3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
1700 Lessons, ...approaching 2000
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 06:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 15 2009, 07:42 PM) *
I would love to see a series of spoken theory and harmony lessons.
Classical harmony compared with Jazz/modern harmony concepts (differences, similarities). Cadences, inversions, use of instruments, etc .. maybe even composition analysis. Everything to become a more complete musician smile.gif

Theory is well explained in a lot of lessons, but it is of course mainly guitar related. I guess more knowledge in harmony would be helpful to be able to compose songs and create more complex backings.

If this could be done would be awesome !!

smile.gif

I like the way you are thinking Andy, would definitely love to do those type of lessons. The only question that remains is how to structure them into a lesson ?
Theory and harmony requires a lot of spoken video (if not 95% spoken 5 % audio examples), so how many spoken videos do we end up with for one topic ?
Shoot me a private message I am open to suggestions !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slash48
Jun 15 2009, 07:08 PM
GMC:er
I realy like paivas idea of giving us some more guitar licks that we could improvise with in the lessons. Maybe we could even have a contest where you give us just a few notes to play from a lesson and we see who can make the most, and coolest improvised ideas out of those notes! just a thought smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 15 2009, 07:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 15 2009, 07:58 PM) *
I like the way you are thinking Andy, would definitely love to do those type of lessons. The only question that remains is how to structure them into a lesson ?
Theory and harmony requires a lot of spoken video (if not 95% spoken 5 % audio examples), so how many spoken videos do we end up with for one topic ?
Shoot me a private message I am open to suggestions !

Concerning theory, Andrew's table of content could be a good start.
The same for harmony. I guess at universities they often use some standard books to give a structure, get an overview to learn the musical language and then go deeper in each topic with exercises.

The spoken videos could be done like a seminar at university, with paperboard, note sheets and if needed audio example.
Something like this .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 15 2009, 08:15 PM) *
Concerning theory, Andrew's table of content could be a good start.
The same for harmony. I guess at universities they often use some standard books to give a structure, get an overview to learn the musical language and then go deeper in each topic with exercises.

The spoken videos could be done like a seminar at university, with paperboard, note sheets and if needed audio example.
Something like this .. smile.gif

I have tons of books for this and structured content for each topic. The problem is how to make a lesson out of it to fit GMC format of lesson , backing tracks slow videos etc. Here you don't have slow videos but rather spoken explanations and analysis, so thats a bit different I think smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 15 2009, 07:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 15 2009, 07:20 PM) *
I have tons of books for this and structured content for each topic. The problem is how to make a lesson out of it to fit GMC format of lesson , backing tracks slow videos etc. Here you don't have slow videos but rather spoken explanations and analysis, so thats a bit different I think smile.gif

I like this idea too, after all Kris pioneered the 101 spoken lessons which I still refer to and were a major attraction for me to GMC, some people just want to learn great licks and stuff but others may want to start to delve into the art form a little more, surely theres room at GMC for both?
I do think that they should be carefully structured lessons though with some semblance of being able to progress from one to the next in graduates of difficulty, if you get what I mean.....

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 08:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Jun 15 2009, 08:26 PM) *
I like this idea too, after all Kris pioneered the 101 spoken lessons which I still refer to and were a major attraction for me to GMC, some people just want to learn great licks and stuff but others may want to start to delve into the art form a little more, surely theres room at GMC for both?
I do think that they should be carefully structured lessons though with some semblance of being able to progress from one to the next in graduates of difficulty, if you get what I mean.....

Absolutely Sted, 100% with you.
Couple of months ago I created a very detailed lesson plan that included 100 lessons (for starters) covering a lot of things we are talking about now basically. I have only scratched a surface so to speak with Interval Series being first step to whole plan. There will be other series happening when I finish this one (3 lessons left to complete it now).
The same goes for theory and harmony. In my opinion they would be much easier to do as the emphasis are on content and not backing tracks and original material. I can basically do 10 spoken lessons a month vs only couple of Series lessons if you get what I mean smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 15 2009, 08:40 PM
Instructor
I will prepare one big rhythm series if anyone is interested, from basic strumming to more advanced strumming patterns.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2009, 08:51 PM
GMC Founder
Some great brainstorming going on here! I agree that we are lacking quite some topics that require a bit more of a "spoken" lesson type.

To make this kind of lesson work with the GMC format - I think the Ivan or Andrew approach is the one to take.

