timing could be more accurate, Im still struggling with those heavy strings, but I wont give it up (yet).

Another interesting thing to mention is the difference between a solo and a improvisation. Back in my days (Ooowwlll, I sound old now, I know), all guitar solos was just pure improvisations, but I have noticed that nowadays a lot of players actually plays "written" solos and performs them exactly the same live as on the record. Even the great SRV did, with some small modifications here and there. Anyway, this fact has made me realize that I have to be more disciplined in my playing - which i never had been.... So therefore I tried to duplicate this improvisation and (hopefully) get rid of most of the errors. I also made a change in the sound in order to get it less "compressed" and hissy.

Thanx again Ivan for a great collab !!!!

//Staffay

Ps. There no need to comment it again, Ivan.... Lets move on to the next one! smile.gif Ds.

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Aug 25 2009, 11:01 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Here's my take Ivan smile.gif

[attachment=17407:Dexxter_...fire_WBT.mp3]
[attachment=17409:Dexxter_...fire_NBT.mp3]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Kaznie:

Rhythm: Very good rhythmic structure that repeats in the first part. In the second part again some cool variations. Towards the end you had some slightly unusual 16th note quad groups here and there in between slower notes. This leaves the impression you are practicing mostly 16th notes with the pentatonic scale, so I suggest tried to insert triplets in your regular daily routines. Regardless of that, it all came out very solid, not a note missed, all very well defined until the end. Great rhythm work.
Phrasing: Very nice melodies, specially in the beginning. Sounds really cool with the panned overdubbed octave licks as well. Until the very end, you have great melodic build up, and I can say it is one quality solo. I would prefer a bit more better ending, possibly just holding the last note a bit and vibrating it would mean a lot.
Technique: Good use of blues techniques, nice raking effects throughout, and great bends, very tasty and musical. All in all you did really well on this collab in terms of execution and really progressed a lot from previous collabs. I really dig this solo, and hope to hear even more progress from you. The thing you should perhaps spend some time with the metronome in order to balance out your playing is the vibrato and triplet feels.
Sound: Decent clean sound, but I think it is a bit thin. Compressing a bit, and adding some light overdrive would definitely make it more alive. All in all it is good.

Staffy:

Your new take was excellent, you really managed to play everything great, and I really liked the middle part with the repeated sequence. The last part still sounds a bit acquard to me in some way, specially the last bend, I get the impression that some dissonant note was played, and bended, perhaps it is not the case tho.. I think perhaps there is some work that could be done when the chords are changing, so you can better connect your soloing in those moments. You seem to handle I IV V pretty good, but I can see some difficulties when progression goes out of there.
Anyway, thanks a lot for sending the new version, this one is really cool, and you play blues great my friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 11:40 PM
Instructor
Dexxter:

Rhythm: Great rhythmical figures, really cool use of the palm muting technique to accent some notes, and good build up until the end of the solo. Everything was very nicely balanced and although I expected an ending with a bit more notes and some slightly faster passages, I think this sounds pretty good as it is. Great job in having the whole take very rhythmically defined, no notes are off timing wise.
Phrasing: Good phrases, and good connection between them. Some phrases in the take are leaving an impression of not finished story at some points, probably due to some landing notes that are used, but all in all I think again everything is properly matched, no dissonant notes, and played really nicely. There are few shot bluesy licks, but you have the style of playing that is more heavy oriented. This means you used not so standard blues licks, but this is not something that is bad, since you managed to play all the parts very nicely and really blended all the phrases with the backing track.
Technique: More heavy oriented technique, precise and aggressive sounding. Very cool, and good control over the tone, there were almost none of the additional string noise in your playing so that makes it very nicely defined and effective. Your muting is very good. Palm muting especially, and you used PM as a good effect to accent many notes in this solo. The thing that I think you lacked to play in this solo are vibratos, and bending vibratos. These would really give a whole new dimension to your take, so possibly concentrate on making those notes sing when you apply a nice string wide vibrato to them. With your style of playing this will sound great.
Sound: Good sound, smooth and balanced bottom end and mids, with a bit pronounced hi midrange and presence. There is some degree of buzzing in the overdrive preset, but it is very small and not so noticeable in the mix. The amount of space was just enough, possibly a bit less would be even better to make your dry signal more pronounced and in front.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Aug 27 2009, 04:55 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 27 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Dexxter:

