2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How Much To Charge For Private Lessons?, It's for my cousin
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 4 2013, 10:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Apr 4 2013, 02:16 AM) *
Haahahaah !

The old rule is: with the family you can eat and drink, helping each other, but don't do any business !! wink.gif

I would second this. Honestly, this sounds like a situation that I would most likely avoid in most cases.
It often just doesn't work out and it can lead to unpleasant situations when friends/family are involved...

Regarding the price : check out how much local teachers charge in the area (there are lot of factors that go into price forming like your overall availability, how much experience you have etc so it can be tricky setting one).

Ask yourself to see if this is something your really want to get involved and if so why (getting into teaching, financial reasons etc...) - that should help you make a decision and when you do stay behind it fully.

I think your Dad is right - you should see how it goes with your new job first and then wage the situation.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2013, 08:20 AM
Instructor
Brandon, when I read 40$, I was like 'wow' laugh.gif I know we are talking about different countries and different prices based on the economical situation, but in here there is absolutely NO ONE in Romania that would charge 40$ on a guitar lesson... simply because it's too much.

Indeed, Bogdan's suggestion is good - how much do the guys in your area charge?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 5 2013, 12:13 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2013, 08:20 AM) *
Brandon, when I read 40$, I was like 'wow' laugh.gif I know we are talking about different countries and different prices based on the economical situation, but in here there is absolutely NO ONE in Romania that would charge 40$ on a guitar lesson... simply because it's too much.

Indeed, Bogdan's suggestion is good - how much do the guys in your area charge?

I agree Cosmin. I have a mate in the UK and he charges GBP15 for half an hour and GBP 30 for an hour which is $22/44.
It sounds expensive...but he has played with Ronan Keating/Lulu and other famous people...he knows his trade and can probably justify that price...I wouldn't pay him that though tongue.gif ....although he's a top notch Guitarist....taking that into account, I am sure any of the tutors here at GMC are equally as good if not better and anyone has the opportunity to learn from them....That begs the question, why doesn't your Auntie pay for him to get on GMC? (I realise the benefits of direct teaching...but internet learning is just as good IMO). smile.gif
I think price should reflect experience as somebody else mentioned earlier in this thread.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Apr 5 2013, 12:13 PM

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 5 2013, 12:20 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Apr 4 2013, 01:46 PM) *
No money but once a month some fine meal together and having fun !

Yeah Dieter, you're the only communist here besides me, i see biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 5 2013, 02:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 4 2013, 04:03 PM) *
I would second this. Honestly, this sounds like a situation that I would most likely avoid in most cases.
It often just doesn't work out and it can lead to unpleasant situations when friends/family are involved...

Regarding the price : check out how much local teachers charge in the area (there are lot of factors that go into price forming like your overall availability, how much experience you have etc so it can be tricky setting one).

Ask yourself to see if this is something your really want to get involved and if so why (getting into teaching, financial reasons etc...) - that should help you make a decision and when you do stay behind it fully.

I think your Dad is right - you should see how it goes with your new job first and then wage the situation.

Great thread & tons of great advice in it.

As Bogdan said, do some "Market" research. Check what other teachers are charging. Make anonymous calls or if the shop you use alot also has instructors, I'm sure they would be happy to tell you. I also like Jstcrsn's idea, charge the market rate & give him the 5th week free as a family discount.

I really like the point about if this is a path you are interested in going down. If so, this is your first student. When word gets out, there could possibly be more. This could be a good experiment to see if this is something you like. Then again, great guitarists don't always make great guitar teachers or you may find you don't really like the teaching aspect of guitar.

I also like the point regarding the Aunt paying for it. Is he really interested in actually learning to play, or does he really just love hanging out with Brandon. Will he be focused during the lesson or will he cut up like when playing video games? My first instrument was trumpet. My Dad played & my brother both played trumpet. My brother found a good friend of his to teach me, my parents did pay for it & I took it serious. My Mom tried to teach me piano & it didn't work.

Always remember that your time is still a limited resource, no matter if we're talking family or friends. When you are committed to a specific time every week, that's time you can't spend doing something else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2013, 02:38 PM
Learning Roadie
My vocal teacher charges around €50/ hour. She teaches me for free cos I'm awesome!

I would imagine good guitar teachers are around €30+

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 5 2013, 06:26 PM
Learning Roadie
I will be talking with him to see if he is really interested or if his mom just wants him to. but in any case - i can't believe i forgot about GMC! biggrin.gif yes! I can tell him about GMC! Then we could connect and he could practice when he wants. you guys would be here to help him and everything. But we'll have to see how it goes. my mom read this thread last night and she said, "Good advice Brandon - you should listen to them." happy.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2013, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Best of luck in this endeavor mate wink.gif Who knows how word will spread and you will have more students in your region?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:13 AM