2 Pages V  < 1 2  
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 18 2007, 07:15 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 18 2007, 07:39 PM) *
I'd have to agree - "The Dead" was when Joyce was still good. Ulysses and Finnegans Wake (I've actually managed to read half of FW) are, in my mind, probably the most mindblowingly impressive works of the 20th century, and yet they say absolutely nothing to me. smile.gif

To add a few more classics:
T.S. Eliot: The Wasteland - another cosmology, this time spanning about 5 pages, with some of the greatest lines of English ever put on paper. But not sure I'd call it a story.

Franz Kafka: The Castle - in my opinion, much more striking than "The Trial". Total alienation.

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude - not for its "clever" allegory of Columbian history - because I dislike art that turns overtly political - but for the way that fantastic, sometimes "supernatural" events, people, things are described so matter-of-factly that you just accept them as reality smile.gif Often called magical realism, but I seem to recall Márquez didn't like that term.

One of the popular choices (contrary to Star Wars and LOTR) that I do agree with: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, of course smile.gif

As much as I like Joyce I couldn't get past p30 of Finnegans wake. Made me very glad it didn't show up on any of my eng. lit syllabi.

A few others:

Really enjoyed Gunter Grass's The tin drum but am somewhat phased by his 2nd WW experience/confession and inability to comprehend why some are upset with him.

Solzenitsyn's Gulag archipeligo and Cancer Ward, brilliant but grim.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road - nearly finished reading this, great story.

F Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the night - just beautiful writing.

Sci-fi/Fantasy I'd still stay with PK Dick and maybe throw in William Gibson's Neuromancer. (Andrew does that mean the lterary strand and Sci-Fi strand have met in the middle now smile.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 18 2007, 07:29 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 18 2007, 08:09 PM) *
Monkey Island Series - as far as comedy in video games, there is absolutely nothing better. It's a crazy story filled with jealousy, adventure, evil pirates, evil ghost pirates, evil zombie pirates, evil demon pirates, talking skulls, and one mans dream to be swashbuckler. LeChuck is one of the greatest villians of all time, hands down. There was some list of the top 10 video game villains ever and I was seriously angry that he wasn't even on it!

Wow!

Until recently, the LucasArts adventures were the only games I would play at all. From Maniac Mansion up to Escape from Monkey Island (which was far from the strongest in the series). But yes, especially the Monkey Island series smile.gif Countless hours "wasted" on that series, from making programs to rip the games apart to arranging music, and even trying to fool people into believing that Monkey Island 5 was soon to be released (back in 2002). Aaah, those were the days. Wacky fun smile.gif

Also, Tim Schafer would like to remind everybody that he has nothing to do with MI3, unless it is a great success in which case he wants everybody to know that Guybrush Threepwood was really HIS idea.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 18 2007, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 18 2007, 07:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 18 2007, 12:29 PM) *
Wow!

Until recently, the LucasArts adventures were the only games I would play at all. From Maniac Mansion up to Escape from Monkey Island (which was far from the strongest in the series). But yes, especially the Monkey Island series smile.gif Countless hours "wasted" on that series, from making programs to rip the games apart to arranging music, and even trying to fool people into believing that Monkey Island 5 was soon to be released (back in 2002). Aaah, those were the days. Wacky fun smile.gif

Also, Tim Schafer would like to remind everybody that he has nothing to do with MI3, unless it is a great success in which case he wants everybody to know that Guybrush Threepwood was really HIS idea.

I'm not sure I could say which is the strongest in the series, I think I'd have to put it at 1 or 3 though, both of those are amazing. Not to say that two and four are lacking in any way though tongue.gif And I love the music! I have a bunch of it, even fan music tongue.gif There's a lot of monkey island reggae and metal out there biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 18 2007, 08:02 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 18 2007, 08:40 PM) *
I'm not sure I could say which is the strongest in the series, I think I'd have to put it at 1 or 3 though, both of those are amazing. Not to say that two and four are lacking in any way though tongue.gif And I love the music! I have a bunch of it, even fan music tongue.gif There's a lot of monkey island reggae and metal out there biggrin.gif

I'd say my favorites are 3, 1, 2, in that order. But 2 would be in second place, if 1 hadn't come before 2 wink.gif 4 had lots of good stuff ("Lua Bar... What's a lua?" was one of my favorites). But didn't like the story as much.

