Don't Have Enough Self Confidence When Playing? Start Here!
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor
I found this guy on Facebook today and I think he has a point on managing to overcome your fears and thus overcoming your self imposed barriers in letting our playing/ musicianship evolve. I think this is a good start and as our mate Ben Higgins used to say - 'The only opponent is within!
'

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Mar 8 2013, 05:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good topic mate!

I gotta look into this stuff more because yesterday in your video chat I didn't really comfortable in the "spotlight" situation, let alone confident.
And in general, Im not really good playing around other people. So definitely Need to work on this.
A lot of it probably comes down to practice and experience, but your thinking is definitely a part of it too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2013, 11:12 PM
Instructor
Man, your mind is all the matters - it makes the difference! There's this thing about visualizing yourself doing a certain something. Go ahead and imagine yourself playing in front of big crowds and knowing exactly what you'll do and when and how. Do it enough times and it will seem like a piece of cake - I've read in a few interesting articles and books that our mind has a tremendously powerful way of projecting our imagination into reality.

It felt strange when I asked you to sing, eh? smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Mar 9 2013, 12:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Interesting topic. I'm rethinking on this cause I practice hard but it doesn't come easy. I'd love to figure how to get more bang for buck in my practice time. Maybe visualize more before I pick up guitar? One thing I struggle with is say a tapping lesson I've just finished. I've played it say 400 times and I still know it could be better. I've played it say 200 times with very little improvement so I've really wasted time. I think I was hoping the next run would come through better, cleaner, more even sounding. But I don't really know how to.
Some say the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different out come. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Mar 9 2013, 04:12 AM
GMC:er
Excellent topic, I suffer from this quite badly, doubt always seems to fester in my mind just before playing something, I think it's getting better though because I'm becoming more aware of it, I hope to be rid of it all together soon as I'm taking my time to change my mind set before I play a difficult piece, I try to vizualize myself playing it before I play it but the doubt is still there so I'm giving myself a bit more time to focus on the positive.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Mar 9 2013, 09:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 8 2013, 11:12 PM) *
It felt strange when I asked you to sing, eh? smile.gif

Yeah! Definitely put me on the spot there!

And yes, the mind is a very powerful in influencing our lives. Ive read a lot of books on the topics too. But, like a lot of things in live, a lot of these concepts only work when you make a habit of doing them on a regular basis. Which unfortunately can be difficult to keep up at times.
Just like thinking positively all the time, Its so easy to let the negative stuff in to make a mess of things.

I am going to put more time and effort into it though. Seems like a pretty good cause! smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2013, 11:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I guess my childhood and teen years was useful in this respect.

I always sang, and when I started playing guitar I remember playing and singing Blowing in the wind in front of the school aged 10.
Played and sang in church from age 13 and was playing Biker Rallies when I was 17-18.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2013, 12:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Mar 9 2013, 08:28 AM) *
Yeah! Definitely put me on the spot there!

And yes, the mind is a very powerful in influencing our lives. Ive read a lot of books on the topics too. But, like a lot of things in live, a lot of these concepts only work when you make a habit of doing them on a regular basis. Which unfortunately can be difficult to keep up at times.
Just like thinking positively all the time, Its so easy to let the negative stuff in to make a mess of things.

I am going to put more time and effort into it though. Seems like a pretty good cause! smile.gif

It definitely is man and you can do it in your mind - not a special space smile.gif I am dealing with a lot of negative stuff myself a lot of times and sometimes it's so easy to fall in a deep pit of sadness or feel like you are too weak to fight against some things. But remember the fight goes in the same place as the training - your head smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 9 2013, 10:56 AM) *
I guess my childhood and teen years was useful in this respect.

I always sang, and when I started playing guitar I remember playing and singing Blowing in the wind in front of the school aged 10.
Played and sang in church from age 13 and was playing Biker Rallies when I was 17-18.

Bingo! You were out there doing it before you grew old enough to let your inner self start asking questions smile.gif I do believe this is one answer to the dilemma that most people have when regarding a performer - they grew up being exposed so they never let anything stand in their way when performing, just because it's a habit taught to them since early childhood smile.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Mar 9 2013, 03:12 AM) *
Excellent topic, I suffer from this quite badly, doubt always seems to fester in my mind just before playing something, I think it's getting better though because I'm becoming more aware of it, I hope to be rid of it all together soon as I'm taking my time to change my mind set before I play a difficult piece, I try to vizualize myself playing it before I play it but the doubt is still there so I'm giving myself a bit more time to focus on the positive.

Exactly! Visualize yourself doing this as easily as you wash the dishes or eat your favorite meal - with a little practice it will start becoming more and more easy smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:50 AM