Abrsm Theory Exams
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 23 2007, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 02:27 PM
Lets go fishing!
hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 23 2007, 02:27 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 23 2007, 02:37 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 23 2007, 01:27 PM) *
hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif

Where can you get that information from? Have you a link at all?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 02:48 PM
Lets go fishing!
sure! more info can be found here http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams

smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 23 2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 06:30 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 02:50 PM) *
Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif

Thanks man, i may be doing 4 but see how it goes smile.gif My music teacher gives me tips on how to answer questions too, it all helps ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 23 2007, 08:01 PM
I bought the Music Theory in Practice book for Grade 1 and past papers from last 3 years for Grade 1. I am looking forward to starting my Music Theory Road smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 24 2007, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 01:22 PM) *
I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?

I skipped straight to grade 5, then did 8, so I'm not 100% sure about the grade 1 syllabus. But I assume it will deal with basic key signatures, note values, time signatures, maybe some basic harmony (notes in chords etc). Nothing too swish, so with 5 years guitar behind you I'm sure you'll ace it. smile.gif

Edit: Just got your PM dude, yeah no problem bring your grade 1 workbook to your first lesson with me and we'll spend some time on that too!

This post has been edited by David.C.Bond: Dec 24 2007, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 24 2007, 11:30 AM
I did have another question. Once you get Grade 2 in Theory does that totally cancel out Grade 1. So if you get Merit for Grade 1 and Distinction for Grade 2 then all you need to worry about is Grade 2 Distinction?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 24 2007, 11:34 AM
Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 24 2007, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 24 2007, 10:34 AM) *
Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?

Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 24 2007, 11:55 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 24 2007, 10:36 AM) *
Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.

Cool, thats a good idea.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:28 AM