3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Why More People Play Guitar Rather Than Bass?
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 07:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Feb 22 2008, 07:50 PM) *
No man, everyone starts to play guitar, to impress girls, really biggrin.gif

Thats the (true) reason why we all start to play surly , but what instrument that depends smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 22 2008, 07:53 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 22 2008, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Feb 22 2008, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 22 2008, 10:53 AM) *
Thats the (true) reason why we all start to play surly , but what instrument that depends smile.gif

What about Elton John. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (swingline @ Feb 22 2008, 07:55 PM) *
What about Elton John. laugh.gif

Can't debate over that one !! smile.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
Feb 22 2008, 08:11 PM
Because chicks likes guitar player

I like the way you think.

--------------------
Look left------->-------------->------------>-----------> I said left!!!!!

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 22 2008, 08:39 PM
Playing bass is not synonymous with my massive guitarist ego. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 22 2008, 09:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Also.. I noticed this even at shredding and more advanced stuff - its NECESARRY to play with band.. otherwise.. as soloist.. you cant show off that much, because without bass, drums etc it doesnt sound that good..

I think, that same goes for bass guitar - its dependant on other instruments.

On the other hand acoustic players - take Bjorn Berge - he doesnt need anything.. anyone else.. he plays bass, guitar, drums (stomping on floor) and sings at once:) That makes a lot.. with guitar you can at least sing and play chords.. with bass.. not.. So its harder to impress and have fun when you dont have band..

Btw. I plan to go for base at some time.. I just love its sound:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Feb 22 2008, 09:18 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Sami
Feb 22 2008, 09:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Feb 22 2008, 07:50 PM) *

hahah not true for me, around the time that i started guitar it upset my gf alot cause she felt as if i was doing what she wanted to do(music, yeah she was kinda selfish lol) and it led to us braking up haha. I have to admit it does help with girls, but i find i care about my guitar more than i do girls tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 22 2008, 10:39 PM
Instructor
in my openian most of people like an melodyc instruments .and they like to hear a melody
more than rythmic instruments .

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 10:46 PM
QUOTE (Sami @ Feb 22 2008, 09:33 PM) *
hahah not true for me, around the time that i started guitar it upset my gf alot cause she felt as if i was doing what she wanted to do(music, yeah she was kinda selfish lol) and it led to us braking up haha. I have to admit it does help with girls, but i find i care about my guitar more than i do girls tongue.gif

Than you are on a good way my friend! smile.gif

QUOTE (Hisham @ Feb 22 2008, 10:39 PM) *
in my openian most of people like an melodyc instruments .and they like to hear a melody
more than rythmic instruments .

Yes I think this may be the strongest point here! People that start to play want to be able to play at home songs and often sing along or allow other to do it..With bass its little hard to do..But than again playing both instruments at home along with favorite CDs can be fun (if you don't sing just play) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
heyoka05
Feb 23 2008, 12:24 AM
honestly i believe its because everyone wants to do the sweet solos and insane riffs dont get me wrong bass is awsome too but im really(like many others) drawn to guitar. but dont diss bassists they are a crucial part of a band.
later

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 23 2008, 12:37 AM
I played bass before switching to guitar, it was just easier for me to make music by myself with guitar. Since I like Rock based music and Rock is usually guitar oriented.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 23 2008, 12:47 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Well adding to my earlier post I gotta say, I just got back from a rehearsal where we are forming a new band a was trying out a drummer, we still need a Bass player so the other guitarist and I shared Bass duties for tonight and my finger tips are bloomin killing me!! Not only that but the slightest "off" note and it sticks out like a sore thumb, playing the guitar you can get away with the odd slip here n there, most people dont even notice unless its super bad, but on the Bass you hear everything!

I already had respect for Bass players but tonight has just bought a whole new meaning to the word "respect"!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 23 2008, 12:50 AM
It's just the more popular instrument, and, sadly, I think the reason most people today get into music is just because they think it's cool. dry.gif

+Quote Post
wylde guitar
Feb 23 2008, 01:20 AM
I'd say either that more people play guitar because of these things
1. Girls Girls Girls
2. More easily shredded on
3. When listening to music guitars louder
4. More famous guitarists than famous bassists, so more influence
5. Guitars kick ass laugh.gif

--------------------
As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool.

-Eddie Van Halen

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 23 2008, 04:22 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 22 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Well adding to my earlier post I gotta say, I just got back from a rehearsal where we are forming a new band a was trying out a drummer, we still need a Bass player so the other guitarist and I shared Bass duties for tonight and my finger tips are bloomin killing me!! Not only that but the slightest "off" note and it sticks out like a sore thumb, playing the guitar you can get away with the odd slip here n there, most people dont even notice unless its super bad, but on the Bass you hear everything!

I already had respect for Bass players but tonight has just bought a whole new meaning to the word "respect"!

Yeah, I did a good few rehearsals where I stood in for a bass player - I really enjoyed it, it gave me a whole new take on the music, but it seemed like hard work compared to guitar (probably just my perception). Overall I was glad to be back in guitarland, with a healthy respect for Bass Players who belong in a twilight between percussion and guitar, and who are absolutely essential to a good band!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 23 2008, 07:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 22 2008, 07:53 PM) *

Because Guitar is Sexy cool.gif wink.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Seamonster
Feb 23 2008, 07:55 AM
I played bass for years. I loved it, but later on I got interested in playing neoclassical, and it just made sense to switch to guitar.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 23 2008, 02:33 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 23 2008, 12:47 AM) *

In rhythm off note will stick out ok..But I thought the opposite , Its easier to notice mistakes of vocals and guitarists live , because they are in higher frequencies..With bass you are going to notice it too but you won't exactly (as audience member) know what happened and who is to blame..In time you can learn not to play off notes and rather just skip them and not play those notes at all..When my mind wonders off on stage and I hit mistake I just momentarily stop playing at that moment and quickly concentrate on whats the next note and continue there..So I just make a brief pause there and that is surly unnoticeable..Of course if you are going to miss basic roots of the chords that guitar plays that is going to be heard surly! smile.gif And yes fingers will hurt but you will very fast get "on the track" as with everything.. smile.gif I'm really glad you had this insight on bass playing Smells smile.gif

QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Feb 23 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Because Guitar is Sexy cool.gif wink.gif

But bass is so much bigger and guitar after that looks like a little toy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 23 2008, 02:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 23 2008, 02:35 PM
Singing Instructor
first of all..great topic...I think that is because guitar is trough history become popular and attractive instrument,more than bass..and it is more of a front man instrument then bass.but then again there is Lemmy:)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 23 2008, 02:42 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 23 2008, 03:22 AM) *
Yeah, I did a good few rehearsals where I stood in for a bass player - I really enjoyed it, it gave me a whole new take on the music, but it seemed like hard work compared to guitar (probably just my perception). Overall I was glad to be back in guitarland, with a healthy respect for Bass Players who belong in a twilight between percussion and guitar, and who are absolutely essential to a good band!

I was so glad when we swapped and I was back on the guitar, I agree also it really was or seemed hard work in comparison, but I guess thats all about knowing the instrument.

BTW Bogdan I think this was a great topic !

I`ve never really thought about "why guitar compared to Bass", I guess for me I prefer playing the melodies (not that I`m that melodic lol) and I just love the sound of a crunching screaming guitar, as I mentioned earlier my brother plays the Bass and hes always said he just much prefers the concept of Bass, driving the band along with the drummer and prefers the deeper tones from the Bass.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:20 PM