Lots of "theoretical" content - but the lessons still gives any user (regardless of previous experience) an impression of what the topic is about, thanks to the main video teaser. Also I think these two instructors have managed to give theory topics a very inspiring presentation - which I think is important for the lessons to gain popularity.

Pedja maybe this kind of structure is something for you to try?

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 15 2009, 09:40 PM) *
I will prepare one big rhythm series if anyone is interested, from basic strumming to more advanced strumming patterns.

Sounds like this would be appreciated! smile.gif (we have lots of metal rhythm lessons, but not quite as much about blues/rock/pop rhythm guitar)

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 15 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 15 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Yeah mate, I would be, you just cant neglect rhythm playing!! I'm sure there would be a lot of uptakes!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 15 2009, 09:07 PM
GMC:er
What about a GMC Theory Book or something or perhaps video theory book. I really agree with Andy that theory needs to be spoken and structurered really cleanly beacuse it gets very messy when writing names of notes, chords, intervals in a forum post.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 15 2009, 09:22 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 15 2009, 09:40 PM) *

That would be appreciated! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 15 2009, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Kristofer I will check out Ivan's and Andrew's spoken lessons and get back to you about that - sounds like a good idea right now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jun 15 2009, 10:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
First things first : thank you ! smile.gif
The site is great already and I am really enjoying it.

I agree with the guy saying something about some rhythm lessons missing. smile.gif

Perhaps we could add some more lessons about recording as well. Basic recording, like what's a sequencer, what's a microphone, what's a VSTi, what's this and that and how to make a simple record on Reaper or whatever program or perhaps every program. How to build a backing track step by step to cover a song or a lesson.

Because we are speaking about recording everywhere on the forum but nobody teach us that. And when you start as a complete newbie, you get lost. I know that because I am one. wink.gif

Something I was always thinking about is a table or something like a table where we could find what effect to use to give what feeling to a sound. Not sure I am clear here. But I am not a sound engineer. I know when it sounds good or bad. But for example, if I would like to create a slow melody or a blues song, what kind of sound should I use? Should I use a compressor, chorus, flanger or rotary? Or am I going to try all of them? How the sound will be affected by a compressor? More kick, more strength? etc... What's the difference between a 4x10 and a 4x12 cab?

That's probably just a wiki page though. Not sure how that could be achieved and if it's possible.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 15 2009, 11:34 PM
Instructor
OK, starting to work on the series right now smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jun 16 2009, 01:38 AM
Instructor
Very cool ideas, I'll try to think something related to those topics.
But I've already tried some ideas for beginners and many other things, sometimes theorytical, that I think the general public of GMC is not interested. Would be really cool for me that the ideas in this post turn into more lesson requests for the instructors.
I think many instructors could satisfy the interests of the students regarding specific topics. In my personal case I've never had a lesson request that was required for many students, and I think this kind of posts are really great to see those requests in one place, thanx Kris for put this in motion smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 16 2009, 10:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (sted @ Jun 15 2009, 08:26 PM) *

True, the structure is important. This could be done with a table of content in the forum (like Andrew's theory board). Step by step each topic will be filled with a lesson. I don't think to find a structure is that difficult. If you compare some standard classical theory and harmony books, their are often quite similar.

Maybe these lessons one by one will at first not be the most popular, but as a complete package one day, it could grow to a unique source to study and add huge value to GMC. The views in the theory board are quite high smile.gif, so i guess there is an interest in this.

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 16 2009, 10:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 16 2009, 10:02 AM) *
Maybe these lessons one by one will at first not be the most popular, but as a complete package one day, it could grow to a unique source to study and add huge value to GMC. The views in the theory board are quite high smile.gif, so i guess there is an interest in this.

Absolutely! The cool lessons will get people in the door, but if you want to progress as a musician these lessons would become invaluable!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 16 2009, 10:28 AM
GMC Founder
I agree with your train of thought!

I had a discussion with Andrew about this - and we actually discussed doing a video series which strictly follows his theory syllabus. It has been "tested" and appreciated so it could be a very good starting point!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 16 2009, 10:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Awesome news Kris !!
It will be a lot work i imagine... can't wait to see this happening smile.gif

Great would be if this syllabus can be even extended, normally the 2nd book for music studies. I'm dreaming a bit ... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 16 2009, 10:58 AM
Instructor
I spoke to Andy last night about this and I will get on it very soon. Hopefully there will be interest from members to study theory and harmony via video lessons smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:08 PM