> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
mhskeide
Jul 29 2020, 08:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alrighty then, seems like wednesdays are about to become my posting day.

I`m back in my apartment after vacay with my proper guitars, so I went for a REC take today of the pop funk thingy:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

It is definitely not 10 yet, but I think it is at least 7 smile.gif
I guess this contradicts what I said last weeks about posting imperfect things, but then again, I don`t want to be stuck too long with one thing/lesson, as my practice time can vary from week to week.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 24 2020, 03:02 PM) *
That's a perfect approach. You can also practice applying them to chord progressions, starting with 2 chords. 2 Major chords, 2 minor chords, 1 major and 1 minor, and then to longer chord progressions. In other words, you would be connecting different triads.

Let's say that you play over these two chords: A - G

You play one measure with A major triads, and the second one you switch to G major triads.

Does it make sense?

Start by analyzing only 1 section and share it here. It can be the intro, or first verse. You don't need to get into the whole song by once.

This is a bit long but maybe you'll enjoy it: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6UhDhmvrt8...WRH61HBlnDhtt-A

No progress here unfortunately. There was very little guitar time from last post till today, and I focused primarily on the REC and my band. But this now moves up on the 2do list, as well as the dynamic lesson you suggested.

And thanks for the suggestion. Haven`t heard of that podcast, but by the name of it, I`ll probably dig it!

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 30 2020, 02:48 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Well done sharing your take at REC! smile.gif

I've just commented and graded it.

Also, thanks for the update. I hope that you enjoy the podcast!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 31 2020, 07:27 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 30 2020, 02:48 PM) *
Hi mate! Well done sharing your take at REC! smile.gif

I've just commented and graded it.

Also, thanks for the update. I hope that you enjoy the podcast!

Thanks! I`ll try to put the lesson in my warm up routine, and hopefully improve it further over time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2020, 02:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jul 31 2020, 03:27 AM) *
Thanks! I`ll try to put the lesson in my warm up routine, and hopefully improve it further over time.

Great!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 13 2020, 08:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hey man! Hope you`re doing good!

I set a goal about weekly updates, and already missed it last weeks tongue.gif
I haven`t had much time for self practice the last two weeks. I got involved in a mini project playing some songs in a wedding in 3 weeks, and I´ve tried writing new material for my main band. So I haven`t even started the new lesson yet.

BUT! I`ve started the analysis of Remarkably Human. And now I`ve confirmed why I postponed it so much. I grow super quickly impatient learning songs by ear, since my ear need training (a proper oxymoron there). I only put aside half an hour for it today, to get started, and that got me through the first part. I started my analysis here, feel free to take a look and comment either here or in the doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVb95pH...dit?usp=sharing

Also, like my days look now, I think I`m gonna have to aim for something like 30 minutes of practice every day, and hopefully a 1-2 hour session a week. I don`t think I can do more with work, bands, etc.
How should we go about structuring this, with all the things I want to improve at? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 14 2020, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I've sent an access request to the document.

30 minutes per day.

You need to cover technique, and improvisation. We can adjust your routine each week but I would start with something like this:

10 minutes - Legato & alternate picking practice.
10 minutes - Rhythm Guitar
10 minutes - Improvisation concept

What do you think of this structure?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 15 2020, 09:33 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi! Sorry about the access thingy, I thought that was already fixed when I sent the link.

I think that structure looks great to start with. I am a bit of a time management freak, so if I`m really busy some weeks, its far more easier getting that 30 minutes done if there`s a plan for it, rather than just noodling smile.gif

30 minutes won`t be much in regards of learning new songs/solos by ear, but I could try do that in the longer session. Just comparing this week, as I used 30 minutes to tab out 6 chords tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 16 2020, 09:12 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Good evening (or whatever time it is with you smile.gif )

I took some time tonight elaborating the suggested plan, and I am quite happy with the result.