The music for the april fools thing was done overnight, which I can really tell now, 5 years later tongue.gif Also by chance heard some world music band perform a few Monkey Island pieces on a square in Prague once. That was pure magic... Michael Land, and especially Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnell really deserve to be mainstream composers smile.gif

Oops, better get back on track:

Anything by Neil Gaiman (other than Sandman, which I already mentioned), especially short stories. "Murder Mysteries" is much recommended.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 18 2007, 08:05 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 09:14 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Here are some more id like to add Bookwise.

R.A. Salvatore - Sellswords Series, and The Thousand Orcs Trilogy.

Bram Stoker - Dracula, Classic all time favorite.

And Movies:

Silent Hill
Star Wars
Hero
House Of Flying Dagger
Appleseed (2004-2005)
Macross Movies
Endles Waltz
Fearless (Jet Li)
Smokin Aces
Transformers
Black Snake Moan
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 18 2007, 09:50 PM
GMC:er
The Bible - You don't have to be a believer (I'm not) to appreciate this classic literary masterpiece. Really, I will say no more. Whether you think it's fictional or factual, it's full of great stories.

dang i forgot that, and yes, i agree with JVM.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 18 2007, 10:19 PM
Instructor

I don't want to sound like a preacher, as a lot of them are sometimes annoying to me..
But I have to say that Jesus' dying on the cros for human mankind is my favourite.
Each good books or stories I've read or seen contain elements of that original story.
I love it... It touches me everytime that I think about it...

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 17 2007, 11:47 PM) *
hello all out there in GMC, I have a fairly simple question for you today.

In your oppinon, what is the greatest story ever told? whether it be from a book, movie, story of someones life that you know, or a video game, what is it and why?

I ask this for one reason, someone on another forum asked this question, and after reading all the posts, i discovered some amazing material, Book, Movies and everything else, i wanna see what you here at GMC Consider the greatest story ever told. and this usually leads to some great discussions about authors, directors ect.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Mine are....

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX - To sum it up, there amazingly rich stories in a vibrant and ever changing world with characters i can really relate to on every level.

Luca Turilli - Anything composed by this man creates a beautiful word, and his "Villains" if you will are some fantastic and very interesting people, as are his "Heros".

John Marco's The Eyes Of God Trilogy (Book) - This author creates a classic world of magic, warfare, and an incredibly complex story with such a wide varierty of characters, all who are completely differetn, all who take seperate journeys, yet there fates path always cross.

King Diamonds Abigail I and II, and Give Me Your Soul...Please - A delicious horror story with some great twists, it will make you wonder what is, what isnt, and what could be...

Richard Mathesons Hell House - The only authori to write the only book that scared me, wonderfully scary story. If King Diamond wrote books, i imagine it would be something like this.

This post has been edited by Wallimann: Jul 18 2007, 10:18 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 18 2007, 11:08 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 17 2007, 11:06 PM) *
Ive only read the first 5 books, are the other ones just as good? and any idea when it ends, its probablt the longest series of book out there now.

The next book doesnt come out till next year sad.gif
And the series is good up to book 8, then books 9 and 10 arent too good.
Number 11 is great though.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 18 2007, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Jul 18 2007, 05:19 PM) *

I don't want to sound like a preacher, as a lot of them are sometimes annoying to me..
But I have to say that Jesus' dying on the cros for human mankind is my favourite.
Each good books or stories I've read or seen contain elements of that original story.
I love it... It touches me everytime that I think about it...

