Is Taking Printed Music To An Audition Looked Down Upon?
purple hayes
Sep 23 2008, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I'm a lot rusty with auditioning, but I'm audition as a bass player for a "bar band/garage band" tomorrow evening. They gave me a list of about 20 songs that they play, mostly Allman Brothers, Clapton, Hendrix type stuff.

I had them narrow down the list to 5 songs for the audition. I've got 2 down to where I can play them without printed music and I can probably fake a third song, but 2 of the songs I don't think I can get through without the tabs there with me.

If I whip out tabs at an audition, will they roll their eyes and send me packing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
opeth.db
Sep 23 2008, 07:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Sep 23 2008, 01:58 PM) *
If I whip out tabs at an audition, will they roll their eyes and send me packing?

Not to pee in your corn flakes but....

If it was me I wouldn't hire ya. I know we are looking for a bass player presently for my band and if we said learn a couple of tunes for next practice and he came in with tabs. To me it says he didn't bother to memorize the tunes and also says he may have a hard time improvising on the spot.

But thats just me. dry.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 23 2008, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
ya, its probably not a good idea to look at tabs

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 23 2008, 07:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I have to think that because it is their songs that they want you to play on short notice it shouldn't be a problem. If you showed up to play anything you wanted...and STILL needed tabs, I think that would be worse. It would certainly be better not to need any though!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Sep 23 2008, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 23 2008, 02:28 PM) *
Not to pee in your corn flakes but....

If it was me I wouldn't hire ya. I know we are looking for a bass player presently for my band and if we said learn a couple of tunes for next practice and he came in with tabs. To me it says he didn't bother to memorize the tunes and also says he may have a hard time improvising on the spot.

But thats just me. dry.gif

That's why I'm asking here. Better to get opinions here than look like a dork at the audition. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to pull off 4 of the songs "well enough" by tomorrow that I won't need tabs and the 5th song I'll just have to wing it.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:57 PM