I`ll try alternating between doing AP and legato.
For AP, I`ll keep on doing this neoclassical etude, but with a bit more consistent practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/
For legato, I need to search around to find something.

For riffing, there are so much I want/need to do. But right now, I want to level up my picking hand by (finally!!) learning Master of Puppets with downpicking, and Gojira to get that tight rhythm going (as well as tremolo picking)

Improvisation concepts can probably include everything and nothing, but I saw an inspiring youtube video yesterday, regarding ditching the caged-system (which I still don`t know yet...will google after this post tongue.gif ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdkODNKLMto
I did one session tonight, and I`m already convinced this will help both my impro (knowing where notes are), songwriting (different timbres of different inversion evoking inspiration) and general musicality.

In addition to all of this, I also thought about a new project: Learning a new (simple) song every week, suitable for singing and acoustic guitar, as I want to improve my singing. In addition to learning the song, I thought about making a proper analysis of some songs when I have time, similar to what we have done before, and try to do with Remarkably Human. as we have done before. I think some "volume training" in analysis will be good. Maybe I`ll even post some covers to put myself out of the comfort zone.

Phui, yet another long post. Hope it doesn`t seem like I`m biting over too much. I`m just more eager than in a long time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2020, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great stuff here!

I like all the ideas here. It's true that you are planning to cover many things, so it's important to be very organized with time schedule, and have some kind of priorities tags. Some weeks you'll be able to cover everything, but some others, for different reasons (less time, more motivated on specific topics), so having some "high priority" topics can keep you focused and moving forward. Does it make sense?

Investing time on mastering the CAGED system, is the way to go. Learn the pentatonics related to it, then triads, and dedicate time to follow chords with chord tones/triads/arpeggios. You'll never regret it.

I don't know if you like it, but I usually relate legato with hybrid picking practice, and the concept explained here is interesting to create your own shred lines: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jam-Sc...-Improvisation/

I'll be back with Nick Johnston analysis. I want to check it with my guitar in hand and dedicate extra time to follow the analysis with you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 23 2020, 10:12 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hey man!

Late weekend update for this week:

I have more or less followed the plan successfully, and with some more refinement over time, I think it will suit my everyday quite good!

Currently I got both Master of Puppets and Backbone up to about 80% of the original speed, but the tough parts start now tongue.gif

I have not picked one concrete legato-thingy yet, as I have focused mostly on the neoclassic AP lesson I shared above, which I really want to nail.

I have neither progressed any further on the analysis of Nick Johnston`s tune, but combined with my last comment on the previous update, regarding learning a new "singer/songwriter" song every week, I`ve done an "analysis" on a shorter song instead, "Exile" by Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver, as I really liked that tune. I can translate and share that tomorrow. I think I got it pretty good.

I`ll try to film some playing this week and send as an status update, but not much rehearsal as I`m going to a wedding this weekend, where me and some friends are playing 2-3 songs before the party goes off smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 24 2020, 02:47 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the update! Everything sounds great.

I've checked your Nick Johnston analysis and it's also on the right track. It's good to see that you added melody notes as chord extensions. I think that everything is correct.

The key is Eb minor, however that A chord is a guest. I've seen many Nick videos and he explains that he usually creates a melody and then tries different chords over each melody note. (chords that contain that note). That's how he gets unexpected progressions and chords.

The two obvious chords to be played over that Db note are Db or Gb, but he goes for A major since the note is its third. Did you know this method?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 26 2020, 10:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 24 2020, 02:47 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for the update! Everything sounds great.

I've checked your Nick Johnston analysis and it's also on the right track. It's good to see that you added melody notes as chord extensions. I think that everything is correct.

The key is Eb minor, however that A chord is a guest. I've seen many Nick videos and he explains that he usually creates a melody and then tries different chords over each melody note. (chords that contain that note). That's how he gets unexpected progressions and chords.

The two obvious chords to be played over that Db note are Db or Gb, but he goes for A major since the note is its third. Did you know this method?

