3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
1700 Lessons, ...approaching 2000
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2009, 04:08 PM
GMC Founder
With two cool lessons from Jose and Ramiro we passed the 1700 mark today...

How are we doing - what do you think about the lesson updates? Are we shooting out lessons and missing the basics? Or are we perhaps covering things you already know? Are basic features in the lessons missing? Or are GMC lessons perfect? Maybe we are getting repetitive?

Let's get some discucssion going! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 15 2009, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
We are lacking new lessons by the so called *GMC Founder & Rocker* if you ask me... tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2009, 04:13 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 15 2009, 05:10 PM) *
We are lacking new lessons by the so called *GMC Founder & Rocker* if you ask me... tongue.gif

Noted - and no good excuses at all... I will try to improve this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
seagull
Jun 15 2009, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
Well, with 1700 lessons it can become repetetive at times, but as I discussed with David Walliman (when I met him on my road trip if I might add tongue.gif ) it doesn't bother me. With that many lessons theres gonna be different approaches on each technique, different genres and styles and different music! So I think you should just continue as you've done so far. smile.gif The site updates that you guys do with design and such are great too, nice with a change now and then!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 15 2009, 04:20 PM
It might be worthwhile to inject a few more mechanics / etude lessons on specific techniques to balance out the "full song" and "in the style of" types of lessons?

Of course, before posting this I decided I'd better search a few more times just in case and I am finding at least one lesson for each of the little techniques I tried, but that is still 1-2 lessons focusing on those techniques... out of 1700.

Well anyway, to be more precise (and helpful, I hope) the least results came from a search for dynamics.

Setting all that aside, I believe there's a huge diversity already being covered by the 1700 lessons; I don't see the curriculum lacking in any serious way.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 15 2009, 04:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Some celtic and composition lesson would be nice, but I think the spread of lessons is very good as it is. Celtic is not so important as its not difficult to teach myself celtic songs, but some composition lessons would be cool.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jun 15 2009, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2009, 04:23 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 15 2009, 05:20 PM) *
It might be worthwhile to inject a few more mechanics / etude lessons on specific techniques to balance out the "full song" and "in the style of" types of lessons?

Of course, before posting this I decided I'd better search a few more times just in case and I am finding at least one lesson for each of the little techniques I tried, but that is still 1-2 lessons focusing on those techniques... out of 1700.

Well anyway, to be more precise (and helpful, I hope) the least results came from a search for dynamics.

Setting all that aside, I believe there's a huge diversity already being covered by the 1700 lessons; I don't see the curriculum lacking in any serious way.

Interesting - definitely something to think about for our instructors!

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jun 15 2009, 04:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (seagull @ Jun 15 2009, 11:20 AM) *
Well, with 1700 lessons it can become repetetive at times, but as I discussed with David Walliman (when I met him on my road trip if I might add tongue.gif ) it doesn't bother me. With that many lessons theres gonna be different approaches on each technique, different genres and styles and different music! So I think you should just continue as you've done so far. smile.gif The site updates that you guys do with design and such are great too, nice with a change now and then!

Did you get back home safely? :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
seagull
Jun 15 2009, 04:29 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Jun 15 2009, 05:27 PM) *
Did you get back home safely? :-)

Yeah we did! smile.gif Absolutely broke and satisfied. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 15 2009, 04:36 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
There's not enough (not nearly enough) rythmguitar lessons in my opinion.
Especially beginner lessons!
I've been thinking about applying myself, to get some rythm lessons out with different difficulties..

There's been a few lately though, so hopefully there's more to come smile.gif
Other than that, I'm very happy with the lessons!
High quality and very well explained most of the time smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2009, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Excelent topic! Your opinions are very important for us! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 15 2009, 04:45 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I agree with most that was already said here. Sometimes it may be little repetitive but not very much, and what is more - even if few lessons are not so very different - they still provide bit different ways of playing the same thing, and it is a good thing.

What I like is when instructors make a lesson that is different from the "main style" he composes lesson in. For example every time David brings us a metal lesson, there are always few comments "yeah, make more lessons in that style please!". It gives even more diversity in my opinion, because of unique style and music interpretation of each instructor.