If you remember there is a movie about that... with the Same title as this Thread!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 18 2007, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 18 2007, 01:09 PM) *
Some of my favorites:

Video Games
Morrowind - its so intricate and there are so many details to discover, the whole isle of Vvardenfell is full of stories. The main plot of Dagoth Ur (it creeps me out how he's so polite to you and everything when you finally confront him) and the Nerevarine, along with the tribunal and bloodmoon make for some really memorable pieces. The game is an awesome experience.

[

Ah man, I'm beating myself because I forgot Morrowind, Gladiator, and Braveheart.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 22 2007, 09:44 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 18 2007, 01:17 PM) *
I could probably add Harry Potter too, actually, but I'll wait until Saturday before doing that. wink.gif

Finished the book yesterday night (don't worry, no spoilers), and now I can, with absolutely no hesitation, add the Harry Potter series to my list of top models of modern myth.

Enough said smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 22 2007, 09:44 PM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 22 2007, 10:11 PM
Harry potter.. heres my comment biggrin.gif.. edit it if its inappropriate.. and heres a spoiler..(not actually just a joke-its a quote from a critic).

Well for those who want to know who dies in Harry Potter... its...

God... according to a critic, the harry potter series is removing religion from our childrens lives.. any comments?

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 22 2007, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 22 2007, 05:11 PM) *
Harry potter.. heres my comment biggrin.gif.. edit it if its inappropriate.. and heres a spoiler..(not actually just a joke-its a quote from a critic).

God... according to a critic, the harry potter series is removing religion from our childrens lives.. any comments?

If thats true thats really sad. mad.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 22 2007, 10:27 PM
Harry Potter series.Brilliant books by J.K. Rowling.BTW I'm reading the final book right now...It's amazing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 22 2007, 10:41 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 22 2007, 11:11 PM) *

Hardly removing religion. Anyone who has actually read the books will know the themes correspond extremely well with religion - not least the last book (thankfully, it's not overt, nauseating allegory, as in the case of the - frankly - dreadful Narnia books - like Smikey said, delete if inappropriate). wink.gif

If it's "removing" anything - and a book can't remove anything at all in the first place - it can only add, even if what it adds is criticism of a topic. If it's "removing" anything to do with religion, it's warning against the dangers of organized religion (and again, far from overtly, this requires interpretation at a level that's most likely not even intended by the author).

As in, it's encouraging you to follow your heart and your beliefs, and see and acknowledge the consequences of your actions and choices, rather than following the words and orders of some authority without question. If anything, that idea is what certain fundamental Christians are afraid of in the Potter books - because it removes power from the earthly authorities that are such an important part of fundamentalism (but which, ironically, Christ himself attempted to obliterate).

I actually have a book (stashed away in a box, since I recently moved) by a "Potter convert" - a rather strict Christian, who keeps his children from things like TV, rock music etc. He used to rally against Rowling and her books too. I haven't read all of it, but his point is exactly this. That like all good stories (that's his view, and others, I see - I don't necessarily agree), the Harry Potter stories tell the same story as the story of Christ.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 22 2007, 10:49 PM

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 22 2007, 11:00 PM
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 18 2007, 06:17 AM) *
Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials - To me, the most relevant, human, piece of fantasy in existence. By extension, John Milton: Paradise Lost too.

Kaneda - You are my new best friend! laugh.gif

As many of you might have predicted from my name and the above comment, The greatest story ever told in my opinion is that of the His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman (which, as Kaneda pointed out, are an imaginative and child-friendly retelling of the basic ideas behind John Milton's Paradise Lost). Pullman is nothing less than a master poet. His words implant emotions of such intensity it almost provokes physical manifestation. His message is deeply philisophical and important in the world today. As Kaneda said - the most relevant, human piece of fantasy in existance.

I wouldn't be lying to you if I said these books changed my life.