I did not know that method, but it sure explains some off the odd choices. Or at least, out of the box choices I might not have thought about!

I`ll try to progress on it next week. I`m leaving tomorrow night and won`t have much guitar time before monday again:(

But when I do get back: Any suggestions on how to efficiently practice triads in a useful way?
Right now, I follow this routine:
- Pick a random note, lets say G, then do all the first inversions of that major chord starting on the 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd string.
- Continue the same approact, but now with second inversion.
- Then third inversion.
- Then repeat the exercise with minor.

Meanwhile doing this, I try to focus on which notes are actually in the chord, and where the root lies.
I often find my self becoming unfocused fast, but it might be that I`m just impatient, and practicing this (not very physical practice) is very unusual for me.

Is the medicine more time, or do you have other suggestions how to do this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2020, 02:59 PM
Instructor
You can go to 12:00 here:

Regarding your triads question. That's good, the next step is to connect different major triads, following any chord progression. You can start with two chords, one measure for each one.

For example: D - G or D - Bb

Then combine Major and minor: Dm - G

Finally a longer chord progression: D - A - Bm - G

And the last one could be follow Little Wing progression with triads.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 3 2020, 05:16 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Cool advice, thanks!

Haven`t had the time to film any practice, the days just go by too quickly at the moment. BUT I am finding time for the practice according to the plan discussed, so things are being done.
I`ll try to find time either this or next weekend for a proper video update (or vlog, as they say) with some playing.

By that way, thanks for the riffhard podcast advice. I`ve nearly binged everything now!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2020, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Nice! Thanks for the update mate!

Yeah, that postcard is very inspiring.

I'll wait for your vid!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 9 2020, 10:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi Gab! Time for the wednesday update (which is what I aim for, though not always happening)! It may seem like I`m doing a bit over everything and nothing now, but I feel like I`m slowly making progress both here and there.

Technical training
I haven`t done any legato since we discussed the 30 min/day plan, but I`ve doubled down on alternate picking and downpicking.

I didn`t bother making a video for that, since I`m still making progress, but status so far:
- 185-190 bpm for Master of Puppets, strictly downpicking
- 165-170 bpm for Backbone (by Gojira)
- Almost ready for a REC on this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/ (I`ve used this for warmup for over two years, so I really need to get it done now! tongue.gif )

Improv-training
I am still experimenting with the major and minor triads, learning where the root, third and fifth are. Still not fluent, but I feel like my control is increasing.

New solos
Finally starting this one - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/. Learned half of this today, and will learn the rest on friday, then hopefully make a REC next week: ,

Analysis
I sat down to do another section on Remarkably Human. I`ve gotten a bit further, and tried to fill in the inversions and some basic theory. Feel free to take a look and comment. Also included me playing the chords.
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVb95pH...QG6rXJfVA/edit#
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUAV70Tlys...eature=youtu.be (sorry for the vertical filming)

After the lesson on dynamics and phrasing, maybe I`ll try to learn the lead?

And feel free to let me know if you think I`m doing too much at once. For instance, I feel like I`m focusing too much on AP and downpicking now, but in my head, it is mostly to give me headroom to write stuff for the band, and once I reach the work in progress goals above, I`ll change my focus.

Maybe a focus month per topic could be something? But I`d love to spar with you on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2020, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Some thoughts about 'Remarkably Human'.

Great job learning the chords!! smile.gif

I think that the song is in Eb minor key, and it includes some chords borrowed (modal interchange) from parallel modes and at least 1 secondary dominant.

Ebm/Bb - A6 - Abm - Absus2 - Bmaj7 - Badd6

That A6 chord sounds like a passing chord, some kind of chromatic approach to reach Abm which is part of Ebm. The Bmaj is also like a passing chord to the V7 which is not played in this case. He gets back directly to Ebm. This is how I would explain this, but remember that the way Nick gets it is by harmonizing the melody.

