Pimping My Les Paul Copy (advice Please)
Bondy
Oct 16 2007, 03:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Guys iam gonna beef up my les paul copy with some new hardware and iam not sure which pick ups to get i play mostly rock and some metal any suggestions would be helpful iam also puttting on new tuners bridge and tail piece pot kit and 3 way switch

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lefty01
Oct 16 2007, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
Hi.
I did the same as you. What brand is your copy? I'm just wondering...really does not matter.
I had a shop install a DiMarzio PAF in the neck, and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge. I'm very happy with the sound. As for tuners..you can try either Schaller or Gotoh..both are great brands.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lefty01: Oct 16 2007, 03:27 AM

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 16 2007, 03:31 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the reply its a rally les paul copy just looking where to buy the parts from do you know any good dealers on the web who ship worldwide

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
lefty01
Oct 16 2007, 03:33 AM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Oct 15 2007, 08:31 PM) *
Thanks for the reply its a rally les paul copy just looking where to buy the parts from do you know any good dealers on the web who ship worldwide

Hi.
Sorry, I'm in the USA...I'll have to bow out, and let some of our other memebers help you out more than I can.
All the best to you.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 16 2007, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Oct 15 2007, 10:31 PM) *

Dude i always tell people this go to Ebay!!That is were your going to get the best price on your guitar parts and they have any part that has been made by man on there.Lots of times you can even find a lot of parts for a insane price.Im getting ready to built 2 guitars and i wont buy my parts anywhere else but Ebay. smile.gif

Definatly you gotta change the humbucker's .Thats going to make the biggest difference in your sound

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Oct 16 2007, 03:39 AM
Learning Roadie
EMG's in mine.
i mainly play things like metallica, maiden, etc

but i also play the offspring, free, steppenwolf, lynyrd skynyrd.

works very well for both rock and metal

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 16 2007, 03:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Already looking on ebay buy cant seem to find some of the parts i need just bought a keely ds-1 for £49 bargain

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 16 2007, 04:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
+1 on the emg pickups, active 81/85 or passive hz-h4 as a low budget alternative

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 16 2007, 04:44 AM
Learning Roadie
ok found some but what the hell does f spacing mean
PAF Pro (DP151F)
Super Distortion (DP100F)
would that be a correct setup
£129.00 inc vat and postage sounds resonable

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
lefty01
Oct 16 2007, 04:48 AM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Oct 15 2007, 09:44 PM) *
ok found some but what the hell does f spacing mean
PAF Pro (DP151F)
Super Distortion (DP100F)
would that be a correct setup
£129.00 inc vat and postage sounds resonable

Hi.
Yes, those are the pickups, but I (think) the F-spacing is something to do with Fender...and you need to make sure the string spacing lines-up correctly. I have been told that the F-spacing holds no problem for putting them in another type of guitar, but check with someone to make sure this is correct. You can try: www.dimarzio.com I think they should be able to answer any tech questions you have.

This post has been edited by lefty01: Oct 16 2007, 04:49 AM

+Quote Post
symon
Oct 16 2007, 05:04 AM
just had emg's 81 & 85's fitted to mine it has grover tuners and holds tune really well i love the emg's
F-spacing is something to do with Fender

i think it actually for floyd rose bridge
warm regards symon

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 16 2007, 05:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the help guys it is to do with the spacing between the poles and floyd roses mine are 51mm from 1st pole to 6th pole on the both pickups which is f spacing really appriciate u pointing me in the right direction thanks again

How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.
Just for future ref to anyone thinking about doing this

This post has been edited by Bondy: Oct 16 2007, 06:09 AM

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 16 2007, 06:15 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Bondy,
as you're in the UK have a chat with the guys at Bare Knuckle pickups and/or Kent Armstrong (sorry don't have the web site to hand).

Also it might be worth you checking out someone like All Parts who sell all sorts of parts for guitars and custom builds, not just for pick ups but frets, saddles, bridges and so on.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:43 PM