Demo Of A Song From August/september...
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 20 2020, 10:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
...or actually older, but the recording is not that old.

The wheels (of motivation) have kinda come off in regards to recording my album, even though I was about 7 songs out of 10 into it. I hit some road blocks and got some critique about the mix sounding flat, so I want to go back to it again and re-do everything at some point.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 21 2020, 12:23 AM
GMC:er
[attachment=51121:untitled.mp3]

At first I thought the guitars were high, then when made mono noticed your mono signal is very dark. Its late here so a quickie, I basically tilted the highs on the mono for demonstration.

When mixing a song, around 80% on the time one listens and adjust in mono. The tones are nice though so I don't think you'll spend much time fixing that mono darkness if you want to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2020, 01:07 AM
You made great progress. Seven songs is LOT especially when each one is actually given the time a good song needs. It could burn anyone out. The good news is that they are all solid and you have an entire new year to work on it. 2021 is going to be a good year for making music imho. You only have 3 songs leftt so you can do them at your leisure. Are you thinking summer release?

This one is sounding great. I really like the space them and samples used. Has a DT vibe which is a common thread for many of your songs as I know your a big fan. But it's not derivative. It still sounds original which is the hard part.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 20 2020, 05:54 PM) *

The wheels (of motivation) have kinda come off in regards to recording my album, even though I was about 7 songs out of 10 into it. I hit some road blocks and got some critique about the mix sounding flat, so I want to go back to it again and re-do everything at some point.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 21 2020, 04:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 21 2020, 01:23 AM) *
[attachment=51121:untitled.mp3]

At first I thought the guitars were high, then when made mono noticed your mono signal is very dark. Its late here so a quickie, I basically tilted the highs on the mono for demonstration.

When mixing a song, around 80% on the time one listens and adjust in mono. The tones are nice though so I don't think you'll spend much time fixing that mono darkness if you want to.

Can you explain what you mean by the mono signal being very dark?

I honestly didn't even think about mixing in mono, though I've heard and been told about it many times before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 21 2020, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 21 2020, 03:18 AM) *

Sure, quick history is as you know in the past TV, radio was mono so all songs had to sound good in mono as well as stereo. As their sources became stereo we noticed more and more that the better a song sounds in mono, it will sound better with stereo too (wider and balanced).

On your DAW main output track, there should be a mono button. So we basically use it to filter out stereo information and balance everything we hear to get a good mono sound. Think of the mono being the main dinner and the stereo info is the salt and pepper as an overall philosophy of a song.

I also suggest downloading this freeware; https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ place songs you like to analyze in your DAW and it will help identify source placement by muting the mono or stereo information, at the time was very educative for me.

Your track by the way isn't in anyway problematic just because you didn't mix in mono, overall balance is actually good. But when you listen with the plug-in I suggested with famous songs, I'm sure you'll get the idea why I brought up mono compatibility and as said shouldn't take too much tweaking.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 21 2020, 11:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Dec 21 2020, 12:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 20 2020, 09:54 PM) *

It gave me goosebumps as soon as I heard the Dream Theater-ish style. Especially the Kevin Moore thing where he used to put a lot of samples in DT's songs!!

I assume you will re-record it in a studio with a drummer/bassist etc and a producer?

Because if this is a demo, then why spend a lot of time perfecting the mixing? Your producer will do it for you.

I always thought of demos as a way to share a rough idea of the song's structure to the other band members, or to producers/record companies.

The demos of famous bands were not as good sounding as yours so kudos to you man!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 21 2020, 12:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Dec 21 2020, 01:31 PM) *
It gave me goosebumps as soon as I heard the Dream Theater-ish style. Especially the Kevin Moore thing where he used to put a lot of samples in DT's songs!!

I assume you will re-record it in a studio with a drummer/bassist etc and a producer?

Because if this is a demo, then why spend a lot of time perfecting the mixing? Your producer will do it for you.

I always thought of demos as a way to share a rough idea of the song's structure to the other band members, or to producers/record companies.

The demos of famous bands were not as good sounding as yours so kudos to you man!

Thanks for the nice words and compliments! I really appreciate it!

I don't have neither a drummer or bassist, so best I can do is to record the guitars at home, use virtual drums and bass etc. smile.gif

Here's another song from the album, in case you're interested in listening:

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 21 2020, 12:29 PM) *
Sure, quick history is as you know in the past TV, radio was mono so all songs had to sound good in mono as well as stereo. As their sources became stereo we noticed more and more that the better a song sounds in mono, it will sound better with stereo too (wider and balanced).

On your DAW main output track, there should be a mono button. So we basically use it to filter out stereo information and balance everything we hear to get a good mono sound. Think of the mono being the main dinner and the stereo info is the salt and pepper as an overall philosophy of a song.

I also suggest downloading this freeware; https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ place songs you like to analyze in your DAW and it will help identify source placement by muting the mono or stereo information, at the time was very educative for me.

Your track by the way isn't in anyway problematic just because you didn't mix in mono, overall balance is actually good. But when you listen with the plug-in I suggested with famous songs, I'm sure you'll get the idea why I brought up mono compatibility and as said shouldn't take too much tweaking.

Thanks, Mertay smile.gif I'll check it out. I wasn't sure what it meant that the mono signal being dark, but maybe I'll learn more with the freeware plugin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 21 2020, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael! Nice to see you getting back to this project! This is an enormous project because you are the performer, composer, mixer and producer. It makes sense that you work on this one in different stages.

I've already said that the compositions are totally killer! We've also talked about our different thoughts about where to take the production. At this point, I think that everything sounds very clear here. The best that you can do to continue polishing this one is to reference with another good sounding tracks.

Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:14 AM