> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 105 106 107 108 109 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Sep 5 2019, 01:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Gab, it is beautiful to read that, to see someone use "fewer" instead of "less" in the right place is awesome and even more so from a non-native English speaker. brilliant. nice one cool.gif .

I'll work hard on targeting chord tones over the next few days, and the REC lesson.

Cheers buddy.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2019, 02:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 5 2019, 09:31 AM) *
Gab, it is beautiful to read that, to see someone use "fewer" instead of "less" in the right place is awesome and even more so from a non-native English speaker. brilliant. nice one cool.gif .

I'll work hard on targeting chord tones over the next few days, and the REC lesson.

Cheers buddy.

Excellent! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 9 2019, 08:35 PM
Hello Gab,

I was away this weekend at the British Super Bike with our sponsored rider Christian Iddon. So I've only had one practise session. I'm struggling to come up with ideas and focus on chord tones, so I spent some of my practise time relearning this software in order to create the image below. It's funny how when you do things like this you suddenly start to see things on the fretboard that aren't always apparent when playing. I think this might be a good addition to the scale generator, having different colours available for notes of your choice.

Anyway, I think this will help but I wanted to ask if it's ok to add those G notes into the improv? They are chord tones but not in the Major pentatonic, they're just in a good position. If I shouldn't do that, or if it's something for late, I'll remove them but I do think it will help me, for now, to have the chord tones highlighted. If you agree, I'll do this for the other scale, (the modified D minor pent) and put it into my revision folder.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2019, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

This is a good idea! It's ok to add G note to the scale since it's a chord tone. You are starting to discover the best scale choice for dominant blues: Mixolydian mode. smile.gif Mixolydian mode is a major scale (with a major third) with a flatted 7th (minor 7th). That G note is b7.

"Mixolydian. The mixolydian mode begins on the 5th scale degree of the major scale, and the naturally occurring half steps are between the 3rd & 4th and 6th & 7th scale degrees of a major scale. It's pattern is W W H W W H W. Think of this as a major scale with a flatted 7th."

This information is not relevant for your practice now, but it's good to know the theory behind it. For now, it's important to visualize chord tones, pentatonic scale, and yes, you can add b7.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 10 2019, 09:38 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think that diagram will help and I'll do one for the other scale and see what I discover as I do it. In time I will learn where the chord tones are without looking and this will hopefully help my ear smile.gif

All my time tonight was taken coming up with something for the collab and recording the videos. I just have to accept I can't fit it all in but it's all practise one way or another wink.gif

I hope it's okay as you asked for it to be slowed down wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2019, 03:01 PM
Instructor
I love your takes for the collab mate, I've already recorded my response!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 11 2019, 09:07 PM
Thanks Gab, I've replied there, awesome the way you mimicked my chopped off notes and then showed me how to take it further.

Before I add this to my revision folder can you please check I haven't made any silly mistakes. I really recommend that Neck Diagrams program, it goes quite deep and isn't expensive. All of that below is one img file, it would be great for you as a tutor to print things off for your students wink.gif https://www.neckdiagrams.com/

Thanks

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 11 2019, 09:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2019, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Everything looks great Phil! I'll check that site, thanks!

About the collab... man, it's awesome to see how musical you are when improvising over collabs. Your phrasing is pure music, very tasty, and I noted the same in Kris Jams with GMCers take. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 12 2019, 08:41 PM
WOW, thanks for your comments Gab, "pure music" wub.gif I just need to get the time in to be able to translate that skill to when I'm following chords in my 12 bar area of learning, gotta earn it wink.gif

I'm enjoying it again now, I am much less stressed about it. I was always beating myself up about "lack of progress", I always felt the need to please my instructors, which meant I always felt the need to explain why I couldn't practise or, explain that I was actually doing all I could but life was getting in the way etc etc. This may have looked like excuses, they weren't! they were reasons but now, I think that you know me well enough, you know I do what I can when I can and if something takes a long time it's for a reason, either I haven't had enough time due to one thing or another; it's just something that is hard for me at this time in my journey or a combination of those things.

Lo que sera sera

Thank you buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2019, 10:02 PM
Instructor
I understand mate, and I know that you really work hard to progress as a musician. I’m really enjoying our work together, it’s very inspiring.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm glad you feel that way and don't think I'm slack in my practise, my post on your FB wall says it all.