This post has been edited by Pantalaimon: Jul 22 2007, 11:02 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 22 2007, 11:07 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jul 23 2007, 12:00 AM) *
Kaneda - You are my new best friend! laugh.gif

Why, thank you laugh.gif

As many of you might have predicted from my name and the above comment

You'll notice I gave a nod to your nickname in the topic of "Who would you have lunch with". It's a brilliant name, quite love it, almost wish I'd picked it, but then again, I'm not much like Pan wink.gif

I wouldn't be lying to you if I said these books changed my life.

The reason my favorites are "modern myths" is exactly that. One of them (Sandman) changed (or helped change) my life. The others could have, if they'd come earlier. Now they "just" affirm what I believe.

And what I said about Harry Potter above, from (one of) its message(s) to the criticism by christians, could be said about His Dark Materials too. Except for the bit about "telling the story of Christ", because I don't think anyone would ever imagine it did - quite the contrary. laugh.gif And yet, its themes and world view are very much the same as HP, interestingly.

To add a clarification:

QUOTE (Kaneda)
That like all good stories (that's his view, and others, I see - I don't necessarily agree), the Harry Potter stories tell the same story as the story of Christ.

What I mean when I say I don't necessarily agree, is two-fold. I don't agree that the story of Harry Potter is "the same story" as the story of Christ. That's stretching interpretation, even if there are similarities spread all around the books (there are similarities to all myths in almost any story).

I also don't agree that "all good stories (re)tell the story of Christ. Not just because I'm an (agnostic) atheist, but also because, again, I don't like simplifying things - including stories - in that way.

EDIT: And finally, to avoid insulting someone, a "myth" doesn't have to be fictional, so don't start an argument about me indirectly calling the story of Christ fictional. I didn't wink.gif Whether I think it is or not is irrelevant to this discussion.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 22 2007, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 22 2007, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 22 2007, 05:07 PM) *
Why, thank you laugh.gif

You're welcome!

You'll notice I gave a nod to your nickname in the topic of "Who would you have lunch with". It's a brilliant name, quite love it, almost wish I'd picked it, but then again, I'm not much like Pan wink.gif

Yes I noticed smile.gif Though I do identify with Pan in some respects, I wouldn't say I'm completely like Pan (or Lyra for that matter). The real reason I decided to make Pantalaimon my alias/avatar was to forever remind me of the idea behind daemons - the idea that we always have a companion and always have a conscience. I hold friendship, kindness, loyalty, and integrity very high in my list of values.

The reason my favorites are "modern myths" is exactly that. One of them (Sandman) changed (or helped change) my life. The others could have, if they'd come earlier. Now they "just" affirm what I believe.

And what I said about Harry Potter above, from (one of) its message(s) to the criticism by christians, could be said about His Dark Materials too. Except for the bit about "telling the story of Christ", because I don't think anyone would ever imagine it did - quite the contrary. laugh.gif And yet, its themes and world view are very much the same as HP, interestingly.

The His Dark Materials books came for me at that perfect molding stage of life (around 10-13 years old) when beliefs and perceptions begin to become solid - and, ironically, when Daemons settle laugh.gif Rereading it now that I'm a bit older (17 years old) is what you said "reaffirming what I believe." I think it's very interesting as you mentioned in another post how children's stories seem to have that unmatchable holding power. Children are influenced greatly by their parents, their peers, their teachers, their religious officials (if they have a religion), but also by stories - a very powerful entity. It's important that many diverse ideas and stories are available to children (making it also important that children READ and READ A LOT). I'm glad Pullman's books found their way into my hands. I wouldn't be the same without them.

This post has been edited by Pantalaimon: Jul 23 2007, 02:01 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 22 2007, 11:44 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 18 2007, 02:12 PM) *
I am beating myself up with a brick right now cause i forgot that!!

AHH!! HOW COULD I !?!?!

biggrin.gif

Also I got to add, Battlestar Galactica... The story is so freakin good, unique, mystical, magic, amazing, stunning... And its actually pretty realistic(in maybe a thousand years). They got all the details.

+Quote Post
J.E.
Jul 23 2007, 01:00 AM
Harry Potter is my favourite! i also like the story of lord of the rings and star wars

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:48 AM