All in all although there are so many great lessons that I won't be able to learn them all in the upcoming years, I still check GMC main site everyday to see the new lessons - that's the kind of magic wink.gif

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Jun 15 2009, 04:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 04:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2009, 05:44 PM) *
Excelent topic! Your opinions are very important for us! smile.gif

+1
I can't agree more with Gabriel here. Gives us all you got guys !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Jun 15 2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe some more "licks lessons". I'm not shore about this but sometimes I just need some licks (for instance some fusion licks using different techniques) to use in my improvisation instead of full song lessons that have a proper context of themselves.

I'm not certain if I explained myself well. But sometimes it's hard to use licks that the instructors put on their song lessons on a different context. Maybe you desegree...

But well GMC is excellent and that will never change!

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2009, 05:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 15 2009, 05:36 PM) *
There's not enough (not nearly enough) rythmguitar lessons in my opinion.
Especially beginner lessons!
I've been thinking about applying myself, to get some rythm lessons out with different difficulties..

Very good point! We are definitely very "solo-oriented" at GMC!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 15 2009, 05:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is a hard formula to improve upon, we have a lot of stuff going on in the forums as well as the regular lessons updates and such.
I think the lessons are great but maybe some other guitar related lesson topics should be paid more attention, certainly there are questions every week on recording, making backing tracks, using a DAW etc however much we tell ourselves that we are just musicians this site relies quite heavily on the ability of people to record and such.
A great addition would be a "Develop your tone" masterclass, the instructors are always getting asked how they get their "Sound" how about some tutorials on developing good tones for different genres?
My last point would be the interaction of the tutors on the forum, the ones that contribute (We all know their names!) seem to do all the running on this side of things and a bit more involvement from some of the other tutors would be great.

Thanks for this thread Kris, its nice that you take an interest in our opinions!

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 15 2009, 05:34 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Very good discussion and feedback. smile.gif With so many instructors and lessons, I think it would be cool to have some mini-masterclasses within the site.

For instance, The Instructor could open the class similar to a collab ( I think Pedja has mentioned doing this) with a certain area in mind, i.e legato, sweeping, tapping etc. with a lesson plan prepared.

Students could then sign up and practice until a passing grade is given to them by the instructor of the class. some will progress faster than others of course but as long as the instructor is always available to answer questions, then it should not be a problem.

If we could get a good number of Instructors involved, then there would always be plenty of classes to go around.

All in all, I think the site is awesome and the current structure works. This is just an idea to possibly add to the GMC experience. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 05:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Jun 15 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Very good discussion and feedback. smile.gif With so many instructors and lessons, I think it would be cool to have some mini-masterclasses within the site.

For instance, The Instructor could open the class similar to a collab ( I think Pedja has mentioned doing this) with a certain area in mind, i.e legato, sweeping, tapping etc. with a lesson plan prepared.

Students could then sign up and practice until a passing grade is given to them by the instructor of the class. some will progress faster than others of course but as long as the instructor is always available to answer questions, then it should not be a problem.

If we could get a good number of Instructors involved, then there would always be plenty of classes to go around.

All in all, I think the site is awesome and the current structure works. This is just an idea to possibly add to the GMC experience. smile.gif

Thank you for mentioning this Skennington !
I already do in class type collaborations with wider topics but once I get Instructor board there will be far more technique as well as theory and harmony discussions on my side smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jun 15 2009, 05:50 PM
We need more lessons from the man himself, Kris!!!

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 15 2009, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would love to see a series of spoken theory and harmony lessons.
Classical harmony compared with Jazz/modern harmony concepts (differences, similarities). Cadences, inversions, use of instruments, etc .. maybe even composition analysis. Everything to become a more complete musician smile.gif

Theory is well explained in a lot of lessons, but it is of course mainly guitar related. I guess more knowledge in harmony would be helpful to be able to compose songs and create more complex backings.

If this could be done would be awesome !!

smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:40 PM