Rhythm: Great rhythmical figures, really cool use of the palm muting technique to accent some notes, and good build up until the end of the solo. Everything was very nicely balanced and although I expected an ending with a bit more notes and some slightly faster passages, I think this sounds pretty good as it is. Great job in having the whole take very rhythmically defined, no notes are off timing wise.
Phrasing: Good phrases, and good connection between them. Some phrases in the take are leaving an impression of not finished story at some points, probably due to some landing notes that are used, but all in all I think again everything is properly matched, no dissonant notes, and played really nicely. There are few shot bluesy licks, but you have the style of playing that is more heavy oriented. This means you used not so standard blues licks, but this is not something that is bad, since you managed to play all the parts very nicely and really blended all the phrases with the backing track.
Technique: More heavy oriented technique, precise and aggressive sounding. Very cool, and good control over the tone, there were almost none of the additional string noise in your playing so that makes it very nicely defined and effective. Your muting is very good. Palm muting especially, and you used PM as a good effect to accent many notes in this solo. The thing that I think you lacked to play in this solo are vibratos, and bending vibratos. These would really give a whole new dimension to your take, so possibly concentrate on making those notes sing when you apply a nice string wide vibrato to them. With your style of playing this will sound great.
Sound: Good sound, smooth and balanced bottom end and mids, with a bit pronounced hi midrange and presence. There is some degree of buzzing in the overdrive preset, but it is very small and not so noticeable in the mix. The amount of space was just enough, possibly a bit less would be even better to make your dry signal more pronounced and in front.

Thanks a lot for the great comment Ivan! I learned some by listening to my take several times while reading it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 27 2009, 07:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 26 2009, 10:39 PM) *
Kaznie:

Rhythm: Very good rhythmic structure that repeats in the first part. In the second part again some cool variations. Towards the end you had some slightly unusual 16th note quad groups here and there in between slower notes. This leaves the impression you are practicing mostly 16th notes with the pentatonic scale, so I suggest tried to insert triplets in your regular daily routines. Regardless of that, it all came out very solid, not a note missed, all very well defined until the end. Great rhythm work.
Phrasing: Very nice melodies, specially in the beginning. Sounds really cool with the panned overdubbed octave licks as well. Until the very end, you have great melodic build up, and I can say it is one quality solo. I would prefer a bit more better ending, possibly just holding the last note a bit and vibrating it would mean a lot.
Technique: Good use of blues techniques, nice raking effects throughout, and great bends, very tasty and musical. All in all you did really well on this collab in terms of execution and really progressed a lot from previous collabs. I really dig this solo, and hope to hear even more progress from you. The thing you should perhaps spend some time with the metronome in order to balance out your playing is the vibrato and triplet feels.
Sound: Decent clean sound, but I think it is a bit thin. Compressing a bit, and adding some light overdrive would definitely make it more alive. All in all it is good.

That's very nice to hear biggrin.gif thanks man! ATM I'm kinda seeking my way in the world of EQing, so the sound advice is very cool!!

Thanks Ivan! I loved the BT!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 27 2009, 11:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ Aug 27 2009, 05:55 PM) *
Thanks a lot for the great comment Ivan! I learned some by listening to my take several times while reading it smile.gif

Thank you man for participating. Hope to see you on the next one as well! smile.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 27 2009, 08:51 PM) *
That's very nice to hear biggrin.gif thanks man! ATM I'm kinda seeking my way in the world of EQing, so the sound advice is very cool!!

Thanks Ivan! I loved the BT!

Thanks a lot Kaz. See you on the next one probably! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:59 PM