I have to say this blues thing, following the chords is, for me, really really hard. It's light years away from playing one scale pattern over everything which, as you know, I'm not too bad at, I will stick at it though, I've got the REC lesson and Todd's stuff to make me feel like I'm progressing wink.gif

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 16 2019, 08:15 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 16 2019, 08:59 PM
Further to my message above, I had to get something to you Gab,

It's a terrible take, I know, but I had to break away from that drum track for a while and go a little bit random just to see what happened. I think I've been locked into that drum track and the other backing in my current revision folder for too long, I'll go back to it tomorrow but I'll also do some of these random things like below, creativity seems to flow better, it just needs to come together. Gotta earn it wink.gif

I tried to follow some kind of semblance of a chord progression and I tried to at least start strumming a new chord at the beginning of a bar but I was having to watch the bar counter in Reaper though laugh.gif To be honest, a couple of times I wasn't looking and when I looked up I was near the money. Some of it is learning to play in time, I was tending to rush, a LOT when practising before this take, and when I thought it was time to change, I was only halfway through a bar.

I have to say, I can play the chords much better than this just strumming away but when I try to play lead bits in between, my fingers get confused, it's almost like panic mode rolleyes.gif

For the record, I've noticed I missed the first click on the click track so the count in is 2, 3, 4, oops.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/sloppy-dominant-blues

Any ideas on how to maybe break this work down into smaller chunks to stitch together in a few weeks? If that makes sense?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 17 2019, 07:14 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2019, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Well done mate!

You already have a good base with this and you need to know that this is a never ending journey. I recommend you to keep this type of Blues Jam / Improvisation practicing into your diary routine, keep me updated, incorporate new shapes in the future, but while working on other complementary stuff like GMC blues lessons, learning songs or licks from your héroes and other stuff as well.

As you've said that your main goal is to improvise blues without backing track, you need to keep this in your diary practice. But the best way to become better at it is not only to practice it, it's also to learn phrases and solos from other guitarists and create variations.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 17 2019, 03:16 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yes it makes perfect sense. I found it a little easier having a quicker tempo going, I guess we all have a tempo we feel more comfortable at, once I'm very comfortable at that hello, I think, and correct me if you think different, then I'll follow a genuine 12 bar progression and then show it down and spread it up. Then slowly move into rock blues and classic rock.

I recorded that after listening to the mp3 you made for me that I rediscovered when I opened up soundcloud for the first time in a long time.

For now, I'll do this every day and send a recording every few days and we'll take it nice and slowly.

I hope all of this is okay with you.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2019, 05:29 PM
Instructor
Sure mate! You can share as many takes as you want here. 😉

I think that the most comfortable tempo is the one that we practice more. Don’t you think so? 🤔

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 17 2019, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 17 2019, 04:29 PM) *
I think that the most comfortable tempo is the one that we practice more. Don’t you think so? 🤔

Hello Gab,

I'm sure it is but I'm not sure it's a good thing, then again, I'm not sure it's a bad thing either. Learning guitar is more about learning HOW to learn than anything else imho, it's about learning to overcome one's own (In my case) stubbornness when you need to take a sideways step for a while and then go back, (I hate anything to be me and it can be a HUGE hinderance). It's about really enjoying times in one's own comfort zone and learning how to accept that one needs to get well out of the comfort zone and enjoy the challenge. It's about learning that you haven't failed if you can't do something, "you've only failed if you stop trying" (Jon Gordon).

“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” - Denis Waitley

Cheers buddy, Lo que sera sera

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 18 2019, 09:21 PM
Hello Gab,

further to the above, I don't know if you saw the thread but THIS came today. I've unpacked it and it's awesome. I'm going to slowly set it up so that I can still practise daily (except for this evening when unpacking, basic setup and starting the sync with OneDrive took all my time.

It's a dedicated audio machine just for my guitar practise as my current one is too sluggish when rendering etc.

THIS is the based model I had it built on.

HERE is the info on their Pro Audio machines and how they test etc.

Obviously you don't have to read it all but it might help to have the info if you need to spec a new machine ever.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2019, 03:30 PM
Instructor
Congrats on your new machine mate!! That's a bomb!! Love it.

I'm sure that it will bring lots of inspiration. smile.gif

I've checked everything and I'm not sure about this.... what makes it "dedicated audio" ?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 20 2019, 08:07 PM
Thanks GAb,

Maybe "dedicated audio" was a bad choice of words, "optimised for audio" would have been better.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/fully-teste...io-workstations

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/audio-pc-processor

Scan 3XS audio workstations are engineered to complete your studio setup and we offer options no matter what your level of experience. All of our digital audio workstations (DAW) are tested and configured for the optimum compatibility with music sequencers, and designed from the ground up to offer the best in low latency performance, squeezing the very best from the system and working to enhance your workflow. With options that include completely passive configurations that are perfect when space is short and you need to setup in the recording space, all the way up to high performance workstations perfect for artists working completely in the box from start to finish. No matter how you choose to work and with which tools, we will have a DAW PC that you can configure and personalise into your ideal studio solution.

Further info just scroll down to the grid of info here https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/daw-digit...station-pcs#anc

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2019, 04:00 AM
Instructor
That's very interesting. Thanks for the info mate.

From what I can see, these doesn't include sound interface, does them?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 105 106 107 108 109 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:12 AM