The chorus seems to be in Eb Mixolydian b6 which is the 5th modes of melodic minor scale. Nick use melodic minor a lot.

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 9 2020, 06:22 PM) *
After the lesson on dynamics and phrasing, maybe I`ll try to learn the lead?

And feel free to let me know if you think I`m doing too much at once. For instance, I feel like I`m focusing too much on AP and downpicking now, but in my head, it is mostly to give me headroom to write stuff for the band, and once I reach the work in progress goals above, I`ll change my focus.

Maybe a focus month per topic could be something? But I`d love to spar with you on that.

Thanks for your practice update. The quantity of material depends on the time that you have each day and how you organize your schedule. Do you use a notepad or anything to write down your routine/practice plan?

Focusing on 1 topic per month can be ok, but you should keep other topics in some kind of maintenance session routine because it can bee too much to avoid practicing AP for one month. (for example)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 16 2020, 07:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2020, 03:28 PM) *
Some thoughts about 'Remarkably Human'.

Great job learning the chords!! smile.gif

I think that the song is in Eb minor key, and it includes some chords borrowed (modal interchange) from parallel modes and at least 1 secondary dominant.

Ebm/Bb - A6 - Abm - Absus2 - Bmaj7 - Badd6

That A6 chord sounds like a passing chord, some kind of chromatic approach to reach Abm which is part of Ebm. The Bmaj is also like a passing chord to the V7 which is not played in this case. He gets back directly to Ebm. This is how I would explain this, but remember that the way Nick gets it is by harmonizing the melody.

The chorus seems to be in Eb Mixolydian b6 which is the 5th modes of melodic minor scale. Nick use melodic minor a lot.

Phui, I need to brush up my theory game a little. I am not quite sure if I get everything, but I have to get back to you with more specific questions after I go for the last sections.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2020, 03:28 PM) *
Thanks for your practice update. The quantity of material depends on the time that you have each day and how you organize your schedule. Do you use a notepad or anything to write down your routine/practice plan?

Focusing on 1 topic per month can be ok, but you should keep other topics in some kind of maintenance session routine because it can bee too much to avoid practicing AP for one month. (for example)

I try to write down and update my progressions in a Trello board, as you`ve previously suggested. It`s better than nothing, and it informs when I`m biting over too much...like now, lol.

I agree. I`ll keep AP in there in some portion, either as warm up or an exercise. Also, the more I listen to the Riffhard Podcast, and they talk about "who the hell has time for practicing technique in the late 20s/early 30s", I start to feel I am focusing down the wrong areas, and should rather try to write stuff/improvise. For now, this is just a thought, but something we might take into consideration. I guess it comes down to my goals.

And here is my first take on a solo you suggested way back in summer: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

Not perfect yet (as usual...), but it felt ready to collect some feedback.

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Sep 16 2020, 07:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2020, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Great to know that you are using Trello! I use it with my private students and it's excellent to organize routines and things like that. Recently I've been trying a new app for my personal organization, but Trello is enough!

I'll check now your new REC and comment there.

Regarding Nick's song. You are doing a good job. Theory is just to give names to the things that he is using. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't know about most of the concepts that he uses.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 18 2020, 09:50 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 17 2020, 02:32 PM) *
Hi mate!

Great to know that you are using Trello! I use it with my private students and it's excellent to organize routines and things like that. Recently I've been trying a new app for my personal organization, but Trello is enough!

I'll check now your new REC and comment there.

Regarding Nick's song. You are doing a good job. Theory is just to give names to the things that he is using. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't know about most of the concepts that he uses.

Very true. I try to have the same approach to theory myself: Not necessarily using it to write music, but to explain music in "concrete" terms.

Thanks for the feedback on the REC. I think I can do better with another week or two of practicing in a bit more passive manner. And whilst doing that, I`ll move over to this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...ics-phrasing-2/.

...Listening to that second video from Darius, I think I can say already now that it will take me some time to learn biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:23 AM